Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
jenhelgren
Mouseketeer

Port of Galveston?

I was reading some reviews on the Port of Galveston last night and they were ugly!! I did not read any from DCL cruisers they were all Carnival or RCCL. Almost all reviewers said customs, lines, etc were terrible compared to other ports. We have sailed from Port Canaveral, New Orleans, and Miami in the past. Will Galveston be horrible?? I am crossing my fingers that Disney brings some "magic" to the port and it's not as bad as I read!!
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

We only sailed out of there once but we didn't have any problems at the port. Lines were a breeze and I don't think we waited for anything more than a minute or two. The port itself is pretty ugly with brown water and a lot of industrial looking stuff but I don't suppose there's much Disney can do about that.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We've cruised twice from Galveston. No issues with long lines at all for us. Took only a few minutes to get thru security. No wait to do check-in.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
FrogMBA
Mouseketeer

I cruised from there in March for Easter on the Magic. The port itself is pretty industrial but Disney has spruced up the terminal that they use to the best of their ability with everything needing to be portable.
Security was efficient and wait times were minimal, the longest wait I had was 10 min and that was in the upgrade line.

I am sailing out of there again in October.
FrogMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
m&m's mom
Waiting for the waterless cruise
I really am quite evil

I have cruised from or arrived to; PC, Port of LA, Galveston on DCL, and on other lines from: Vancouver, and Puerto Rico..... I personally think there is just not that much of a difference between them.
The port of Galveston is in a more industrial area and not a ton of DCL touches but I thought it was fine. I did not notice a problem w/ Customs; pretty much the same line as PC.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
mickeys girl 52
DIS Veteran

I also sailed twice out of aGalveston. No problems at all .
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

One DCL trip out of Galveston- longest and most disorganized arrival out of our 3 DCL cruises.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Sailed out of Galveston and had no problems
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
amejiajr8
Mouseketeer

Sailed out of Galveston twice Royal & Carnival and didnt have issues.
amejiajr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Sailed twice out of Galveston, and getting ready for our third this fall. Being from Houston know a lot of folks that sail from there, and the lines have not been an issue at all. Very organized and efficient.

What is lacking is the facility. Port Canaveral is a beautiful facility with a lot of light. This Galveston terminal is more utilitarian. It suits your needs, but you don't want to spend 3 hours sitting and waiting for boarding.

Don't worry -- the lines will be fine and you will be so excited about what's to come you won't think twice about the process.

Enjoy!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhelgren View Post
I was reading some reviews on the Port of Galveston last night and they were ugly!! I did not read any from DCL cruisers they were all Carnival or RCCL. Almost all reviewers said customs, lines, etc were terrible compared to other ports. We have sailed from Port Canaveral, New Orleans, and Miami in the past. Will Galveston be horrible?? I am crossing my fingers that Disney brings some "magic" to the port and it's not as bad as I read!!
We have cruised twice out of Galveston once on Carnival and the other on Disney both times were hassle free

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
dacjam
Earning My Ears

We typically sail out of Galveston for spring break. When there are two fully loaded ships in port on Sunday, the lines getting off the ship can be a couple hours long. It's also the only port where I've had the customs agent ask each person in every party an individual question from our passports. I understand the negative comments about the port, but I think you'll be fine. Disney has the best disembarkation procedure of any of the lines I've ever sailed. I assume they'll have the same procedure for Galveston. Enjoy your trip.
dacjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Wink Only One Experience

Hi there,

I found that after a 5000 mile journey to get there, was not so much the port more the island itself. Frankly it would be easier to find the island in "Lost" a total bummer if you come into Houston Bush airport and not Hobby airport. I found the people of the island helpful apart from those at Enterprise car rental. The port building itself was just a 2nd string cruise port, lines for embarking was fine no great hassles whatsoever.

That said if you want that port to grow, it has to have greater transport links with Houston Bush, how can the ONLY car rental location be closed at half day on a Saturday and all day on the Sunday, they say they aren't allowed to drop people off at the cruise terminal???

If you expect a person to pay $210 for a taxi journey plus tip from Houston to the island then you really need to thing are we doing things right on that island. I would say the people I met during my stay on GALVESTON for a couple of days stay prior to the cruise were nice and helpful.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #14
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Hi there,

I found that after a 5000 mile journey to get there, was not so much the port more the island itself. Frankly it would be easier to find the island in "Lost" a total bummer if you come into Houston Bush airport and not Hobby airport. I found the people of the island helpful apart from those at Enterprise car rental. The port building itself was just a 2nd string cruise port, lines for embarking was fine no great hassles whatsoever.

That said if you want that port to grow, it has to have greater transport links with Houston Bush, how can the ONLY car rental location be closed at half day on a Saturday and all day on the Sunday, they say they aren't allowed to drop people off at the cruise terminal???

If you expect a person to pay $210 for a taxi journey plus tip from Houston to the island then you really need to thing are we doing things right on that island. I would say the people I met during my stay on GALVESTON for a couple of days stay prior to the cruise were nice and helpful.
We flew into Hobby, and it was still difficult to get to where we wanted to go! We'd arranged transportation and luckily were adopted by a desk clerk and driver who weren't who we'd reserved. They were an affiliated partner, and were most helpful- but it kind of left a bad taste in our mouth.
And for that we paid roughly $100 plus tip.
I will say that they were both amazing, and the driver definitely went above and beyond!
If we cruise out of Galveston again, we'll know what to expect.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
jenhelgren
Mouseketeer

We will be driving down in a rental and park either at the port or somewhere close after I look into pricing/etc. Are the negative transportation comments just based on air travel and getting a rental on the weekend? Will we have any problems with our GPS getting to the island?
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: