Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
SandiR
Mouseketeer

Which Disney restaurants were you unhappy with?

Just wondering if anyone was unhappy with a Disney restaurant and would suggest avoiding it. Our last trip to Disney was our first time there and we were very happy with most of the restaurants except for 50's Primetime Cafe. Yuck! The 50's atmosphere of linoleum, formica, and flowery wallpaper is probably really cute to some but my brain just screamed "remodel!" LOL. However, the main problem was the food which was unedible to me. We all left hungry because we couldn't stomach the food and went to get snacks.

Are there any others to avoid?
SandiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Le Cellier... They want WHAT for that????? Bad service, so so food, tables packed in like Mickey Ds... The only 'signature' thing about the place is the pricing. RUN
Nine Dragons. Does the chef have any other spice then salt? All I could taste was salt. No wonder it's a walk in

(And I have given both of these a couple of shots Not wasting anymore money or time!)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
lovedisney123
Mouseketeer

Well it has been a while, so things may have changed. But I love pizza and we went to Pizza Planet at the Studios, and none of us liked it.

But perhaps they have changed since then. We haven't gone back to see. Usually we are happy with Disney food, so that is the only time we were unhappy.
lovedisney123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
lhall7
Mouseketeer

There are only a few over the years that I really don't want to return to. Mainly because there are so many other good options. One is 50's Prime Time- just didn't care for the atmosphere either. Food was okay. The other one is Tony's at MK. I LOVE the atmosphere and location, but I thought the food was terrible! Now we pretty much have our favorites and stick to those. My DH still requests Tony's but I keep saying no.
lhall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Via Napoli. DH got a vegetable appetizer that he felt was just so so. We got the margherita pizza to share, and I could choke down two bites. The second bite was to make sure the first bite had been as BAD as I thought it was. DS is a pizza fanatic, and loves ALL kinds, and he ate just one slice (unheard of). DH didn't like it but ate maybe 2, just because he was hungry and it was late (he has to keep his blood sugars even, and food taste isn't as important to him as it is to me).

On top of that, the room is a big concrete box with sounds pinging off of surfaces and making it *impossible* for me to hear or physically relax in the space. I'm not sure anyone with a sound-sensitive, on the spectrum, person in their party should go there. And to top it all off, our server was uncaring. I had two bites gone from my pizza when she cleared my plate, and she didn't care at all when I said I didn't like it. Didn't even ask if I wanted to order something else. What kind of server doesn't ask such a question??? You would prefer to let someone leave your restaurant hungry?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Tony's and Hollywood and Vine - YUCK!!!!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Kae
DIS Veteran

Capt Jack's at DTD.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Wow - where to start? First let me say that there are lots of really good restaurants at WDW. But some of them really need to be just wiped away and re-made.
  • Tony's Town Square - chef BoyRDe
  • Big River Grille & Brew Works - really bad service and food. The beer isn't good enough to redeem this place.
  • Fultons - such a great location and surroundings, too bad its so lack-luster in the food.
  • Le Cellier - tables are way too close and the food isn't up to "signature" restaurant standards
  • Coral Reef - you would think this place could serve a decent piece of fish, but sadly it can.
  • Planet Hollywood - needs to be moved to a different planet and replaced with something that focuses on food, not memorabilia.
  • Rainforest - Again lets focus on food rather than distracting patrons with effects.
  • T-Rex - See Rainforest
  • Whispering Canyon Cafe - "Antics" aren't a replacement for actual service and even mediocre food.
  • Nine Dragons - you have better Chinese food in your home town for much, much less.

Lets see, is there anybody out there that I haven't offended with this list?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Capt Jack's at DTD.

Kae
Amen! The worst meal we have eaten anywhere, not just at Disney.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've dined at all but 5 restaurants in the parks and resorts, most at least twice and some have been dozens of times each.

Restaurants that I've been really unhappy with are:

Whispering Canyon Cafe
San Angel Inn
Kouzzina

There are many that I don't think are great but considering the theme park venue and masses of people served, I consider them average.

The above 3 places served me inedible food. I am not picky and have an adventurous palate but I don't like dried out meat or hot entrees served to me cold.

Last edited by Pakey; 06-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
rustyanchor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiR View Post
Just wondering if anyone was unhappy with a Disney restaurant and would suggest avoiding it. Our last trip to Disney was our first time there and we were very happy with most of the restaurants except for 50's Primetime Cafe. Yuck! The 50's atmosphere of linoleum, formica, and flowery wallpaper is probably really cute to some but my brain just screamed "remodel!" LOL. However, the main problem was the food which was unedible to me. We all left hungry because we couldn't stomach the food and went to get snacks.

Are there any others to avoid?
I'm a little confused on what you expected with '50s... the whole point is that you're supposed to feel like you're in a 1950s kitchen, so yes, it's going to have those kinds of decorations! I think it's actually pretty impressive that they're able to make it so convincing. I understand that it's not everyone's thing (it's certainly not a dining atmosphere that I'd want to be in every day or anything), but it's kind of like going to Sci-Fi and complaining that you have to sit in a car.

As for my "disappointments," I have been lucky enough to have been happy with most or all of the TS restaurants we have dined at in WDW; I think only QS places have been a letdown for me, but I don't guess that's really a surprise. We haven't eaten at THAT many TS restaurants though, and I usually avoid the ones that have really terrible reviews.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Fivemuggles
Mouseketeer

Pizza planet haha- atmosphere was fun, but when we went they used SO much sauce and barely any cheese- and it wasn't just mine, we had 8 pizzas between our group and they were all like that. Pretty gross. Maybe they were almost out of cheese and were scraping the bottom of the pan or something ha.

Kouzzina- our server spilled humus all over my husbands lap and laughed it off- didn't offer napkins or anything to clean it up!? I can't stand humus so his smell the whole night was the worst to me lol!

Akershus- our food was YUMMY but our server was awful- we had a party of 8 and he pretty much ignored us the entire night- we literally had to go search him out to get our check since he had not been back to our table since we ordered (someone else brought the food). In our minds this was because he knew the gratuity was already added- we saw him spending lots of time with other tables, so it wasn't like he was busy in the back or something. We did talk to the manager and they did apologize, and I saw him pull aside the server as we were leaving, so at least we knew he talked to him about it. But the food was very good and the princess interaction was great- and we are going back on our upcoming trip so it definitely wasn't bad enough to sour us on the whole place!
Fivemuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

We love 50's Prime Time Cafe so take this for what you want, but we have really been disappointed with LeCellier for the same reasons others have said. I felt like we were having dinner WITH the people beside us. The food is just ok. It's NOT worth two table credits at all.

We have also been very disappointed with San Angel Inn. We love mexican food but the food is there very bland at best and the service was slow and somewhat rude. We kept going back to give them another try but after three different trips we gave up. It's a shame because its a beautiful place to eat. I just can't see wasting money there.

Someplace that was a surprise to us was Kona Cafe!! It's very good!! I hate that I waited so long to give it a try because its one of our favorites now!!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

Tutto Italia. I realize that most people like it, but I've had two bad meals there now and won't ever eat there again. My sauce tasted like Chef Boyardee out of a can and my niece couldn't even eat her dinner-I had to buy her something back at our hotel's food court.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Jillinwonderland
Mouseketeer

Narcoossee's. Maybe we went on an off night but our server was the worst (so rude) and the food was the worst of the trip. I know it's blasphemy to say this but that's my two cents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: