Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Sometimes we can't travel during our actual birthday or celebration time.

My birthday is the very end of June - summer leave is difficult to come by as it's granted on senority. A number of people on my team are close to retirement (and I am very far away from it) so I'm low on the senority list. I can rarely get my birthday off or the weeks after it. Next year I'm going to WDW in September (and easy time to get off) and plan to celebrate my 40th. I won't feel bad about celebrating a couple months later.

For my dad, his birthday is at the end of November but he's in the bakery supply business - from mid-November to the end of December is their peak time and no vacation leave is granted. Our cruise is the end of October/beginning of November and for certain, I intend on celebrating his 65th birthday on board (this is the last year we'll need to worry about his work schedule!).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #17
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Sometimes we can't travel during our actual birthday or celebration time.
I actually used to feel very strongly that if you could not go when your actual date was, or extremely close, then it did not count...but then I was talking to my hubby's friends who are school teachers, and they only have the option of going during the summer, anywhere..so when they do have *Milestone* anniversaries or birthdays, yea, that's okay!

They do not load up and celebrate EVERYONE's birthday from the whole year, but if it is someone's milestone birthday (sweet 16, 15, 13...turning 10, 21, 30, 40, retirement..you get the idea) trip, or celebrating a milestone anniversary, yea, it should count - but since many people go on vacation once a year, I do not feel it is fair to celebrate everyone's birthday who is on the trip.

But...sometimes the cruise you want is not offered during your special occasion!

Sorry, but I think this below is kinda tacky..."Yea Johnny will be 6 in January, and Susie will be 7 in March, and Joey will be 5 in November..and our anniversary is in September...let's tell Disney we are celebrating them all in June to get free stuff!"

You gotta balance it - I'm not the birthday and anniversary police.

I do think it cheapens it and gives a bad message to kids. My mom always tried to 'save money' by telling everyone I was 11/12 for kid's meals at resturants when I was 15. (I was a very small kid so I looked 12.) I was so embarrassed. Sigh. I wanted to eat the adult food, but was stuck with kid's meals at 15.

If she knew about special birthday stuff, I expect she might have tried to do that in WDW for free desserts, our birthdays were in July/August and we usually traveled to WDW in June....the trips were not to celebrate our birthdays, they were a family vacation.

I went on a DCL teaser cruise out of NYC, the week after my 37th birthday. It was a surprise birthday trip! We did 2 days in NYC beforehand and had a blast! The fact we were celebrating my birthday was on our reservation. No one said or did anything for us at all. I heard lots of Happy Birthday songs around us...I saw lots of special treatment - but not one lil recognition..and it was the closest cruise to my actual birthday.

I did not expect something free or a cake or anything extreme - but I would have liked someone to say Happy Birthday to me. This was my first experience on DCL. Hubby would not let me say anything to our waiters. I admit...I was a bit bummed.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
n8nally
DIS Veteran

That's sad your DH wouldn't let you say anything. All those people around you getting "Happy Birthday" sung to them.......told their waiters/GS/someone.

I bet the servers do not routinely just look up all the deets on the people assigned to them. What if someone moves their table assignment after boarding or there is a server out sick at the last minute and they all get moved around?

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
expeditioneverestgrl
DIS Veteran

I celebrated my 12th bday in WDW two weeks before my bday.

This year we r going on the disney dream in the end of November and my brothers 13th bday is in January.

The cruise line is the same as WDW. They will celebrate anything no matter how far it is! Just tell them what you are celebrating, and they will make it magical!
Old 06-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
ScottishDisMam
Mouseketeer

We celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary on the last night of our 7 night cruise last year. Our server mentioned that he was aware of this early on, but on the night it passed unmentioned and I was a bit disappointed but didn't like to say anything. One of the tables next to us was taking up a lot of the servers time so I guess they forgot.
ScottishDisMam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cari12 View Post
Do they make it extra special if you there on your actual birthday? We are considering a 5 night Bahamas next Oct and it happens to have my actual birthday.
We were there on our kids 15th and 13th bday (same day ). It was noted in our reservation. DH happened to mention it to our servers the night before and they had no idea. The night of their bday I tried to keep them there but our service was sooooo slow. After 2 hrs I let them go to their clubs. Of course right after that, the head server came by with their desserts. One actually said "Happy Anniversary".

We were pretty disappointed.
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
RobinN
Earning My Ears

This thread gives me some great insight. My DD will be turning 21 twelve days after our cruise ends in August. I think I'll add celebrating her birthday to make our first cruise extra special.

Robin
RobinN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

This and last year we celebrated my birthday and my grandson's both between our birthdays. Mine is the 12th and his is the 23 of the same month

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: