Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
despina
Mouseketeer

Is HRH or PRH better for families???

I have a 16, 13 and 10 year old daughters and I'm sure they would love the slide I heard about. Is HRH a shorter walk to citywalk??? Opinions please... I don't want my girls to tell me their bored LOL!! thanks
2009 January Marriott Cypress Harbour :cool
2012 Jan Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas DVC [url=http://distickers.com/ticker/]
2012 August Sheraton Vistana
2013 July Universal's Royal Pacific Resort and Marriott's Cypress Harbour

Last edited by despina; 06-19-2013 at 06:42 PM.
despina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i've stayed many times at both hotels.

can't go wrong with either one of them.

both have pool activities for children and adults.
both have the dive in movies at the pool on select nights.
hrh has a slide, rph does not.
rph has the volleyball net, hrh has the pp table.

you would be closer to city walk where the main section of restaurants are if you walked from rph.

walking from hrh to city walk, HRC would be closer.

rph has a couple of shops.
one in the lobby the others on ground floor, outside entrance.

hrh has the rock shop off from the lobby.

if you stay at one of the hotels and need more entertainment, you can go to the other to visit/shop/eat.

Orchid Court Lounge at rph has breakfast, snack items available from 6:00 to 11:00 am m-f, noon on weekends.

in the late afternoon, the sushi counter is open to the public.

you also have Tchop Chop, Jake's, Bula Bar, Islands restraurant onsite.

hrh has E & B in the downstairs lobby, the Kitchen and the Palm restaurant onsite.

both have 24 hour room service.

conch ceremony is usually held on saturday nights in off season at rph.
free to anyone.
cute performance and a hula demonstration.
about a 20 minute bit of entertainment.

usually a pool is the biggest draw for tweens and teens so you can't go wrong either place.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Celizd
Earning My Ears

we usually pick our resort based on the pool. I have an only child (age 10) so I try to find a pool that has a slide rather then just a reg. pool. we stayed at PBH and walked over to HRH, I really liked HRH's pool....lots of fun things. the slide was awesome....they cant get bored lol.
I have never been to RPH so I cant compare.
HRH is a very short walk, especially to universal. I did like the feel at HRH, lots of music etc.
but really either way you go, Im sure they will have a blast
Celizd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

When we were at HRH 2 months ago, the 8 year old kept asking to leave the parks and go back to the hotel so she could go on the water slide.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

kids do love the pools!!

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celizd
we usually pick our resort based on the pool. I have an only child (age 10) so I try to find a pool that has a slide rather then just a reg. pool. we stayed at PBH and walked over to HRH, I really liked HRH's pool....lots of fun things. the slide was awesome....they cant get bored lol.
I have never been to RPH so I cant compare.
HRH is a very short walk, especially to universal. I did like the feel at HRH, lots of music etc.
but really either way you go, Im sure they will have a blast
My daughter always loved hrh pool the best. We never stayed at pbh but the one time we did stay at RPR we spent all our pool time at hrh
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Boardwalk Villas2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld2014 Bay Lake Towers2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas2014 Saratoga Springs
goofyfigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
if you stay at one of the hotels and need more entertainment, you can go to the other to visit/shop/eat.
And swim! They encourage pool hopping at Universal/Loews, so you don't have to have the pool be the decision-maker for the hotel.

I'm sure that teens would appreciate the hotel's music theme, and the pool area seemed really really "cool". It's not for *swimming*, though. The only actually deep part of the pool was at the slide, and you have to swim away from that area immediately.

But it all depends on what they want to do at the pool. If they aren't big into actually swimming, that won't be a problem at HRH's pool.

I personally like PBH the best, and would foist my opinions on any travel partners I was paying for. (though we are checking out RPR again this trip because I barely remember what it was like there and want to give it another try) I'd visit HRH's pool, but I just didn't care for the hotel itself or the room.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

We have only stayed at PBH .It is a beautiful ( very large) resort.It is also the furthest from the parks ( and even that is not terribly far and totally walkable).It has a great pool and slide and they do pool acitivites..HRH is nice but the pool seemed very loud and very busy whenever we walked past it.RPH is also very nice, but no slide
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
mjohnson96
DIS Veteran

Here at Portofino now, the front desk staff was excellent as usual. They were nice enough to make a call and get us into a patio room on the east wing looking at the bay. Very nice.

The walk is not that bad and we take the long way. Have not been to the pool yet but it has been rainy today. Big at least it is cooler with the rain so no complaints there.

My only issue this trip is Lowes new policy to not allow the acceptance of strollers. You have to make arrangements for pick up and drop off since they will not allow any company to leave them at the bell desk. This was a pretty huge issue since they said no problems until after we arrived jn Florida without a stroller and had to figure it out. But got it worked out, just had to make several calls and a couple cancelations before we got it set.

mjohnson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by despina View Post
I have a 16, 13 and 10 year old daughters and I'm sure they would love the slide I heard about. Is HRH a shorter walk to citywalk??? Opinions please... I don't want my girls to tell me their bored LOL!! thanks
We stayed at PBH and HRH and my teens and DH loved HRH. HRH's pool is busy, games, a good slide and had a DJ. My teens would not leave the pool area

I liked PBH for the quiet atmosphere, but my teens thought it was too adult and boring.

I really liked HRH for it's proximity to US, it took me 3min to walk from the pool exit to US. We thought that PBH was too far of a walk for us in the July heat. We were just too tired after a long hot day in the park. We did use the rickshaws alot at PBH- they work for a tip.

We also liked the dining options better at HRH, less formal and more our style.

We asked for our garden view room to be close to the elevator and it was a great room. Very easy to take the elevator to the pool floor and head out to the parks. We got a bad room location at PBH and was quite a way from the food, pool and boat launch area.

We will go back to HRH for the pool, atmosphere for the teens and location.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: