DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

A couple questions to help with gathering info

I've been reading these boards for a while trying to better understand the DVC so my DH and I can make the best choice for our family. With that said, I know that if we do buy in, it won't be for at least a year or two so I have some time to continue to learn (and save).

Here's some questions I still have:

1. Would it be a bad decision to buy one contract around 100 points at first and buy a second contract later? What things do I need to consider when doing this?

2. I am pretty sure I want our home resort to be BLT and we will vacation mostly in January with it sometimes falling in February. What's the best UY? How many months do you get to bank your points for that year?

3. How soon should we buy if we are wanting to go and use our points in January of 2016? We may wait until after this trip to buy, but in case it works out before then, I want to know how soon we would need to do it. I'd guess in time to make our 11 month booking window?

Thanks for any help! I feel a little slow in understanding all of this but I sure do enjoy reading and slightly obsessing over it!
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
drusba

DIS Veteran

1. Not a bad decision. Many start that way. Its the minimum purchase through Disney and one desired in the resale market. Later contract may cost more per point than first one. Also, if you go resale for that first contract, you may not find one with just 100 points. Of course at resale prices you can buy about 150 points for the same price as 100 new points from Disney.

2. If Jan or Feb is usual time, Dec is ideal use year month but you could easily go back as far as Sep. Many recommend a use year that starts shortly before you usually go and that would mean Dec use year for you because there is no Jan use year. The issue has nothing to do with when you can go (any time of year) or when you can call to reserve (always 11 months out at home resort). It simply has to do with what happens if you have to cancel and iif you do can you bank the points. You can bank any or all of your points into the enxt use year on or before the last day of the eighth month of your use year (July 31 if Dec use year). Thus if you have to cancel a Feb trip in Dec, you will still have plenty of months before you have to bank and almost a year to use the points. If you have a March use year and cancel a Feb trip in Dec, You cannot bank because you are beyond the eigth month and you will ned to use all the points before March 1, less than three months away.

3. You would be able to reserve Jan 2016 at your home resort in Feb 2015. If buying resale, you will want to buy by late Oct/early Nov 2014 to assure everything is completed by Feb 2015. If buying from Disney you can wait until late Jan 2015 since you can make reservations quickly after agreeing to buy..
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

That's a huge help! Thanks! I think we will probably wait until after our next trip then to buy. I doubt we are ready next year and my DH is more likely to be onboard after our next trip probably.
DCL Dream- February 2015
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
abner1776
DIS Veteran

On the booking issue it depends on whether or not you are buying resale or direct.

Direct purchasing thru DVD you can count back the 11 months and then add another month just to allow DVD to process your application and such but generally in buying direct you can use your points almost immediately.

If buying resale you need to plan further ahead not only to find a contract that you want but to allow enough time for DVD to pass on ROFR and for the paper work to be processed. So count back 11 months and then allow another 3-4 months for processing the application and such.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunprincess View Post
I've been reading these boards for a while trying to better understand the DVC so my DH and I can make the best choice for our family. With that said, I know that if we do buy in, it won't be for at least a year or two so I have some time to continue to learn (and save).

Here's some questions I still have:

1. Would it be a bad decision to buy one contract around 100 points at first and buy a second contract later? What things do I need to consider when doing this?

Thanks for any help! I feel a little slow in understanding all of this but I sure do enjoy reading and slightly obsessing over it!

That is what we're doing 100 pts at GFV and then adding. I totally enjoy the reading and obsessing too
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
DaveInCali
Calling Aulani, Saratoga Springs and The Villas at Grand Floridian Home!

Just keep in mind that whether you buy direct or resale, prices may go up. If you aren't looking at VGF, then go with a property that works for you, considering that a resale contract won't allow you to book with Disney Collection (I.e., cruises, Disneyland Hotel, etc.).

In terms of use year, consider the "rule of four" which means that if you cancel a reservation during that last four months of your UY, your points are stuck in that use year until you use them. So make sure your UY is before you usually travel.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInCali View Post
Just keep in mind that whether you buy direct or resale, prices may go up. If you aren't looking at VGF, then go with a property that works for you, considering that a resale contract won't allow you to book with Disney Collection (I.e., cruises, Disneyland Hotel, etc.).

In terms of use year, consider the "rule of four" which means that if you cancel a reservation during that last four months of your UY, your points are stuck in that use year until you use them. So make sure your UY is before you usually travel.

Good luck.
We would definitely do resale. That much I do know! LOL
DCL Dream- February 2015

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: