Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Worse service question

I've noticed several people feel they have worse service when on the DP. At what point do you have to tell them you are on the DP when you go to TS?

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

That's the first thing they ask you, haha.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
AquamarineSteph
Mouseketeer

The last time we were at WDW, the server would always ask when he/she first arrived at the table if we were on the dining plan.
AquamarineSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Bummer. Thanks Mousekeeters!

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

They ask you first, so that they can explain what is included at their restaurant with your particular dining plan. This varies a lot more than you might think, for example, certain non-alcoholic drinks may be included at one restaurant and not another.

I have found that I had far worse service when not on the dining plan than when on it. But as always, YMMV.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #6
kaybird
DIS Veteran

We have never had poor service because of the DDP. They ask you as PP's have said, so they can explain the options to you. There are A LOT of people out there that don't understand. Not everyone is on the DIS!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
DJFan88
DIS Veteran

I've never encounted that at all. Actually it should be the opposite. You're bill is going to be way higher and you leave a tip, so they will get a bigger tip from you. When not on the dining plan, I would never order the same.
In fact, I only remember one bad service meal at Dis that was so bad that I remember it, and it was totally the attitude of the server and I don't think it would've made a difference one way or the other. It's a shame too, because the food there was excellent, but my DH won't go back!

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

while I have only used the DP a few times I have never seen any difference in service.
When the tips were included years ago maybe this would have been an issue.
I would think anyone can have bad service maybe the server is having a bad day or little tips.....
I would think this stems from the tipping debates where some believe people on the DP tip less and the people paying cash tip more
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamarineSteph View Post
The last time we were at WDW, the server would always ask when he/she first arrived at the table if we were on the dining plan.
Same here...
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFan88 View Post
I've never encounted that at all. Actually it should be the opposite. You're bill is going to be way higher and you leave a tip, so they will get a bigger tip from you.
Your bill wil be higher under what scenario? On plan? Off plan?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I've used the DDP several times and haven't noticed that the servers were ruder than when I didn't use the DDP. I've run across wonderful, amazing servers at WDW and some that were pretty bad. I don't think it has anything to do with whether you're on the DDP or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Your bill wil be higher under what scenario? On plan? Off plan?
Perhaps the poster was comparing it to a bill if you paid OOP and wouldn't have normally ordered as much. Let's say your on the DDP, so you get an entree and a desserts. Some groups might order an entree a person, but then share a dessert when paying on OOP. However, if you're on the DDP you might as well order the full entitlement. So in this case, the bill will be "higher" because of the extra desserts.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post

Perhaps the poster was comparing it to a bill if you paid OOP and wouldn't have normally ordered as much. Let's say your on the DDP, so you get an entree and a desserts. Some groups might order an entree a person, but then share a dessert when paying on OOP. However, if you're on the DDP you might as well order the full entitlement. So in this case, the bill will be "higher" because of the extra desserts.
Perhaps. But I dont think the poster's statement has much merit. The bill will be way higher on the DP? Many don't go on the DP (like us) since we want an appetizer, and don't want dessert right after dinner. And the appetizers aren't cheap.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I have never had bad service when we had the DDp but we do find that the servers tell you NUMEROUS TIMES that the tip is not included. Over and over.

I guess they have been stiffed so many times by ppl thinking the gratuity is included that they are now paranoid that ppl won't leave them a tip.

We have told the servers we would be paying the tip in cash and have even had the servers kind of stalk the table and linger close by so they could rush over when we left the table to see if we really left them a tip.

I am curious what they would have done if we hadn't to tell you the truth. But it was very awkward and uncomfortable. It happened almost every meal.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
I've noticed several people feel they have worse service when on the DP. At what point do you have to tell them you are on the DP when you go to TS?
As others have said, you are usually asked about the DDP at the beginning. With that said, we have had the DDP with and without tips included, as well as paid OOP on some trips, and we have always had great service regardless of how we were paying.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #15
kddisney502
P: What's the problem with Goofy?
L: Wish I knew, he's fine with Pluto.

We've never seen a difference with or without the dinning plan. I believe there's too many other factors to know for sure if the DDP is the reason for bad service (different servers, busyness of the restaurant, problem in the kitchen, etc).

Please don't hold back on telling the server if you're on the plan. Not only will it help you know what items are included or not included, but it also helps your server. My understanding is that dinning plan checks have to be rung up differently and it's much easier on your server if they know that first thing, so they can ring it up correctly. It can also help you get your check faster and with less mistakes.
kddisney502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: