Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #1
clairedy6
Mouseketeer
 
clairedy6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 172

Where does the food come from on Med cruises?

I know the menus are all the same but where do they get their ingredients from? I'm guessing they don't ship food from the states so does anyone know what country their veggies, beef, poultry etc is imported from during the Med cruises? Thanks!
__________________


Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
disneylove69
DIS Veteran
 
disneylove69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wheatland, CA
Posts: 2,307

A farm, a tree, the ground Jk.....I think it would come from the original starting point. A lot of food in the US is shipped from other countries. I've been on cruises where the milk cartons came from local area of starting origin
__________________



disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's
 
bats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,195

They get supplies every day ... We are normally the sad ones watching it all get loaded and you can see what it is sometimes. Fresh fruit and veg are the most common I seem to remember.

They would have no need to import anything from the US as plenty of countries do grow and rear things too!!!!
__________________
Bats
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
clairedy6
Mouseketeer
 
clairedy6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
They get supplies every day ... We are normally the sad ones watching it all get loaded and you can see what it is sometimes. Fresh fruit and veg are the most common I seem to remember.

They would have no need to import anything from the US as plenty of countries do grow and rear things too!!!!
Did you see this happening on a Med cruise?
__________________


Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,960

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6 View Post
Did you see this happening on a Med cruise?
This was the turnaround day between our Med cruise and WBTA cruise, in Barcelona. Lots of food waiting to be put aboard:

__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
This was the turnaround day between our Med cruise and WBTA cruise, in Barcelona. Lots of food waiting to be put aboard:

Loved seeing the labradork drug sniffing dog in the pic.

When we cruised Australia/New Zealand awhile back, the menu included several entrees with lamb. I dare bet the meat was not imported from the states.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 3,974

So considering the potential different sources of food from one cruise originating in PC/USA, to the other sources, originating elsewhere, the question arises in my mind, has anyone that has done both itineraries within a close time frame, noticed a difference in the food?

It appears ships out of PC have a supplier. The ship out of Barcelona has another. I'm sure the ship out of Puerto Rico has another. Are all the dinners the same in the Med and Southern? I'll guess they are knowing DCL. lol

So has anyone noticed a difference one way or the other, regarding the meals, on this side of the pond, or the other?

Which are better? East, West, or Southern? lol.

It's an interesting angle I never gave any thought to prior to this thread.

TIA
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #8
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's
 
bats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 1,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
So considering the potential different sources of food from one cruise originating in PC/USA, to the other sources, originating elsewhere, the question arises in my mind, has anyone that has done both itineraries within a close time frame, noticed a difference in the food?

It appears ships out of PC have a supplier. The ship out of Barcelona has another. I'm sure the ship out of Puerto Rico has another. Are all the dinners the same in the Med and Southern? I'll guess they are knowing DCL. lol

So has anyone noticed a difference one way or the other, regarding the meals, on this side of the pond, or the other?

Which are better? East, West, or Southern? lol.

It's an interesting angle I never gave any thought to prior to this thread.

TIA
Do you mean does the food taste the same, or are the menus different? The menus can alter slightly depending on the itinerary .. Like they did a few different ones on the EBTA, but the food is the same quality wherever you're cruising in my experience.
__________________
Bats
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Faroe Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #9
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 3,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
Do you mean does the food taste the same ......
This is what I meant generally.

And if the meals are the same, is the presentation the same?

If it is that is amazing kitchen work.

I have only sailed out of the east coast.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
owensamo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 1,334

When you have a galley staff trained to turn out specific recipes at a high volume in a short amount of time, I imagine that any shift in menu is a Big Deal. My guess (and I've only been on an EBTA, where the first 7 nights were out of PC and had the standard menus so doesn't really count) is that if they do provide the standard DR rotational menus, they're pretty much exactly the same. Sourcing of the ingredients would be different, of course, but there's nothing in the menu that's unique to the US, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide the same meals and experience in Europe.

I think if you see a difference, it would be in the buffet - and maybe quick serve? But I can see the buffet having more of a local flavor - and probably no Krispy Kremes .

I'm pretty sure on our EBTA they reprovisioned in either Funchal or Cadiz. I don't recall noticing any changes to the quality, taste or availability of any particular items.
__________________
Aulani - June-July 2014; Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort - 2002, 2006
Disneyland - 1976, July 2012; Walt Disney World - 1984, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
Disney Wonder: 4N - 4/15/07, 6/1/08; 5N - 6/8/10, 6/13/10 (B2B); Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11; Disney Fantasy: 7N - 6/29/13, 7/6/13 (B2B)
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 3,974

Thanks, good detailed info.

Would love to hear from the WBTA or the Med sailors. I do admit I've never noticed a thread about this food deferential preiously, so I assume it is inconsequential. But you never know till you ask.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
debsters41
DIS Veteran
 
debsters41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensamo View Post
When you have a galley staff trained to turn out specific recipes at a high volume in a short amount of time, I imagine that any shift in menu is a Big Deal. My guess (and I've only been on an EBTA, where the first 7 nights were out of PC and had the standard menus so doesn't really count) is that if they do provide the standard DR rotational menus, they're pretty much exactly the same. Sourcing of the ingredients would be different, of course, but there's nothing in the menu that's unique to the US, so there's no reason they shouldn't be able to provide the same meals and experience in Europe.

I think if you see a difference, it would be in the buffet - and maybe quick serve? But I can see the buffet having more of a local flavor - and probably no Krispy Kremes .

I'm pretty sure on our EBTA they reprovisioned in either Funchal or Cadiz. I don't recall noticing any changes to the quality, taste or availability of any particular items.
This is what stood out to me the most... As an American living these past 20 years in Europe, I was kinda hoping for American specialty foods, like Krispy Kremes, Rice Krispie treats, anything peanut butter, anything (even resembling) maple syrup, marshmallows, corn dogs... etc. Can anyone who has done the Med cruises let us know if any of these kinds of things are available on board?
__________________
debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran
 
cruisecrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,728

I'd heard during one of the ship tours on the Magic last fall that for the med cruises they ship all the food frozen in from the US because they prefer to stick with their regular suppliers.
Or at least that's what they'd done previously.
__________________
Lorelei (Lori); DH, Ben/KetchAggie; DS7, Chris (gluten); DD5, Kylee(dairy)
My Trip Reports can be found on my blog:
Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere (My Blog on all things DCL, Food Allergy and Pixie Dust Related)
Upcoming Trips:


Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #14
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
This is what stood out to me the most... As an American living these past 20 years in Europe, I was kinda hoping for American specialty foods, like Krispy Kremes, Rice Krispie treats, anything peanut butter, anything (even resembling) maple syrup, marshmallows, corn dogs... etc. Can anyone who has done the Med cruises let us know if any of these kinds of things are available on board?
The menu on our two Med. cruises onboard the Magic did not change much at all than the standard menu of the Caribbean sailings. Granted they added the names of the local areas like "Rome pasta" but it was the standard fare. I was a little disappointed that they did not really change the foods more and cook more regional fare. We were on different cruise lines and they did more in the way of the menu to reflect the cuisine. All the dogs, burgers fries and condiments are available but sadly NO VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP.
carpenta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
but sadly NO VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP.
Have they every used maple syrup on the cruises? I though they supplied corn syrup but no maple syrup?
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: