Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo22 View Post
.... I'm looking forward to cruising again when they are older and we can get the later seating so they can leave for the Oceaneers club if they want. ...
We have always taken DS to the club after he finishes his dinner, which was before our entrees arrived. We then returned to finish dinner. This was even before the late dining option was offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klineyqueen View Post
I cruised when my son was 12 months old then again when my son was 3 and my daughter was 11 months old. It isn't any less relaxing than any other day with a baby!!! It was wonderful and magical and we loved it.

People would say to me "you're cruising with a baby." My response.... "I feel they are too young to take care of themselves at home." That generally stopped them in their tracks.
LOVE this!!! You had a ball on that cruise also standing up and doing the hand jive during the CB.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

It depends on the personalities of the kids. You will have a magical time either way.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre126 View Post
We are thinking about taking a family cruise next winter and my sister is concerned about taking her 3 year old and 4 month old. Will it really be relaxing, is 4 months old too young to take on a cruise? She hasn't been on a cruise so she doesn't understand how great disney cruises are
Relaxing? Nope. Time to spend with your tiny people (tiny niece/nephew) without laptops, cellphones, laundry, dinner time calls from work, cable TV and Facebook getting in the way? YES. We enjoyed every minute of our week with your son because we so rarely get the chance to focus on him. We relaxed during afternoon nap.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

I'll let you know- we cruise in 3 weeks with my 17 month old and almost 3 year old! Seriously though, I am really looking forward to it- my kids a pretty go with the flow. The only thing I am worried about is sleep. Naps and night. We have DVC, so we have never stayed all in one room- even when we travel outside Disney, we like Homewood and Embassy Suites. So.... this should be interesting! I figure if we sleep decent, the rest will be gravy!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
deputymama
Mouseketeer

Like others have said before, it kind of depends of the dynamics of the family. But this is why I think she will find it relaxing...

She won't have to cook, she won't have to clean, no doing dishing or laundry and her kids will be entertained for an entire week!

Even if she doesn't utilize the infant room, a 4 month old will just sit and not go anywhere. The older one will likely need more attention than the infant but as long as you have that much family going, you can all take turns helping keep an eye on her so mom won't have to worry and get to relax.

The best vaca I ever took when my son was a toddler was on a Mexican cruise! It made me sad to have to come home and cook for myself again!

deputymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
wl1117
Mouseketeer

Our eldest daughter was 17 months on our first Disney Cruise (4 night). We did not use the nursery at all...big mistake, but we were first time parents and had never left her with ANYONE. We still had a nice time, but it wasn't as relaxing as it could have been.

Our second cruise (7 night), our eldest was a week past her 4th birthday and our youngest daughter was 5 months old. It was HEAVEN! The 4 year old adored going to the clubs...we could barely get her to leave. We also took advantage of the nursery and had an adult dinner and a brunch scheduled, as well as a few hours here and there for us to go to the adult pool. We also took it easy and made time for naps for both kids. Often the baby would just sleep during dinner. At 4 months, she'll need the stroller, so take a compact one and tell your server so you can have room for it at the table since the baby won't be able to sit up in a high chair at that age...or book nursery time every evening during dinner.

Our last trip our youngest was 10 months old, so she was crawling and sitting in a highchair at that point. We still ended up using the stroller during most dinners because she was still napping twice a day.

Next trip the kids will be 5 and 22 months.

6th DCL cruise -Magic - May 2, 2014
wl1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #22
aaklang
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre126 View Post
We are thinking about taking a family cruise next winter and my sister is concerned about taking her 3 year old and 4 month old. Will it really be relaxing, is 4 months old too young to take on a cruise? She hasn't been on a cruise so she doesn't understand how great disney cruises are
It isn't relaxing, but it IS fun. They only way it's going to really feel relaxing is if your kids spend A LOT of time in the kids club/nursery. If you have them with you most of the time, then overall it won't be relaxing. At moments, yes, but generally no.

When we cruised last fall, our daughter was a few weeks shy of her second birthday. She was restless during dinner but hated the nursery (loved it when we went with her because there is so much fun stuff, but hated being left there alone), so she spent most of the time at dinner sitting in my husband's lap. That was actually his biggest complaint last week when I was trying to convince him to book another cruise next summer. He said he never enjoyed dinner because he was always holding her. A four month old won't even be able to sit in a high chair, so someone would have to hold him/her all through dinner.

We still had a ton of fun though. The kids (my son was 5.5 at the time) loved the sports deck and the Nemo's Reef area. My son loved the pool and aquaduck too, but my daughter was too young, not potty trained, and too short for the aquaduck.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #23
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza'sMom View Post
Vacation wasn't really fun for me with small babies because my babies didn't sleep through the night. When we took a 6-month-old to Disney World, I worried constantly about her waking up the people in the rooms around us in the middle of the night.
Just did this! I took my 4 month old to WDW and he was out of his norm and woke up screaming a few nights. Thankfully it was just my parents were next door. I am excited to go on a cruise & I think it is prob the easiest vaca for infants aside from worrying if they will wake someone up. I'm wanting to hold off on our second cruise until our second child is *hopefully* sleeping through the night just to make the cruise more enjoyable and relaxing with a full night sleep
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

It was much more relaxing on our first cruise when my girls were 3 (almost 4) and 10 months old than it was on the 2nd cruise when they were 5 and 27 months old. The added mobility, attention span and potty training of the 2 year old just added to the fun (but totally took away the relaxing part of it).

With that said all 3 cruises have been wonderful for different reasons. I loved traveling when my DD was a baby. We got very spoiled.

I'm sure if you have a difficult child traveling at 4 months could be challenging and the problem is you won't really know until you are likely past the paid in full date for a cruise.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: