Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
joemauerlover
Earning My Ears

Weight Watchers member

Hello everyone,

I'm going back to the Happiest place on Earth in December (YAH!) and I've just started with weight watchers in January and have lost 42 pounds so far! I'm worried about wrecking all my progress when I go. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'm thinking I will just get my meals with fruit as a side, instead of fries, but I'm wondering specifically about the Dole Whips. I'm a Dole Whip virgin; I know crazy right, considering I've been to Disney many time, but I really want one, but I am one of those people that need to know the nutrition facts before I eat something, is their any nutrition facts for popular disney food/treats? Any tips or tricks to being on a Diet at Disney World, would be appreciated! Thanks!
joemauerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
AquamarineSteph
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's fantastic!

My other half does Weight Watchers and is a lifetime member. When we travel, he finds it almost impossible to plan ahead for the day's food the same way that we do when we're at home. His plan is to stick to small, regular meals/snacks so that he's not hungry during the day and tempted to overeat. The parks do offer a lot more healthy eating options than they once did, although you are paying park prices as opposed to shopping at home. Still, if you're wanting to stay on track, it's probably worth the extra expense.

He does keep a running record of everything he eats. He also guesstimates a lot of the nutritional info for the items. He tends to figure on the high side of what an item weighs, how large it is, how much fat it contains, so that he can guess how much he has left for the day. Portion control usually isn't a problem at the parks, since things are sold in single servings.

And - last, but not least - it sounds like you're doing fabulously well on Weight Watchers already. By the time you reach the park in December, chances are good that you will have already incorporated so many of the WW principles into your lifestyle and made so many good changes in your eating habits that you might find dining at the parks easier than you think. Think positively about how much you've already accomplished, and look forward to all that walking you'll be doing at the parks!

And PS - The Dole Whip is really good. I have no clue about the nutritional breakdown for it, though.
AquamarineSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Congratulations on your weight loss. I started Jenny Craig the last week of January and I am down 65lbs. 35 to go! I went to WDW in May. All I can say is WDW menus do offer better choices then many places if you look for them or know how to cut the calories yourself. Having dealt with being over weight most of my life I have, since January learned what I call my "triggers" for eating what, when ,how ..I eat. So it's been a journey. For me once I learned these things it has made it a bit easier.

Back to WDW. We went ion May. We love the characters so we ate at many character buffets like Crystal Palace (Breakfast), Cape May Café (Breakfast),Donald's Safari Breakfast, Sci Fi (Dinner), Pop Century Food Court (Dinner), Rain Forest Café..so we ate at some pretty good places. It's all about choices. We only ate 2 meals a day. Breakfast and dinner....except one day we did 3. So for one meal, the one at RFC I did an appetizer for lunch. At the Buffets I looked at everything first, I still had omelets or scrambeled eggs, bagels with cream cheese, sausage patties, breakfast potatoes, fruit, yogurt etc that type of stuff. I just first took what I liked BUT smaller servings. One thing Jenny Craig has taught me is what a portion looks like. Many times I was full after one trip to the buffet, or if it was a sit down meal I ate til I was full. I listened to my body not my head. I had to make this a very conscious effort but I did it. I also did little things like if I had a burger and fries I went without cheese and tossed the bun, or if I had a turkey sandwhich I ate apple slices instead of French fries, I also got children's meals at a couple of Quick service places without any problems. At buffets I could control portion size as well. I DID have a dole whip (yum!), I did have an ice cream cone in Magic Kingdom, I did get dessert and the we even got the Grey Stuff at Be Our Guest. I skipped Alcohol during this trip. You do a lot of walking at WDW, which I am sure helps...however it's not the fast get your heart rate up for 10-20 minutes workout type. I will be 100% honest. I gained 2lbs on my 7 day vacation. I and my Jenny Craig rep felt that was amazing. It was the first time in the little over 3 months I had been on the planned and gained anything. I got right back on it when I returned. I then lost 4lbs the next week. So I lost the 2 I gained and 2 more to boot.Just make some better choice, watch portions BUT stiull have some favorites I thin you'll do an amazing job as you have so far. Just remember you are on vacation enjoy yourself..don't go crazy and when you come back just pick up where you were. I am going back in Sept. So far I will be about 10lbs lighter..I have about 2 months to go and I am hoping for 20lbs more down. As a side note my Jenny Craig rep told me she gained 10lbs on vacation, and another client of hers a husband and wife went on the DP and he gained 8lbs and she gained 6lbs. BUT once they returned and got back on the plan they lost it within 2 weeks. Have a magical time!
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I have lost 60 pounds on Dukan. My plan of attack is limiting the carbs (no fries and no bread), dressing on the side and sharing desserts if and when we have them.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Kay1
Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!
The only tricky part is judging when the actual boiling begins

If you can't find exact nutritional values of foods you want, why not practice portion control. If you could share that Dole Whip with one or two others, great, if not eat a bit then toss it. It's every bit as wasteful to eat something you don't want as it is to put in the garbage, and in the garbage, it can't hurt you or your progress.

Best of luck to you and have a wonderful time.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

Congrats!

I completely understand!!! As much as we LOVE all the food, I don't want to gain all my weight back in one trip. Here are some tips:

* Order children's meals (I especially do that at lunch)
* Drink water
* More fruit (it's a great snack option)
* Eat your normal breakfast even if you have to bring it with you
* Slurge on you favorites (Dole Whip, for example)
* Try your best!

I always hit every Jazzercise class I can before we leave and plan on doing the same when we return.

You'll do great!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
webstah
DIS Veteran

You should also be able to buy a points calculator from Weight Watcher which can help you keep track of your points. This combined with a small copy of the Doctors pocket fat and carbohydrate counter book can help a lot. The book has tons of restaurant food so you can estimate more easily. Things like Pizza Hut pizza per slice etc...
Sept 2010 POR Sept 2011 POR Sept 2012 POR
Sept 2013 POR Nov 2013 POR Aug/Sept 2014 POR

webstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Congrats OP! Like the others have said, I'd limit carbs and eat small portions. Stay away from the soda, even diet, and drink your water. Try to stick to leaner proteins and keep sauces/dressings on the side. You'll use less if you fork the food then dip vs pouring it all over. Alcohol is another high point treat so maybe stick with less caloric cocktails; no mudslides, piña coladas, and the like. Maybe try a wine spritzer a instead. You can break the no diet soda rule when it comes to cocktails though.

You're doing great. Don't worry.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
kabbie
DIS Veteran

I'm on Weight Watchers as well (with almost the same stats as you - joined Jan 5th and have lost 44 lbs) and heading to Disney in Sept. I'm planning on using the 49 weekly points and earning activity points by walking around the parks all day for special meals.

Read about a WDW Vet solo trip to Disneyland
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1355408
1991 Offsite 1992-1997 Lived in Tampa; Visited as a Day Visitor several times a year 2000 Offsite-Hampton Inn on Palm Parkway 2002 Offsite Jan 2004 Marriott Village (I work for Marriott) Dec 2005 All Star Vacation Home Sept 28-Oct 3, 2006 POR (First time on property!) Feb 6-10, 2007 1st time at Disneyland (Anaheim Fairfield) Sept 26-Oct 5, 2007 WL/BWV Dec 12-14, 2007 Marriott Village (free room)Dec3-10, 2008 Marriott Grande Vista May 16-21, 2009 BWV Dec 12-17, 2009 POFQ/BCV/VWLOct 20 - 24, 2010 Marriott's Sabal Palms Aug 3-8, 2011 Disneyland - Anaheim Marriott Suites
kabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemauerlover View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm going back to the Happiest place on Earth in December (YAH!) and I've just started with weight watchers in January and have lost 42 pounds so far! I'm worried about wrecking all my progress when I go.
Congrats on your weight loss. I've packed on quite a bit of weight from stress and a couple of medical conditions in the past couple of years, but prior to that I lost 60 pounds and maintained that weight loss for 5+ years.

I'm going to go against the grain- you're on vacation. It's not the time to be counting calories (or points). You're not going to undo 40-80 pounds of weight loss over the course of a week.

Don't go hog wild, but have that cocktail, or that extra dessert, or that incredibly greasy looking burger and fries, and don't beat yourself up over it.

On average, I walk 8-13 miles a day in the park (and have gone as high as 17 miles). Even at a snail's pace, that's burning 1200-1500 + calories depending on your weight.

I saw that you mentioned doing Disney "on a diet". I'm sorry that you still feel you're on a diet, and it makes me think that you're not at the point that it's a lifestyle change. You can't be on a diet forever- but you can begin to live a healthy lifestyle. I hope you reach that new level of wellness soon!

ETA: a 1/2 cup of dole whip is 80 calories

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Yay you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquamarineSteph View Post
By the time you reach the park in December, chances are good that you will have already incorporated so many of the WW principles into your lifestyle and made so many good changes in your eating habits that you might find dining at the parks easier than you think.
Absolutely. You'll be almost at the year mark, and these lifelong changes will be solidifying more and more. If you're like me, you'll probably find that you don't WANT all the same things you used to want, and you will definitely not want the quantities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
f you could share that Dole Whip with one or two others, great, if not eat a bit then toss it. It's every bit as wasteful to eat something you don't want as it is to put in the garbage, and in the garbage, it can't hurt you or your progress.
So true! As my WW leader put it, food becomes waste one way or the other, and if you don't really want to eat it, it's no more wasteful to throw it away than to eat it and have it become waste in a day or so.

I lost 4 lbs on our vacation in February. WDW, cruise, Universal, WDW. I ate exactly what I *wanted*. But what I found is that I wanted very different things than I used to want, and I wanted far less than I used to want. The ONLY place I stuffed myself was at Tusker House, and that's because their food is so fabulous to me.

On the cruise I worked out something different to have at dinners with the server, so I had a chef making me Indian curries for 2 of the 3 dinners. We were staying concierge and I had treats there so I only had dessert one night (grand marnier souffle) but I didn't WANT dessert those nights. (was trying to say no to dessert that night, too, but our assistant server absolutely insisted on the souffle, LOL)

I calculate APs with a heart rate monitor (80 cals burned = 1 AP for me), and I've worn my monitor at Disneyland before. I will burn well over 1000 kcal in less than half a day. It's intriguing to watch the calories-burned tick over during the day. When standing in line they go by so slowly. When walking it goes faster. When on something like Space Mountain, it's more than standing in line but less than when walking. It's just really interesting.

Now that Starbucks is there I'll count points for those treats, because the info is easily found. Dole Whip's info is found online, too, and it's really low in points. Now, for me, it's also disgusting...tastes like what I imagine melted, pineapple-flavored plastic would taste. Not something I'll ever be trying again. If you're lucky, you'll be like me.

But after trying to count points at DLR and finding it immensely frustrating, I don't try it with WDW stuff. On our last trip I gave myself permission to gain up to 10 lbs, and I ate what I wanted. But like I said, what I wanted was SO different, and we walked SO much, that I lost 4.

But about those big gains, you KNOW that that's not actual fat being gained. Sometimes a rise on the scale just means water and extra undigested food in the belly. And that's why it's lost so fast once you're home. So just keep that in mind and don't let the WI hurt your feelings.

Also, make a plan for once you're home. Have a points-friendly dinner planned for when you get home, whether it's going out somewhere where you know the points and will be OK, or if it's having Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines in the freezer, have a plan. That way you don't get sucked into the trap of going out night after night after you get home. If you have a grocery store that will deliver, maybe set up a delivery for the next day after you get home so you don't even have to go to the store.

Best of luck!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your weight loss success! I lost 110lbs on WW and am now a lifetime member and employee of WW. I've been to Disney many times while on WW and all I can say is don't sweat it...

Here are some tips based on myself and my experience.

For me...when I go to WDW it's a vacation and I allow myself to go off program and possibly gain some weight WITHOUT feeling guilty or upset because I know when I come home I will go right back on program and any gains will soon be losses...In fact, I usually do a no-weigh-in my first meeting back from vacation to give myself an extra week to get on track - I NEED the meeting, not the weigh in and then when I step on the scale the following week I am back in goal range or just up very little (like a pound or so) and that is much easier to face

You can go to allearsnet and check out the menus of the various TS and CS restaurants at Disney so you can have an idea of what is available and some of the better choices.

If you go to a buffet start off with "0" foods such as veggies (salad) and fruits, then go back for some for the 1-2 point foods (lean proteins, legumes, etc) then your next visit can be for tastes of those higher point dishes that are calling your name. By this time you're already pretty full from the better-choice foods and only have enough space and appetite for a few bites of those delectable delights...

Don't track points but do write down what you eat...by just writing what you eat makes you aware of what you're eating and makes you think twice if you "really" want to eat a particular food.

Drink water and seltzer instead of soda...(all you have to do is ask for seltzer - most places have it)

If you need a cool treat in the hot afternoon try ices instead of ice cream or even better, there are some stands that have fruit and yogurt.

Bring some of your own WW-friendly snacks. I always have a few boxes of the little chewy candies and some packs of gum (they don't have gum at Disney) because sometimes I'm not hungry but just need a bit of flavor in my mouth. I also pack some other snacks for myself - heck I make sure I have some of my son's favorite snacks handy, why not for me?

Don't be afraid as Disney does have a decent amount of "better" choice foods. Also you will find by being on WW you will naturally make better choices without even thinking of it. And you won't be able to eat as much as you used to because you get full faster plus all those "yummy" treats, you will find, look much better than they feel. I find when I eat something totally decadent it sits for a long time on my stomach and makes me feel uncomfortable and after eating it I don't want to eat anything else for a long time. Remember WW is a lifestyle which, from your success, you are already living.

Look, it's a vacation and you're supposed to enjoy yourself...I know you feel like you will gain ALL your weight back if you go off plan for a week, but it won't happen. More important than what you do on vacation is what you do when you get back. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT FROM YOUR VACATION BEFORE GOING BACK TO YOUR WW MEETING - GO TO THE VERY NEXT ONE AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK. One of the main things I learned is that I'm not suppose to lose weight every day and there will be times when I may even gain a bit, but that's OK - I have an anchor keeping me grounded and that's WW. It's always there for me no matter what and as long as I keep being an active member I will be OK.

Have a great vacation and continued success on your amazing WW journey.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55 View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss success! I lost 110lbs on WW and am now a lifetime member and employee of WW. I've been to Disney many times while on WW and all I can say is don't sweat it...

Here are some tips based on myself and my experience.

For me...when I go to WDW it's a vacation and I allow myself to go off program and possibly gain some weight WITHOUT feeling guilty or upset because I know when I come home I will go right back on program and any gains will soon be losses...In fact, I usually do a no-weigh-in my first meeting back from vacation to give myself an extra week to get on track - I NEED the meeting, not the weigh in and then when I step on the scale the following week I am back in goal range or just up very little (like a pound or so) and that is much easier to face

You can go to allearsnet and check out the menus of the various TS and CS restaurants at Disney so you can have an idea of what is available and some of the better choices.

If you go to a buffet start off with "0" foods such as veggies (salad) and fruits, then go back for some for the 1-2 point foods (lean proteins, legumes, etc) then your next visit can be for tastes of those higher point dishes that are calling your name. By this time you're already pretty full from the better-choice foods and only have enough space and appetite for a few bites of those delectable delights...

Don't track points but do write down what you eat...by just writing what you eat makes you aware of what you're eating and makes you think twice if you "really" want to eat a particular food.

Drink water and seltzer instead of soda...(all you have to do is ask for seltzer - most places have it)

If you need a cool treat in the hot afternoon try ices instead of ice cream or even better, there are some stands that have fruit and yogurt.

Bring some of your own WW-friendly snacks. I always have a few boxes of the little chewy candies and some packs of gum (they don't have gum at Disney) because sometimes I'm not hungry but just need a bit of flavor in my mouth. I also pack some other snacks for myself - heck I make sure I have some of my son's favorite snacks handy, why not for me?

Don't be afraid as Disney does have a decent amount of "better" choice foods. Also you will find by being on WW you will naturally make better choices without even thinking of it. And you won't be able to eat as much as you used to because you get full faster plus all those "yummy" treats, you will find, look much better than they feel. I find when I eat something totally decadent it sits for a long time on my stomach and makes me feel uncomfortable and after eating it I don't want to eat anything else for a long time. Remember WW is a lifestyle which, from your success, you are already living.

Look, it's a vacation and you're supposed to enjoy yourself...I know you feel like you will gain ALL your weight back if you go off plan for a week, but it won't happen. More important than what you do on vacation is what you do when you get back. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT FROM YOUR VACATION BEFORE GOING BACK TO YOUR WW MEETING - GO TO THE VERY NEXT ONE AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK. One of the main things I learned is that I'm not suppose to lose weight every day and there will be times when I may even gain a bit, but that's OK - I have an anchor keeping me grounded and that's WW. It's always there for me no matter what and as long as I keep being an active member I will be OK.

Have a great vacation and continued success on your amazing WW journey.

First off, congrats to the OP for the excellent results so far on WW. I'm sure you have become an inspiration to those around you.

@WendyBird: Congrats to you as well; I love to hear success story's from those who have been and are successful on WW. I joined WW just over two years ago, reached my goal 13 months ago losing 120 pounds, am now a lifetime member, and also an employee (4 hours a week). WW has changed my life as I'm sure it has yours as well!!

Ditto, Ditto, and Dittoto your advice. I saw the op's post and wanted to respond earlier, but it was hectic today. So much of what you said is what I wanted to say as well. I agree with all that you said. Something else the op may want to remember is I am sure she is going to be earning a whole lot of activity points with all her walking around in the "world." That will give her more points to enjoy. I wear an ActiveLink and I am surprised at just how many points I earn from just walking around. Also, she has those weekly allowance points as well. I say use some common sense, indulge a bit, don't feel guilty, and you will come out of this in great shape.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to you too goofy4prez! What a wonderful achievement!. I work part-time as well for WW - about 3-5 meetings a week. I truly enjoy interacting with all the members - they always keep me motivated. Yea, the Activelink is a "neat" device. You sure are right on earning activity points at Disney. I also take the stairs instead of elevators when on vacations - a bit more activity never hurts..and I don't know about you, but AK is the ne park I REALLY walk a lot in - for whatever reason I always feel like I'm walking in circles in AK...I never can seem to find the most direct route from point A to B.

One of my fellow WW employees just got a job in WDW - working in Fantasyland. She's the sweetest person and this has been a dream of hers..her ultimate job is to be a character...she is a dead-ringer for Snow White! She left this week and I hope to meet up with her when we go down in Aug.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
joemauerlover
Earning My Ears

Thanks you guys for all these tips!! I'm now down 68 pounds and am still worried, but feel that this has become a lifestyle!! I think I'm worried because when we get home it will be Christmas. I am giving myself Christmas eve day to have a "cheat day" which will be my first one since joining weight watchers in January, so I feel like I deserve it. I think I'm most worried about the holidays!! But getting so excited for our trip. We leave on Friday the 13th of December and its basically a long weekend, so at least I won't be off plan for too long. We get back home on monday the 16th. I did by a Weight watchers pedometer, and I am excited to see how much walking we do. I've never tracked that before and we go all day and night. Thanks again for all your tips and encouragement!!! I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get back!!
joemauerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: