Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 AM   #691
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
In regards to St. Peters, is the rule that women's knees have to be covered or that no shorts are allowed? If you wore a dress that came just above the knees would they let you in?
No bare knees or shoulders. The rule isn't about shorts v dresses; its just about being covered up.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #692
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I can't post a picture here, but here is the Greek Isles menu for anyone on the next Greece sailing.

http://medcruise2013.blogspot.com.es...sles-menu.html

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #693
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

For those of you who've already sailed/been to the Med, when you tap an ATM does it show your available balance like it does here in the US? Listed in Euros or US$?

Also what was your daily limit to tap an ATM? I know this would vary & I need to contact my bank but just curious.

Do you feel it was difficult to get enough cash because of the limits? We have prepaid everything except for tips for drivers of Rome in Limo, entrance to Accademia in Florence, entrance to Pompeii and the fee + tips to our Vatican & Pompeii guides from RiL. We won't need to be buying train tix, etc so hopefully not huge sums of cash needed but just curious.
I'd prefer to use a cc for most purchases. Were there a lot of places that accept cash only?
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #694
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
For those of you who've already sailed/been to the Med, when you tap an ATM does it show your available balance like it does here in the US? Listed in Euros or US$?

Also what was your daily limit to tap an ATM? I know this would vary & I need to contact my bank but just curious.

Do you feel it was difficult to get enough cash because of the limits? We have prepaid everything except for tips for drivers of Rome in Limo, entrance to Accademia in Florence, entrance to Pompeii and the fee + tips to our Vatican & Pompeii guides from RiL. We won't need to be buying train tix, etc so hopefully not huge sums of cash needed but just curious.
I'd prefer to use a cc for most purchases. Were there a lot of places that accept cash only?
When we withdrew money, it didn't give us a balance. It just showed us what we took out (in Euros).
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #695
Fifitrixabellee
Earning My Ears

We used debit card all the time in Europe no problem. Whenever I've used the machines it shows in my own currency £s for me so yes should show in dollars.
Fifitrixabellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #696
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Did you exchange money at all? I worried about the same thing and had Euros left over (even with a 4 day Paris stay post-cruise).

We needed cash the same stuff you needed cash for (tix, fees, tips). In Barcelona ALL of the restaurants I went to gladly took CC and even took tips on CC. I found I needed cash mostly for:

1. Restaurants in Italy
2. BATHROOMS
3. Vending machines for waters
4. Entrance tix
5. Tips
6. Any unpaid tours

I changed $200 US onboard but the rate was not great. I can't remember but I think I only got 140Euro. I didn't do another change after that.

BTW (and just random babbling here), I noticed that there were alot less purchases onboard than normal (people browsing, etc). That 20% VAT really was horrendous. My $76 D&B wristlet came out to be $94. Of course I get home log on to Disneystore.com and it's there for $76 plus I can get 10% w/Disney Visa.

Good luck!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #697
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

Did you exchange money at all? I worried about the same thing and had Euros left over (even with a 4 day Paris stay post-cruise).

We needed cash the same stuff you needed cash for (tix, fees, tips). In Barcelona ALL of the restaurants I went to gladly took CC and even took tips on CC. I found I needed cash mostly for:

1. Restaurants in Italy
2. BATHROOMS
4. Entrance tix
5. Tips
6. Any unpaid tours

I changed $200 US onboard but the rate was not great. I can't remember but I think I only got 140Euro. I didn't do another change after that.

BTW (and just random babbling here), I noticed that there were alot less purchases onboard than normal (people browsing, etc). That 20% VAT really was horrendous. My $76 D&B wristlet came out to be $94. Of course I get home log on to Disneystore.com and it's there for $76 plus I can get 10% w/Disney Visa.

Good luck!
Will the Greece sailings be charged VAT?
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #698
janiebubble
DIS Veteran

Greece is part of the European union, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be charged VAT
Disney Cruise Line: 2011 - Magic 7 Day Med 2014 Magic 4 day Med

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/]
janiebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #699
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebubble View Post
Greece is part of the European union, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be charged VAT
I thought I had read somewhere that if a ship sails to a non-EU port that it wouldn't be charged the VAT. The Greek cruise sails to Turkey which is not part of the EU (I think).
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #700
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
I thought I had read somewhere that if a ship sails to a non-EU port that it wouldn't be charged the VAT. The Greek cruise sails to Turkey which is not part of the EU (I think).
This is what I've been hearing so far as well, but we'll have to wait until this first Greece/Turkey cruise returns this week to confirm for sure. Fingers crossed for no VAT!

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #701
Melcatfish
In full planning mode!
Just one more victim of a drive-by tag attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
This is what I've been hearing so far as well, but we'll have to wait until this first Greece/Turkey cruise returns this week to confirm for sure. Fingers crossed for no VAT!
Oh no, Croatia is joining the EU on 1st July 2013 so that means our 12 nighter with Venice and Dubrovnik will get charged VAT Boo hiss!

Mel
x
Melcatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #702
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post

1. Restaurants in Italy
2. BATHROOMS
4. Entrance tix
5. Tips
6. Any unpaid tours

Good luck!
I haven't exchanged any money yet. I saw on AAA.com that you can buy Euros and have them FedEx'd to home but it's a crappy rate. Also I've read (& friends/coworkers say) so much about ATMs being so plentiful & offer the best rate to get cash that it's not worth getting any at home. We will have 3 calendar days in Barcelona so I could get tip envelopes all ready before boarding and tap while in port for mid-cruise spending.
It's kind of a balancing act to tap enough, but not so much that you worry about carrying lots of cash, and then not being stuck with a lot at the end of the trip.
Years ago, ds13 found a 10E bill under a table in Philly airport security. He's so happy to finally be able to spend it.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #703
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcatfish View Post
Oh no, Croatia is joining the EU on 1st July 2013 so that means our 12 nighter with Venice and Dubrovnik will get charged VAT Boo hiss!

Mel
x
Hopefully, the start date gets postponed. One can hope, right?
Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #704
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Turkey is an "associate" member. Now I have NO clue what that really means or how it effects the VAT so..

Theoretically you can get some of the VAT back if returning to the US. Step 1 is Disney has to give you the forms and from what I have heard that is a problem!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #705
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:

When we went to Europe a few years ago we went to our local bank and got Euros. I had heard that it was easy to find and use ATMs in Europe and so this time we didn't bother.

We just got back from the 6-1-13 Magic Med cruise and: I wish I had brought my check book (I empty my wallet of almost everything when I cruise) because I could have purchased $200 Euros from Guest Services if I had had a check. Their exchange rate was ok. At the end of the cruise you can exchange the Euros, up to the amount purchased back to them at the same rate (no coins). That would have been very convenient and cheaper.

At the ATM's on shore, I used our Bank of America card. In Barcelona, the Vatican and Funchal we got $200 Euro. One ATM would not accept our card because it didn't the have the chip. In all three cases, we were charged a $5.00 withdrawal fee, a $2.65 international withdrawal fee and a $5.00 balance inquire fee (I didn't ask for the balance but got a message "balance is not available" on all three receipts) - $277.80 to get $200 euro - $12.65 in fees the rest due to the poor exchange rate. How much of this is BofA and how much is the ATM I don't know.

When I used my Chase Disney Rewards Visa. The merchants weren't happy that the cards didn't have a chip because they had to print out receipts and have us sign for them and manually process them. I think that may have been an issue when negotiating the prices. Chase charged a 3% transaction fee.

What I learnt: bring euros from home, bring my check book for getting euros from guest services (save your receipt for returning any remaining euros) and get a credit card with no foreign transaction fees (Capital One is one and it has no annual fee).
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: