Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
bre126
Earning My Ears

Is a Disney Cruise really relaxing withan infant and toddler

We are thinking about taking a family cruise next winter and my sister is concerned about taking her 3 year old and 4 month old. Will it really be relaxing, is 4 months old too young to take on a cruise? She hasn't been on a cruise so she doesn't understand how great disney cruises are
bre126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bre126 View Post
We are thinking about taking a family cruise next winter and my sister is concerned about taking her 3 year old and 4 month old. Will it really be relaxing, is 4 months old too young to take on a cruise? She hasn't been on a cruise so she doesn't understand how great disney cruises are
If the 3-yr-old is potty trained and can go in the kids' club, then sure. A 4-month old is pretty portable.

Would she take the kids to Disneyland or WDW, or would that stress her out? Just trying to get a feel for how she copes with traveling in general.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
bre126
Earning My Ears

She isn't really a theme park person I think she will take them to the parks in a few years but she takes them boating for weekends in the summer. And her 3 year old is potty trained so he can go to the kids clubs. And she will have her hubby, our parents and me and DH there to help out if needed
bre126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She isn't really a theme park person I think she will take them to the parks in a few years but she takes them boating for weekends in the summer. And her 3 year old is potty trained so he can go to the kids clubs. And she will have her hubby, our parents and me and DH there to help out if needed
Honestly it depends on the personality of the kids. While my last cruise was not at all relaxing, it was a ton of fun. My kids are go go go. My 14 month old literally wakes up and says, "Go." So I think everyone's experience is dependent on the personality of the kids.

If her 3YO is independent and the 4 month old is not a very demanding baby, then I think it might be relaxing.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Sounds like a cushy vacation.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There isn't really anywhere to go where things are easy and completely relaxing with an infant and 3 yo. IMO a Disney cruise is about as good as it can get, especially if they are going to have family with them to help. We traveled with the kids a lot when DH went places for business. It was sometimes challenging dealing with a crawling infant in a hotel room, but it's better than being at home alone with the kids for a week. Honestly, our first cruise with the kids they were 3 & 5 and it was the most relaxing week post kids EVER. That was with DD3 staying with us constantly because she didn't want to go to the club.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Lawdawg
Earning My Ears

As most have said, it really depends on the child and what stresses out the adult. We booked a 7 day on Fantasy last September for myself, wife, 5 yo daughter and 18 month old son. We took a family beach trip to Florida in June before the cruise, and as soon as we got home, we called and cancelled the reservation for our son, and decided he would stay with grandma. He did not care for pools and did not sleep well away from home, and basically one of us had to stay in the condo with him most of the time in Florida, and we did not want it to be that way on the cruise. We also didn't want to take him and then keep him in the nursery a lot either. That being said, we had a great time with just the 5 y/o and found lots if time to relax while she played in the kids club, which she loved. Not sure if that helps, but that was our experience.
Lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Eliza'sMom
Mouseketeer

Vacation wasn't really fun for me with small babies because my babies didn't sleep through the night. When we took a 6-month-old to Disney World, I worried constantly about her waking up the people in the rooms around us in the middle of the night.

Our Disney trips together:
October 2005: Honeymoon at CSR December 2006: Got a pin code we couldn't resist and headed to POFQ June 2007: Big family vacation off-site December 2007: Babymoon at POFQ December 2009: Ellie's first trip, our first trip as DVC members at BWV April 2010: Mike's 30th and Ellie's 2nd birthday celebration at Pop/AKV September/October 2010: BWV for MNSSHP and Harry Potter April 2011: A week at Jambo House before Ellie turns 3 May 2012: Back to AKV for baby's 1st trip to Disney! Nov/Dec 2012: Our first Disney cruise! Plus AOA, BLT and BWV -- whew! October 2013: Fall fun at Jambo House March/April 2014: Spring break at BWV/VWL January 2015: AOA and BLT
Eliza'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Quote:

Nothing about life is relaxing with a toddler and infant.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
jaybo22
Earning My Ears

With a 4yr old and 1yr old, the toughest part was dinner. It was just hard for them to sit through a 4 course meal. It was stressful to keep them occupied while trying to hurry through the meal. I'm looking forward to cruising again when they are older and we can get the later seating so they can leave for the Oceaneers club if they want. Also, with an early bedtime we had less time to enjoy all the ship had to offer.

That being said, we felt that, compared to any other 7-day vacation with the kids, DCL was as relaxing as you can probably get. Anyone ever rented a beach house and hired a chef, nanny, cook, singers, dancers, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I echo what the previous posters said; there's nothing relaxing about doing anything with a toddler and an infant! But just because it's not relaxing doesn't mean it can't be awesome. I guess it really depends on each family. We love travel and we love Disney so we take the attitude that we'd rather be changing diapers, staying up all night, chasing toddlers and being exhausted on vacation than at home. However, some people we know feel that it would be a "waste" of vacation time and money to travel with their kids when they're so young and needy and they'd rather stay home if they can't relax and enjoy their holiday the way they did before they had kids. It really depends on the family.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a 14 night cruise where my sister took her 3 year old and 4 month old, we had a blast and it was super relaxing! We thought the 4 month old was such an easy age, we sometimes forgot she was with us. I will say that she is an easy baby who sleeps through the night and is happy just being in her carrier. My sister had her in the nursery a lot (including 8 hrs on castaway) and the 3 yr would cry if we tried to take her out of the club so we spent a ton of time in the adult areas. And my sister was traveling without her husband! PM me if u have more questions.
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Is the baby 4 months old now or is she pregnant and the baby WILL be 4 months old at time of travel?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #14
klineyqueen
I live in the country where nothing much happens

I cruised when my son was 12 months old then again when my son was 3 and my daughter was 11 months old. It isn't any less relaxing than any other day with a baby!!! It was wonderful and magical and we loved it.

People would say to me "you're cruising with a baby." My response.... "I feel they are too young to take care of themselves at home." That generally stopped them in their tracks. Mind you this was people pre cruise and not on the cruise itself!

If I had it to do again I would not change it. That being said, I enjoy every stage of my children. I am going back on the cruise with a 10 and 7 year old and that will be a different experience altogether!

Good Luck

1991 - offsite w/ parents 1991 - offsite w/ band 1995 - ASMu 2002 - Caribbean Beach and 3 day Wonder 1/17/04 - Western Cruise-Magic 12/04 - Christmas in Disney8/05 - Pop Century 12/06- Double Dip Magic Cruise w/ POP & ASMu 6/07- Celebrated Mom's 50th Birthday - ASMo Trip for Free Meal Plan 8/07 - POP 6/09 - 12 days at POP8/12 Pop11/13 Fantastic Fantasy
klineyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on the parent and the likelihood they are willing to take advantage of the Kids Club and Nursery. Some parents have the feeling that it is a family vacation and therefore they should be together as a family the entire time. I felt like it was a family vacation and we should all enjoy it.

The first night we took our kids to the MDR with us. That was when I realized it wasn't an enjoyable meal for us or them. Even with late dining/CC pick up it was just too much. That night I reserved the nursery for 2 year old for every dinner for the remainder of the cruise. DS4 loved the kids club. He would have stayed in there from the moment he woke up until it was time for bed. So we dropped him off on the way to dinner. Best decision we made the entire cruise.

We also took one afternoon for us and enjoyed the adult only pool w/o the kids. Heavenly.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: