Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Jacket for Alaska in Extended Sizes

We aren't sailing until next May, but I am already searching for a suitable rain jacket for the cruise, and I will definitely be needing a pooh-sized jacket to allow for a couple of layers underneath, probably at least a long-sleeve and a fleece. I am wondering what those that have sailed already might have found that you might recommend.

I did find one at the Columbia outlet today, but it doesn't have any vents or zippers under the arms for when it warms up.

Hope somebody has some suggestions.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

LL Bean or Lands end.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I used my trusty leather jacket DH found on sale years and years ago. (I don't get much wear out of a jacket here in the desert, but it's nice to have the warmth when I need it.)

The important thing is to have a jacket that is both waterproof and windproof. Other than that, the layers underneath will handle the rest of the job.

Leather shoes do a better job of keeping the rain out than canvas shoes. I saw a lot of winter boots on our Alaskan cruise earlier this month, but I couldn't help thinking of how heavy and bulky they must've been in limited-airline-luggage space, and they really weren't necessary. A wooly hat and gloves don't take up much room in your luggage, and act as insurance -- as long as you have the hat and gloves you probably won't need them.

Skagway was so cold three weeks ago I could've used long underwear, and did see some people wearing it layered under their short-sleeved shirts. The only people I saw wearing shorts were those who had been using the ship's exercise equipment. This past week, I'll bet cruisers were wishing they had packed lotsa shorts and left their winter woolies at home.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
LL Bean or Lands end.

Nancy
Thanks, but I am looking for specific jacket recommendations, not just sites that carry jackets.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
lady9
DIS Veteran

I am also pooh sized. I bought just a nylon shell at Walmart that I threw over a fleece and a long sleeve tee. I took off the fleece as it warmed up. We went in Aug. and had a mix of weather. Alaska was my most favorite vacation.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady9 View Post
I am also pooh sized. I bought just a nylon shell at Walmart that I threw over a fleece and a long sleeve tee. I took off the fleece as it warmed up. We went in Aug. and had a mix of weather. Alaska was my most favorite vacation.
Were you warm enough with your shell on days like the Tracy Arm? I have read that a heavy jacket is not necessary, but I am just not sure how much lighter to go.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If they still make "3 in 1" type coats, that's what we used for Alaska. Shell and a zip in puffy liner. The only time I was actually cold was when we approached the glacier (we were on RCCL and it was not Tracey Arm, so I don't know specifics about that) and mistakenly went out to the bow (not possible on the Disney ships I believe) to watch us get closer to the glacier. It took WAY longer than DH and I expected, and we were very very cold.

Of course, if we'd had gloves, hats, and/or scarves it would have been helpful.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
lady9
DIS Veteran

On Tracy Arm day I wore long sleeve tee, fleece jacket, and nylon shell. The CMs bring around hot chocolate and there are blankets available. We found a table on deck 9 where there is plexiglass to shield the wind a bit. I was fine in what I wore when I went up to deck 10. It was 55 degrees that day and windy.
lady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I'm going to Alaska in September on Holland America and bought a Columbia rain jacket. I suppose I didn't think about the vent situation...
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
lroger01
DIS Veteran

I just bought a packable rain jacket from campmor.com. The jacket (a nylon shell) was about $35, has long pit zips, fleece chin pad to protect from zipper when using hood, and it packs in a pouch. Matching pants are also available.

They have larger sizes but you may need to wait for them to restock. The fit is generous especially in the chest area.

I haven't tried it out yet as my trip isn't until late July, but so far i'm very pleased with it.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
RweTHEREyet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I'm going to Alaska in September on Holland America and bought a Columbia rain jacket. I suppose I didn't think about the vent situation...
Well, it may not matter to most, but I tend to get cold and then warm very quickly when I have on layers. I also would find it easier to unzip a zipper under the arms than to take off the jacket and carry it around, but you may be just fine with what you bought.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

I have this jacket (disclaimer: mine in non-plus size, so you'll have to see how it fits) and a few fleece from Lands End as well, it was what I planned to bring to Alaska before our plans changed. My partner who has cruised an inside passage itinerary before assured me that along with some gloves I'd be ok with this setup. We live in Florida so an all-in-one jacket didn't make sense. I've used the rain jacket often on its own.

Good luck deciding!
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

We got great waterproof (you need waterproof for Alaska, not just water resistant) lightweight jackets from North Face. They were great. The had a vent and we wore long sleeve tees and fleeces underneath. Layering is the key! Enjoy your cruise!

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Of course, if we'd had gloves, hats, and/or scarves it would have been helpful.
Yes! Definitely being hats and gloves. You will need them for Tracy Arm. If you have a verandah, use your blankets too. We also needed them for Juneau when we took a helicopter ride to a glacier....it was about 30 degrees up there in August.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

I used my Columbia jacket with fleece insert two years ago when we went to Alaska. It sure saved me from freezing on deck for Tracy Arm viewing. We spent about 5 hours on deck and it was cold. I didn't need it any other time on the cruise as it was in the 70's and low 80's (mid July).
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: