Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #76
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

you know there is another thread that is sharing lovely CM stories might be a good idea to go there and get some feel good for awhile :-)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3129522

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 06-21-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #77
abinormal
Mouseketeer

I don't think you have to be happy all the time, but when your job involves customer service you act happy.

I worked retail for five years and now I'm a librarian so I still deal with the public on a daily basis. I don't think it's acceptable to be abused and I have dealt with crappy customers. But you deal with them and put your fake happy face back on for the next customer, because it isn't their fault, you know? It's part of the job.
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #78
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post
OP here. Wow! This thread took on a life of it's own! Spent a 2nd day at the Magic Kingdom yesterday. After spending the morning at the pool we got to the park about 2pm. I am happy to report that my niece used the finger scan without incident. The skies were threatening for much of the afternoon, but the rain held off until about 6pm. It did become much cooler after the rain started. That was nice!

Thanks to all who replied. It is interesting to see all the differing opinions. With my two incidents, I still believe it was about the cast member's need to be "right." And technically they were right. However, when at Disney I want to be in a nice, happy bubble of an experience. And as "cast members" it's their job to make that happen. A tall order, yes, but that's the Disney difference that I have come to expect. An earlier poster commented about the cast member's need to "save face." I think that was it exactly. I still believe that more training is needed. Again, not training on how to do their job, but training on what makes Disney such a special place.

Interestingly, I witnessed an incident last night where a cast member got it right. We were waiting for the parade on a wall over by Pecos Bills. Two ladies pulled the chairs from the restaurant right up to the parade rope. A cast member walked up to them with a smile and explained that they couldn't take the chairs out of the restaurant. He helped them to find another place on the wall to sit down. He handled it well, and they responded well.
I think more training will help -- more reinforcement almost always does. But there are still going to be people working for Disney who simply don't "get it". With a workforce of over 55,000 in Florida alone, it's safe to say that there will be a few people in that group of CMs who -- like some of our friends & relatives -- just don't understand the magic, no matter how many times it's told to them. That doesn't make them horrible people, but it doesn't mean that Disney can just fire them either. There are unions and rules and protections against that. To whoever suggested the "zero tolerance" / "two strikes and you're out" policy, I'd love to see you try to get that past a union at negotiation time. It's just not that simple. As Planogirl (and others) have said, people can exaggerate, lie, make stuff up, etc. It's not black & white.

And regarding training ... don't forget that all of the CMs you saw during your trip who were doing exactly what they were supposed to, with professionalism and a smile -- including the young man on the parade route at Pecos Bills -- got the exact same training that the sourpuss CMs got. So ... does it really come down to bad training, or is it just a couple of CMs who are simply in the wrong jobs?

Last edited by WDSearcher; 06-21-2013 at 09:05 AM.
WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #79
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
you know there is another thread that is sharing lovely CM stories might be a good idea to go there and get some feel good for awhile :-)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3129522
Posted there too. Lol, it is he extremes that leave an impression. We adore akv so it affected us when we had trouble there. And we tried to be understanding because they were just breaking out the rfid stuff.

It won't keep us from going back, that is for certain. It will always be my favorite!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #80
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

I think part of the reason is guests being so darn rude, it's jading the cast members. People are so demanding & entitled, they expect a Disney vacation to be perfect at every turn and when its not, they have a melt down. People can only take so much and I think the CM's start to just expect the worse after awhile, pre judge and give out attitude towards everyone because they're in a bad mood from being treated like crap all day.

I've seen some really horrible guest behavior, multiple times a day and I said to DH you couldn't pay me enough to put up with that. Not saying it excuses the CM's behavior just saying I can see where they would start to just snap. But I also think when that happens they should find a new job.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #81
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjs0708 View Post
We were entering POC and when asked how many at the loading area the CM actually looked at my daughter and said" I hate my job right now" I just looked at him and said WOW then maybe you shouldn't be a cast member...

We had a CM tell us almost the same thing last week. I understand that they do not like the heat either and there are rude guests who make the job challenging, but this should NEVER be vocalized to a guest.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #82
jackemail
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpygrll View Post
We just got back after spending 8 days in the World - We are DVC and have been going pretty much every year since 1995.

This is the FIRST trip where I've noticed rude cast members as well. We also noticed cast members clumped together alot in stores instead of interacting with guests, and street cleaners etc walking together as they do their work and not interacting.

Also noticed dirty bathrooms, not stocked stations at counter service restaurants (no napkins, out of catsup etc).

Did we still have fun? Absolutely! But I hope this trend doesn't continue because we purposely vacation for the service and the experience. And this time it was definitely lacking in areas.

Jenny
Just back from 8 days as well. Glad to say that we had nothing but pleasant cast members everywhere, except one guy in a shop. Didn't find any dirty restrooms, no line hoppers, no loud groups......great experiences all around.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #83
P'colaBeachBum
Go 'Noles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I understand the CM's are human beings and I really feel for them that they have to deal with rudeness etc. If your cat gets run over that morning there should be tolerance for coming in late or not coming in at all that day. CM's should get more breaks, ongoing training and fun days, and more support from additional CM's and the company.

ETA: For those of you that are tired of threads like this, don't read them, don't comment on them.
I agree...don't like it, don't read.

I really feel for both sides. Having said that...I've had jobs dealing with rude people and the policy where I worked was if there is a problem with an upset customer ...call a manager to deal with it. Perhaps that is what the training for CM's should include rather than have to deal with problems on their own.

I've been going to WDW since 73 and I've notice a decline in "customer service" and the cleanliness in the parks. People visiting have become increasingly rude and self-centered as well. Sign of the times or people feeling entitled because they do spend thousands on a vacation and feel that they can be rude? Very sad in any case.

Last edited by P'colaBeachBum; 06-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.
P'colaBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #84
Nina1
Disney Lover

I think people take for granted just how well trained Disney CM's are. If you really think about it, a lot of them are very young, yet manage to do their jobs exactly how they learned when training. Which, knowing Disney, was extensive and not easy. That being said, they cannot control weather, ride breakdowns, ignorant people, ignorant people or ignorant people. Does this excuse the occasional attitude or non-Disney behavior from a CM? No. That being said, I have seen some of the absolute worst behavior I have ever seen from human beings when on vacation at Disney. And no, I am not talking CM's. So, I totally understand when one of them has an off day.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #85
Nina1
Disney Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
Going out there on a limb...feel free to cut it off...but I am really tired of threads like this! Not everyone is going to have a magical day...we are all entitled to bad days. I can't even imagine the stress of a CM job every day dealing with people who demand the things they do. I have overhead some crazy things and seen people treat CMs really rudely and downright TERRIBLE!
Next time a CM is what you consider rude and crude, maybe you could do something magical for them, like smile and say thank you or tell them that you hope they have a better day!
Perfectly said!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #86
ols386
I want to live at Disney World!!

In all the years I've been going to WDW, I could count the number of rude CM's I've ran across, on one hand, so that's not very many. Having said that, it doesn't excuse the cm that the op wrote about on this thread. It sounds like he was rude, and it was not the fault of the guest.
CBR October 2010, Polynesian December 2009, Wilderness Lodge September 2009, POFQ March 2009, DCL (Wonder) May 2008, Port Orleans Riverside January 2008, Contemporary Resort January 2007, Coronado Springs Resort January 2006, DCL (Wonder) February 2005, POP April 2004, Grand Floridian November 2003, Caribbean Beach Resort March 2002, DCL (Magic) March 2001, Various Visits During Past 15 Years
ols386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #87
MAF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreegirl View Post
I think part of the reason is guests being so darn rude, it's jading the cast members. People are so demanding & entitled, they expect a Disney vacation to be perfect at every turn and when its not, they have a melt down. People can only take so much and I think the CM's start to just expect the worse after awhile, pre judge and give out attitude towards everyone because they're in a bad mood from being treated like crap all day.

I've seen some really horrible guest behavior, multiple times a day and I said to DH you couldn't pay me enough to put up with that. Not saying it excuses the CM's behavior just saying I can see where they would start to just snap. But I also think when that happens they should find a new job.
Great post!
MAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #88
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Being a past CM I have much experience w/ rude guests...

I only cried once but a guy yelled at me because his daughter tripped getting off of SWSA. Out of my control I am not gravity but he SCREAMED at me. I couldn't leave the "stage" because I was controlling the cars....

I worked with one bad apple while I worked in Fantasyland she was in her mid to late 30s & always looked SO unhappy to be there. I never understood it I loved working attractions in Fantasyland??šoš

Once I was working Fastpass bypass between regular line & FP line & I had a lady get mad I didn't let her through & she commanded her kid to PEE on the floor?!!! I had to call for a "protein spill" YUCK!

The worst situation was this: It is too long to type again LOL

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ealt-with.html

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #89
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephorachick View Post
Being a past CM I have much experience w/ rude guests...

I only cried once but a guy yelled at me because his daughter tripped getting off of SWSA. Out of my control I am not gravity but he SCREAMED at me. I couldn't leave the "stage" because I was controlling the cars....

I worked with one bad apple while I worked in Fantasyland she was in her mid to late 30s & always looked SO unhappy to be there. I never understood it I loved working attractions in Fantasyland??šoš

Once I was working Fastpass bypass between regular line & FP line & I had a lady get mad I didn't let her through & she commanded her kid to PEE on the floor?!!! I had to call for a "protein spill" YUCK!

The worst situation was this: It is too long to type again LOL

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...ealt-with.html
My daughter has had a bottle thrown at her when the line wasn't moving fast enough, been cursed at but my favorite is when a child was too short to ride and the dad stood in front of her and taught his four year old how to give her the finger. And those are just a couple of examples of guests at the most magical place on earth.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #90
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
My daughter has had a bottle thrown at her when the line wasn't moving fast enough, been cursed at but my favorite is when a child was too short to ride and the dad stood in front of her and taught his four year old how to give her the finger. And those are just a couple of examples of guests at the most magical place on earth.

Liz
OMG That is awful!!!!

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: