Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #91
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

When my DD was 10, we cruised alone on the Magic. I wanted to go Palo Brunch with a Dis group I meet on here. I took my DD to the pool for just the period of time that it took for me to meet up the group and eat brunch. When I returned to the pool, my DD was standing by the railing waiting on me. The pool had become too crowded and some of the bigger boys were pushing and shoving. She got scared and so she got out of the pool and went to sit down to wait on me. An adult woman started screaming at her saying that she was trying to steal one of their lounge chairs. By the time I got back to her she was scared to death. It was a terrible experience for my daughter. I felt so horrible that I had left her there alone. She will 16 when we cruise next, and it will be her first time roaming the ship alone. I will still worrry about her.
gssmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #92
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmks View Post
When my DD was 10, we cruised alone on the Magic. I wanted to go Palo Brunch with a Dis group I meet on here. I took my DD to the pool for just the period of time that it took for me to meet up the group and eat brunch. When I returned to the pool, my DD was standing by the railing waiting on me. The pool had become too crowded and some of the bigger boys were pushing and shoving. She got scared and so she got out of the pool and went to sit down to wait on me. An adult woman started screaming at her saying that she was trying to steal one of their lounge chairs. By the time I got back to her she was scared to death. It was a terrible experience for my daughter. I felt so horrible that I had left her there alone. She will 16 when we cruise next, and it will be her first time roaming the ship alone. I will still worrry about her.
Why didn't you just have her go to the club instead?
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #93
wwwosie
Mom by Day - Disney Freak by Night

Quote:
I sure hope you got a chance to tell that horrible woman that it wasn't "her" lounge chair! For goodness sakes! She was 10! Some adults! And it's natural to worry... enjoy your next trip!
wwwosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #94
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Why didn't you just have her go to the club instead?
Oh, that's the point. If I had it to do over I would. She wanted to swim while I was gone. I was reluctant to let her. I had never allowed her to be alone anywhere like that before. But, she begged and I finally thought "Oh well, it is Disney. I'm sure she will be fine". It didn't turn out fine. I am just thankful that nothing more serious happened. She was very scared and uncomfortable for while, but when I think about what could have happened. Just think, those boys who were pushing and shoving could have actually ended up in a more physical altercation and she would have been there alone. I just never thought about any of that when I agreed to let her go swimming while I ate.

But, a separate issue, she did not enjoy the clubs on any of our cruises. There were specific activities that she wanted to go to, but she did not want to be taken and left for long periods of time. If he had another friend her age that she already knew she may have liked it better.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #95
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, that's the point. If I had it to do over I would. She wanted to swim while I was gone. I was reluctant to let her. I had never allowed her to be alone anywhere like that before. But, she begged and I finally thought "Oh well, it is Disney. I'm sure she will be fine". It didn't turn out fine. I am just thankful that nothing more serious happened. She was very scared and uncomfortable for while, but when I think about what could have happened. Just think, those boys who were pushing and shoving could have actually ended up in a more physical altercation and she would have been there alone. I just never thought about any of that when I agreed to let her go swimming while I ate.

But, a separate issue, she did not enjoy the clubs on any of our cruises. There were specific activities that she wanted to go to, but she did not want to be taken and left for long periods of time. If he had another friend her age that she already knew she may have liked it better.
Ah that makes sense. Poor girl. What a disaster. Adults just should not treat kids that way! The pools are disappointing. I really wish they were bigger and had lifeguards like the resorts do.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #96
wwwosie
Mom by Day - Disney Freak by Night

Quote:

The problem was the kids and the pool and the rude woman, so don't beat yourself up, those things cannot be controlled.
wwwosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #97
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwosie View Post
I sure hope you got a chance to tell that horrible woman that it wasn't "her" lounge chair! For goodness sakes! She was 10! Some adults! And it's natural to worry... enjoy your next trip!
You have no idea how badly I want to tell her to shove her lounge chair. She was still there and my daughter showed me which one she was, but there were probably a hundred of little kids running around and I figured my satisfaction in telling her off wasn't worth scaring all of them. It would have just made me look like the big mean Mommy up at the pool. Then after that, it seemed like we ran in to her every where we went.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #98
gssmks
Believing in Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Ah that makes sense. Poor girl. What a disaster. Adults just should not treat kids that way! The pools are disappointing. I really wish they were bigger and had lifeguards like the resorts do.
The family pool definitely needs to be bigger. There have been times when there were so many people in it that no one could move around and I have just told my daughter no.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #99
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I don't think the ship is a secured environment at all. I think it gives the illusion because they can't drive away with your kids and Disney has the additional illusion of the bubble. What better place for a pedo to work? With most of the employees coming from other countries there is no way they are doing background checks. There are a lot of stories out there about things happening to kids on cruise ships. And it's not the pools (other than the one), its the employees grabbing the kids. Even one about a 16 year old being raped in her very own stateroom by the stateroom host.

I'm not saying these things can't happen anywhere and parents have to do what they think is best. But I have to cringe at all the posts saying a cruise is safer and it's the perfect place to allow kids to test their freedom. I'm sure the pedophiles think the same thing. No way would I allow a 9 or 10 year old to go off alone.
It's not that the ship is a secured environment, it's that it is probably lower risk than just about anywhere else.
There are not a "lot" of stories of things happening to kids on cruise ships - there are some, but it's very small considering the number of kids who go on cruises.

I'd bet, if someone did a statistical analysis, they'd find that a cruise ship is safer than most schools (and there ARE a lot of stories of things happening to kids at school). And most parents have no problems sending their kids off to school.

There is no such thing as perfect security. But for parents looking for a lower risk place to give their kids more opportunity to be independent, a Disney cruise is one of the better places.

Every parent has to find a balance that works for them.
Granting too much independence increases the risk that something bad might happen.
Granting too little independence increases the risk that the kid will grow up into a fearful adult who is incapable of functioning independently and unable to deal with even the smallest crisis or conflict.

What I find most "curious" are those parents who are so sure of their own perspective, that they consider parents who choose a different standard to be bad parents.....
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: