Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Port of Nassau

We will be in Nassau October 30 aboard the Disney Wonder. I did some investigating last night and saw that there will be atleast 4 other ships in port that same day! Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, NCL Sky, and RCCL Enchanment. I have never been to Nassau-can the port comfortably handle this many ships in one day or will it be crowded? I was thinking about paying for a beach day at a resort if we don't book a shore excursion through Atlantis but if things will be crazy we might just stay on the ship and book spa treatments or something. Any guesses??
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
dandjfla
DCL addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhelgren View Post
We will be in Nassau October 30 aboard the Disney Wonder. I did some investigating last night and saw that there will be atleast 4 other ships in port that same day! Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Fascination, NCL Sky, and RCCL Enchanment. I have never been to Nassau-can the port comfortably handle this many ships in one day or will it be crowded? I was thinking about paying for a beach day at a resort if we don't book a shore excursion through Atlantis but if things will be crazy we might just stay on the ship and book spa treatments or something. Any guesses??
We were there on a three night cruise in March and we were one of 5 ships in port that day! It didn't feel overly crowded to me though. We took a water taxi over to Atlantis to walk arou d the resort/aquarium but I really wish we had stayed on the ship My personal feeling is I would not spend money for a beach day at Nassau since you will be making a stop at Castaway. Have fun whatever you choose!

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Can anyone else chime in on whether or not to get off the ship that day? I plan on spending the entire day on the beach at Castaway Cay which is the day before Nassau, so we might be worn out because our port days are 3 in a row this cruise. Atlantis looks like something my kids would enjoy but I really want to relax this trip so if getting around and Atlantis will be packed it might not be worth it for us.
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
dznyacct
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can anyone else chime in on whether or not to get off the ship that day? I plan on spending the entire day on the beach at Castaway Cay which is the day before Nassau, so we might be worn out because our port days are 3 in a row this cruise. Atlantis looks like something my kids would enjoy but I really want to relax this trip so if getting around and Atlantis will be packed it might not be worth it for us.
I vote for staying on the ship . Nassau is a dirty port in my opinion and not worth getting off the ship for. Stay on board and enjoy all that the ship has to offer !
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyacct View Post
I vote for staying on the ship . Nassau is a dirty port in my opinion and not worth getting off the ship for. Stay on board and enjoy all that the ship has to offer !
Ditto We avoid cruises that stop in Nassau can not stand the place
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

It really depends on what type of excursion you do. I had the same dilemma when I booked a double dip on the Dream, with two CC days I didn't think we should get off in Nassau.

This was my sister's first cruise so I ended up booking a dolphin experience at Blue Lagoon. It's a tiny little island and so easy to get there. We did the excursion through DCL. It was as easy as getting off the ship and walking just a few feet to where we waited for a boat to take us to the island. There are different animal encounters to do or you can just relax on the beach. Here's a link to their site: http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com.

The area of Nassau near the ships isn't very enticing, it's true that it's dirty and I wouldn't have enjoyed trying to do any shopping or sightseeing on my own there, but again, Blue Lagoon was nice. Being on a shorter cruise you might enjoy staying on the ship instead but thought I'd post our experience.

Have fun!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
ChristineandLiv
Mouseketeer

I know I am a minority, but I really liked Nassau. We did the Blue Lagoon, and it was great. The ride over was beautiful, and the person who took us over was funny AND told us a lot about the houses along the island and who lived in them. There are more things I would love to explore in Nassau--pirate museum and Atlantis to name two. I think it really does depend upon the excursion and what you want to see/experience in the port.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Callymum
DIS Veteran

Nassau is like Marmite. You either Love or Hate it. I wasn't a great Fan when we were there.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

We always get off, and often walk over to Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase! The staircase is quite lovely, and the fort has really nice views of the ships in port and the city itself. It's about a mile walk (you can cab if you prefer...we just love the stroll), and the staircase is free (if there is a local giving the history of the area to you, then a tip for him if you so like). There is a $1 per person charge for the fort...not a bad deal at all! They also have guides in the fort (similar to the local at the staircase) although we never use a guide there since it is all pretty self-explanatory.

Junkanoo Beach is also just a stone's throw (15 minute walk at most) from the port. It's nice...not overly beautiful, but a good place to put your feet in the water. I much prefer the staircase/for though.

Oh yes, and if you have passports you can get them stamped just outside of Festival Place (the building you must walk through to leave the pier area).

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Another vote for getting off the ship. We got off and walked to the Pirate Museum, DS6, loved it and then we walked across the street to the Hilton where I had pre-booked our day pass there. Had fun on the beach and pool and took the short walk back to ship at the end of the day.
A very nice and relaxing day

Upcoming Southern Caribbean 1/16.
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Not sure which Atlantis excursion you were considering, but if it is the Aquaventure I found this post I replied to a few weeks ago about our experience there...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3127164

If you've never been to Nassau, I would recommend at least getting off the ship for a little bit and experiencing it for yourself. I didn't find it to be that bad, but YMMV.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I think your kids will only enjoy Atlantis if you are doing one of the excursions that lets them use the water facilities. Otherwise they are just going to wish they could use the pool/slides/lazy river. Yes it's a neat place but if all the kids can do is look around at all the stuff they can't do, they won't have much fun. In that case I'd just stay on board.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Kendal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12 View Post
I think your kids will only enjoy Atlantis if you are doing one of the excursions that lets them use the water facilities. Otherwise they are just going to wish they could use the pool/slides/lazy river. Yes it's a neat place but if all the kids can do is look around at all the stuff they can't do, they won't have much fun. In that case I'd just stay on board.
We don't the Atlantis tour with a 8 year old we never seen the water park.... He knew u was there but we never went over to it.... He had a great time looking around at the aquarium it was a little pricey but was something different we har done something different everytime... We promised him tht when he was older we would do the water park but we all had a blast

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Kendal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendal View Post

We don't the Atlantis tour with a 8 year old we never seen the water park.... He knew u was there but we never went over to it.... He had a great time looking around at the aquarium it was a little pricey but was something different we har done something different everytime... We promised him tht when he was older we would do the water park but we all had a blast

Sorry was supposed to say we did the Atlantis tour

Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We always get off in Nassau even if it's just to walk around and by few souvenirs. Many of the resorts in the area offer a day pass which will make for a good beach day. We had planned to purchase a pass at the Sheraton on Cable Beach on our trip a few weeks ago but unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. You can't always count on a beach day at Castaway if the weather is bad. We had rain both days but still managed to have a great time.

I would also like to mention that when we were at Nassau a few weeks ago, there were 3 Carnival ships in port with us. The time before that we had 2 carnival, 1 RCCL, and 1 NCL. Never had any overcrowding issues.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: