Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

Free Dinning thought..

With this years free dinning window shrunk down to a smaller window over previous years from 9/2 to 9/25, the window of time that people capitalize/wait for this essentially pushes more people into this smaller window...which should in theory, increase crowd levels for those days, destroy the prediction calendars, etc....Do you feel this is accurate?

--Thor
Tbiafore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

If you think that many people fall for the "free dining" scam and base their whole trip around it...paying rack rates for their hotels, then yeah. Crowd calenders usually take all this into effect though anyway.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"
JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbiafore View Post
With this years free dinning window shrunk down to a smaller window over previous years from 9/2 to 9/25, the window of time that people capitalize/wait for this essentially pushes more people into this smaller window...which should in theory, increase crowd levels for those days, destroy the prediction calendars, etc....Do you feel this is accurate?

--Thor
I think it's a possibility, especially because the window is so short as of now compared to past years. I could see people moving their trips to Sept, from either August or October (if they are able to!).
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
If you think that many people fall for the "free dining" scam and base their whole trip around it...paying rack rates for their hotels, then yeah. Crowd calenders usually take all this into effect though anyway.
It wasn't a scam for us. I did the math and we came out way far ahead with free dining.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
rhpools
Mouseketeer

I agree. We always get the best deal with free dining, but we always stay value.

June 1995 All Star Sport
May 2004 Boardwalk
Feb 2008 All Star Music
August 2008 Pop Century
September 2010 All Star Movie
August 2011 Pop Century
September 2012 All Star Sport
rhpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not sure where you got this information from...My trip dropped drastically when this came out and due to me having the flexibility to change dates, I canceled my previous trip which wasnt during this window and rescheduled. Saved thousands....Doesnt sound or feel like a scam to me...

--Thor
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Tbiafore
Mouseketeer

I am just mostly concerned about the potential for a record breaking September due to Dining dates being much shorter (baiting people into a tighter window).

--Thor
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
lauradis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not sure where you got this information from...My trip dropped drastically when this came out and due to me having the flexibility to change dates, I canceled my previous trip which wasnt during this window and rescheduled. Saved thousands....Doesnt sound or feel like a scam to me...

--Thor
They meant free dinning is a scam, because its over prices for what most people would normally order if they didn't feel like if was "free". plus you give up discount on room price for "free dinning"
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradis View Post
They meant free dinning is a scam, because its over prices for what most people would normally order if they didn't feel like if was "free". plus you give up discount on room price for "free dinning"
Yes I know exactly what they meant. And I still say it isn't a scam. We are military and still staying at a moderate with free dining package was the cheapest option for us. I don't like to worry about what I order on vacation and kids like character meals.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This "scam" works a whole lot better for a family of four Disney adults than a measly 5% or 10% room discount! Believe me....I'm a number crunching, bargain hunting, coupon clipping, penny pinching, dollar saving mom and I've done my homework...and then some!

It may be a "scam" for a couple staying at a deluxe resort who get a great room discount. But for us families struggling to give our kids a trip to Disney, staying at Values (or now Moderates), and wanting to do some of the special dinners, it's a HUGE savings!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Disneylifeforme
Mouseketeer

Believer in the dinning plan. I love the fact that its all ready paid and I don't have a coronary when my child ask for a $4.99 ice cream.
Disneylifeforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
chrystalc77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylifeforme View Post
Believer in the dinning plan. I love the fact that its all ready paid and I don't have a coronary when my child ask for a $4.99 ice cream.
Love that!!!! I felt like having a coronary when my youngest DS wanted a bag of gummies in the food court until DH reminded me that he could use that as one of his snack credits! Love those credits for just that reason!!!
chrystalc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:

--Thor
Not everyone who visits the parks stays onsite. Free dining does not influence their decision as to when to visit Disney. Plus, there are a finite number of Disney resort rooms that are available through the deal. I think that the smaller booking window will not have a major impact on crowds. The Sept crowd calendar on easywdw.com was updated on 5/14/13 . Free Dining was announced on 5/6/13. They took the new dates into account when they updated their calendar.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Not everyone who visits the parks stays onsite. Free dining does not influence their decision as to when to visit Disney. Plus, there are a finite number of Disney resort rooms that are available through the deal. I think that the smaller booking window will not have a major impact on crowds. The Sept crowd calendar on easywdw.com was updated on 5/14/13 . Free Dining was announced on 5/6/13. They took the new dates into account when they updated their calendar.
I was just thinking about this last night. Free dining might increase the number of people staying on site during those dates but will have no effect on people staying off site and because schools are in all over the country off site visitors will be in the lowest numbers more than off setting the increase in on site. BTW does Disney offer all rooms with free dining during this time or only set aside a certain percentage?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
I was just thinking about this last night. Free dining might increase the number of people staying on site during those dates but will have no effect on people staying off site and because schools are in all over the country off site visitors will be in the lowest numbers more than off setting the increase in on site. BTW does Disney offer all rooms with free dining during this time or only set aside a certain percentage?
They only set aside a certain number. In fact, they may not include all resorts and may even exclude certain rooms within a participating resort (i.e. no LM rooms at AoA or no suites at the deluxe resorts).

They will also have different booking codes for the same offer but for different demographics. Disney Visa cardholders have access to a different block of rooms than the general public and people who got PIN codes have yet another block of rooms available to them. They could all be for free dining. Sometimes people will see rooms available at the rack rate but the same room is not available with free dining. It's because when Disney has discount offers, they limit the number of rooms available for the discount.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: