Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #61
bcanterbury
Earning My Ears

I agree with those who can not stomach H&V or 50's diner...you can tell the food comes out of the same kitchen and it is a mass produced mess. Am not big on buffets to begin with, but H & V takes the cake. We always go on a meal plan, but unfortunately the time we ate there we planned a spur of the moment trip w the fam over a break...Good reservations were hard to come by. it seems like they get harder to come by every year. so book early friends or you may be spending a small fortune on food you think they need to pay you to eat.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
bcanterbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #62
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
I had no idea what to expect with 50s Primetime. I'm not a Disney expert. It was highly recommended to me when I called to make Disney dining reservations so I went on blind faith. I didn't try to picture the decor beforehand and I just wasn't impressed with it. But that's me. To each his or her own.

As for the food, I couldn't believe how bad my meal was. I don't eat meat other than fish so there was only one thing on the menu I could eat - whole wheat spaghetti and "faux" meatballs. The whole thing tasted - literally - like cardboard. I had one bite and I had to stop. My DH and kids were also very unhappy with their food. It was probably the worst meal I'd had anywhere ever - not just Disney.
Maybe you should have done a little research beforehand since you have food restrictions - looking at menus and reading reviews? 50's is a themed restaurant that serves comfort food - I wouldn't suggest it for vegetarian/pescitarian. I believe they used to have a fish special though.

Also, please forgive me if I can't take this entirely seriously - you said you only ate one bite, so how do you know the whole meal literally tasted like cardboard?

Perhaps if you told us more about what was wrong with everyone else's meal it would help...?
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #63
Claudia Kellenberger
DIS Veteran

For me - I have always loved the 50's Prime Time. Months before vacation I already knew that I was going to order the "sampler" dinner. This is some of the pot roast, some of the fried chicken, and some of the meat loaf. I already knew that I probably would not eat the entire thing. MOST of the dinner was good, except the meat loaf was truly disgusting. The fried chicken was fabulous. The next vacation that I ordered there, I told the CM that the fried chicken was as wonderful as the meat loaf was gross. So .... they just gave me the plate of the pot roast and two pieces of chicken instead of one.
This worked out well.

I usually vacation solo, and I find that the 50's décor, and the TV sets entertain me while I am eating. ( I grew up in the 50's )
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #64
theelfqueen
Mouseketeer

My worst Disney Dining Experience was definitely at the 50s Prime Time Cafe -- the food was TERRIBLE.
WDW 10/07
WDW 5/03 and 10/03
theelfqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #65
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
I think it would be more helpful, perhaps, if people said what food they got at each restaurant that they didn't like..

:
This please - there are so many generalizations on this thread. Could y'all at least say what dish was bad at a particular restaurant even if you don't want to specify why?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #66
mrcarder
Mouseketeer

Tony's - dessert was ok, but food was very average or less, and service was not good. Off our list.

Yak & Yeti counter - food was all mushed together, not fresh, no flavor.

LeCellier - we kept giving it chances, because it was the best dinner experience my wife and I had the first couple of times we went years ago before kids. Great meals, great friendly servers, etc. It progressively got worse, to the last time we went ~4 years ago was the worst dining experience we had. They didn't check with us down at kidscot (we double checked before going), so we had a loooong wait past our reservation (just 4 of us), hostess was very rude, very crowded (more crowded over the years), rude careless waiter, messed up our orders, messed up our ticket, just terrible. I wrote Disney when we got back to the room, and cancelled a second reservation we had there for our last night that week. I did get called, and the manager person I exchanged messages with to seemed to be understanding and accommodating, we were offered a return reservation, but would be called back. We were called late late on the last night, so that didn't work out either. I don't think I'm doing justice just how bad it was. Off our list forever, and we go through this whole story whenever it comes up.

Edit - just read through the other posts, surprised by a few (we love ohana), but forgot about 1900 PF - ok the first couple of times we went, but the last couple of times were painful. Last time was 2 years ago, they weren't terribly busy, but made us wait 30-40 minutes past our reservation time and the host/hostesses were rude and seemed to be lost in what they were doing. Food was so so, desserts were minimal, over all experience was not worth it. Off our list too.

Last edited by mrcarder; 06-23-2013 at 11:49 PM.
mrcarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #67
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia Kellenberger View Post
For me - I have always loved the 50's Prime Time. Months before vacation I already knew that I was going to order the "sampler" dinner. This is some of the pot roast, some of the fried chicken, and some of the meat loaf. I already knew that I probably would not eat the entire thing. MOST of the dinner was good, except the meat loaf was truly disgusting. The fried chicken was fabulous. The next vacation that I ordered there, I told the CM that the fried chicken was as wonderful as the meat loaf was gross. So .... they just gave me the plate of the pot roast and two pieces of chicken instead of one.
This worked out well.

I usually vacation solo, and I find that the 50's décor, and the TV sets entertain me while I am eating. ( I grew up in the 50's )
We usually order 2 of the chicken or pot roast as we do not like the meatloaf either! I like the decor. I am a 1959 baby so this is a little before my time but I still luv it!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #68
capegirl
DIS Veteran

I suppose you could say that eating at Disney is consistently inconsistent. Disney food is very expensive, and I think we have high expectations based on cost and hype; we're disappointed when the food doesn't measure up to our standards. I have had many memorable dinning 'experiences' at Disney, but to be perfectly honest I have never had what I consider to be a truly spectacular meal. On the other hand, I have enjoyed some fabulous desserts, snacks and drinks. Our most dreadful meal was at Tony's; a shame considering it's charm factor, and location.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #69
dizzwizz
DIS Veteran

We most likely will not try Le Cellier again. Claustrophobic, dark setting. Sardine seating. Salt with optional pretzel bread. Chaotic waiting area. Our favorite aspects were the Beer Cheese Soup (yum!) and the helpful waitress.

We've been to the Kona Cafe many times and it's either really great or really bad, depending on your server.

Our first waitress acted like she didn't care about being there at all. She couldn't even crack a pretend smile for the life of her!

Our next waiter was the best. He had been there for years and his love for people and experience showed. He told us he was being transferred to Be Our Guest. Their gain, Kona's loss.

Finally, the third waitress we had was an older woman who was busy sweeping the floors at our feet and told us it was "time to go!" Really? You don't say. Needless to say, her attitude was indeed reflected in the tip we left for her!

So, Kona is not out as we love their food, but if we get anymore grouchy gulches, it might be time to look for something else!
dizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #70
brockash
DIS Veteran

Hollywood & Vine and San Angel Inn.

H&V: Food was just horrible, service was okay, but we literally left hungry. We'd go back for breakfast possibly, but never again for a lunch/dinner.

San Angel Inn: Worst service I've ever had in my life. Honestly, it's been almost a year and I am still angry when I think about it. This guy was the rudest server I've every encountered. I really liked the atmosphere, and was really the reason we went in the first place, but the server was completely rude our entire meal and then it literally took 40 mins. to get our bill once we asked for it. He'd come back and clear dishes, came back and filled waters...-obviously didn't ask for as we just wanted to get on with our day. I had to ask the guy 3 different times for the bill. I was so infuriated by the time we left. The food was so-so for us, but I'll never go back purely because of him.

Now, a couple places that I can't imagine not going to during a trip Plaza and Liberty Tree Tavern.

Plaza: Really like the food and location. It's a nice low-key break.

Liberty Tree Tavern: Tried it for the first time last year, and really enjoyed ourselves. Food was good and our server was just perfect. -Seriously we ate here after our crazy encounter at San Angel Inn last trip and I could have just kissed our server. He was great, very polite, very timely and honestly it was like he read our body movements at the table and knew when we were done with something, were getting low on a drink, were ready for the bill etc. If I could have hired him to be my personal server for the entire trip, I would have. I even emailed Disney about how great he was when we got back. I can't remember his name now (started with an E, I think) but I have it written down somewhere. We'll be looking for him next trip.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #71
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

There are not too many that we were not happy with but these came to mind immediately.

Tony's - Agree with pp - Chef Boy-R-De.

Coral Reef - atmosphere was good but the food was not. Service was not that great either

Whispering Canyons - Dinner - we really had enjoyed the breakfast but were really disappointed in the new dinner menu. Just Ok but not one we will rush to go back to

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #72
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Be Our Guest for dinner was a disappointment for our family. We love it for their lunch however.
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #73
catho72
DIS Veteran

Our least favorite restaurants:

Tony's.....I see we are not alone with this assessment.

Pizza Planet....I am not a fan of waiting an hour in line to order our food (never waited that long at any other QS and we are at WDW during peak times) and then be served cardboard-tasting pizza.

And the one I'm most shocked about making its debut appearance on this thread is ABC Commissary. We've eaten there twice...once because we didn't know any better and once because we were hot and tired and it is air conditioned and had no line. Yuck. Hamburgers are bad and even the prepackaged desserts were bad. The only tasty item...the prepackaged grapes.

I am not a fan of the Electric Umbrella but the rest of my family enjoys it.

Pinocchio Village Haus has lost points since they removed Figaro Fries from the menu years ago. Now we prefer to dine at Pecos Bill's or Columbia Harbor House.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #74
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

thankfully we all have likes and dislikes...PHEWWWW....if the case was "everyone" loves just loves one particular restaurant ...we would never ever get a reservation..
SOME of the dislikes on this post ..I found not bad...but some peoples LOVES just didnt hit it for me.
IT wasnt because of the food..but it just wasnt our type of food..

have a good day

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #75
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

I'm basing this only on our trip last summer since we did DDP and for the first time really got into Disney dining, my other trips are way too long ago. I found the majority of our meals to be mediocre, not disappointing at all and also not anything I would rave about. A couple were really great and a couple were just awful. I didn't have really high expectations going in, so I was not upset at all with the mediocre stuff.

The one that stands out in my mind as being the most disappointing was Flame Tree BBQ. The food was cold and stale tasting, like it had been sitting out for way too long and the ribs were tough. The service was horrendously slow and it wasn't even all that busy. I had 3 people in front of me in line and it took nearly 20 minutes to get my food. Just seemed like mass confusion behind the counter.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: