DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I would buy a BLT resale as you are not going to get a lot of points for that budget and you want a large room so I would want to maximise my number of points.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
jerseyduke
Mouseketeer

I agree with the post about you already having unrestricted points for a cruise, etc. So I would go resale.

I also agree with calypso726, particularly points 1, 4 and 8. BLT is not for me. BLT and VGF are two totally different styles, contemporary vs Victorian, and I AM NOT a contemporary person.

I have 150 at VGF, with the exception of a possible add on, my next purchase will be through the resale market
jerseyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
lorie13
Mouseketeer

As was stated you do not have to get the same UY as you currently have. We have April and Dec. Both contracts are in our online account at dvcmember.com and are easily viewable as a drop down.

If you decide to go the resale market for BLT the ability for a good deal has become much more difficult. I have been looking for BLT for two months now and most contracts are stripped, no 2013 points, missing 2014 points and some are no points until 2015. These are still in the upper 90's range with owners not willing to negotiate more than a few dollars. The few that have 2013 points forward are over $100/point and are snatched up right away. When calculating resale costs remember to add closing costs and current year points. There are closing costs with DVC direct, but they are not as high as resale. Direct would be $130 for a cash contract, $505 for a 140 point resale BLT contract. With resale if there are any 2013 points you will pay the maintenance fees up front (unless it is negotiated to be paid by seller) with direct you can have it set up monthly (you may know that with your AKV contract). Here is an example of a resale contract currently listed that would be just over $15K
Bay Lake Tower-$104/pt.
140 Points, December UY
2013 MF $630
Closing Costs: $505
Total Out of Pocket: $15,695.00
140 points coming on 12/1/13 and 140 points coming on 12/1/14.

Also remember for resale it will take approximately 2 months to close a contract and receive your points. Resale contracts also need to go through Disney ROFR where Disney is given the opportunity to purchase the contract. If Disney take the contract, then you go back to find another contract.

If you purchase direct VGF points are loaded the next day.

I am still looking for a BLT resale contract but I also purchased VFG last week. I will not buy BLT over $100, just me.

If you have the luxury of time then resale might be a good choice, just weigh all the pros and cons.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

We went resale for both our contracts. They have different UY (within 1 month of each other). Our BCV is a small contract that we will use those points exclusively for BCV. Our BWV has more points so we will use that for our BWV stays & any time we want to stay elsewhere at the 7 mo. window. Sure, it would be nice to have the same UY but a great BCV contract came along that we were thrilled with that the different UY just did not matter to us. We are also FL residents so have no desire to use our points for a cruise. For us, the FL resident discounts are far better than ever using our DVC points for it. We did our 1st DCL last year & loved it!!However, using DVC points (or even renting points) for WDW hotel stays is way better than FL discount for WDW hotels.
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

If I had $15,000 to spend on vacation lodging -- given your current DVC holdings and visitation pattern -- I would not buy DVC at all.

I might buy some other timeshare which offered far more options for those non-WDW years. DVC is probably the smallest really good timeshare product on the market -- 12 total resorts, 8 of which are at WDW and the other 4 which are outshined by competitors in their vicinity.

Other timeshare products offer much more "versatility" and value than DVC once you leave the boundaries of Walt Disney World...and they are available on eBay for $1.

The other option I would consider is buying nothing -- using the $15,000 for cash vacations to supplement DVC. I know this is a DVC forum, but cash offers some very good opportunities -- including for cruises.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #21
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
12 total resorts, 8 of which are at WDW and the other 4 which are outshined by competitors in their vicinity.
I'll buy that for 2 of them: Vero Beach and Hilton Head. But I don't know of any other timeshares (or hotels, for that matter) near Disneyland that "outshine" the Grand Californian. The closest timeshare I know of is Dolphin's Cove. I've stayed there, and it doesn't outshine anything. It's a perfectly nice 70's era apartment complex that's been converted to a timeshare. As for hotels, the ones around Disneyland are pretty standard. There's nothing in the same class as the GC.

And in Hawaii, do the other Oahu resorts really "outshine" Aulani? Better value, perhaps, but Aulani is a pretty darn good timeshare resort.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #22
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
I'll buy that for 2 of them: Vero Beach and Hilton Head. But I don't know of any other timeshares (or hotels, for that matter) near Disneyland that "outshine" the Grand Californian. The closest timeshare I know of is Dolphin's Cove. I've stayed there, and it doesn't outshine anything. It's a perfectly nice 70's era apartment complex that's been converted to a timeshare. As for hotels, the ones around Disneyland are pretty standard. There's nothing in the same class as the GC.
The thing with Southern California is that "onsite" at DL is nothing like being "onsite" at WDW, so that advantage is minimal. Sure VGC is a beautiful resort, but there are choices in other systems which offer vastly more "versatility" (which is one of OP's prime concerns) ...and which can be purchased without any tortured financial "justifications."

You can buy other systems for $1 on eBay which have 40, 50, close to 100, resorts in their internal timeshare system without exchanging out via II or RCI. Those systems may not have the very best resort in Anaheim, California (), but they have great resorts in dozens of places where DVC offers nothing. Hopefully none of us would buy anybody's timeshare for one resort!

Quote:
And in Hawaii, do the other Oahu resorts really "outshine" Aulani? Better value, perhaps, but Aulani is a pretty darn good timeshare resort.
Sure, Aulani is a beautiful resort, as is the Marriott right next door. But they are both located in the least desirable part of the least desirable island in Hawaii.

Other systems offer a wide variety of very nice resorts on Oahu (including right on Waikiki Beach), Maui, The Big Island, and Kauai. Wyndham, for example, offers ELEVEN resorts on three islands in Hawaii...not one "choice." If you look at the Hilton, Marriott, Wyndham and other offerings in Hawaii, you'll see that there are many better options than being limited to one beautiful resort in the armpit of Oahu.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #23
calypso726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post
I agree with the post about you already having unrestricted points for a cruise, etc. So I would go resale.

I also agree with calypso726, particularly points 1, 4 and 8. BLT is not for me. BLT and VGF are two totally different styles, contemporary vs Victorian, and I AM NOT a contemporary person.

I have 150 at VGF, with the exception of a possible add on, my next purchase will be through the resale market
It's nice to see I am not alone in my sentiments. We added 220 at VGF. If we add on again it will be either BCV resale or Poly direct.

calypso726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sure, Aulani is a beautiful resort, as is the Marriott right next door. But they are both located in the least desirable part of the least desirable island in Hawaii.

Other systems offer a wide variety of very nice resorts on Oahu (including right on Waikiki Beach), Maui, The Big Island, and Kauai. Wyndham, for example, offers ELEVEN resorts on three islands in Hawaii...not one "choice." If you look at the Hilton, Marriott, Wyndham and other offerings in Hawaii, you'll see that there are many better options than being limited to one beautiful resort in the armpit of Oahu.
Having never been to Hawaii, I'm curious what makes you say this. Would you mind elaborating for someone who is very, very unfamiliar with vacationing at Hawaii? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #25
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyduke View Post

I agree with you! I'm already dreaming of a BCV resale...

For the record...I did have 15,000 to spend on DVC and I chose to spend it on GFV. That is the first and only resort that made me stop and think about DVC! Now that I am here, I can see expanding, just don't tell my hubby

jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
Having never been to Hawaii, I'm curious what makes you say this. Would you mind elaborating for someone who is very, very unfamiliar with vacationing at Hawaii? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks!
  • Most people who vacation in Hawaii prefer Maui, Kauai, and The Big Island (Hawaii) to Oahu. Honestly, I would only fly into Honolulu if I couldn't get a direct flight where I really wanted to go. Oahu has a beautiful beach at Waikiki, Pearl Harbor is obviously an important historical site, and the North Coast is legendary surfing territory...but that's about it. The other islands offer much more.
  • A few years ago, the Ko Olina area where Aulani is located was primarily notable for the power plant there, and was an area that some tourist guides warned tourists to avoid. The developers have created a lovely setting there by digging the lagoons, but it's still Ko Olina and it's still far from anything else on Oahu...which is a lot like being a long way from nowhere.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

There is another negative I would cite about Aulani as a justification for buying DVC -- and I'd cite this with ANY timeshare in Hawaii.

Unless you currently vacation in Hawaii, I would not count the ability to do so in the future as a plus. The reason is that Hawaii is just so darn expensive that most people won't go there regularly enough to make it a real benefit. If you are not going to use an option, what is the value?

And that is true of any timeshare system's Hawaiian offerings -- just too expensive to get to unless you live on the West Coast.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #28
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

If I didn't have a strong preference for one resort over another, I'd go with a BLT resale. Points are too valuable to use for Disney cruises and the other 'low point value' options you'd be restricted from booking, so I'd take more points for the money 11 times out of 10. You can always rent your points for cash and pay for the cruise!

This week we were blessed to have $15,000 to spend on DVC, and we purchased at GFV. Why?

My wife and I started our Disney journey together with our honeymeoon at the GF. Almost 22 years, 3 kids, and two DVC contracts later we couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring that journey full circle and own at GFV. We look forward to having the opportunity to stay there a little more often than we have since that wonderful honeymoon trip.

What other reasons would I choose GFV? Personal taste, for starters. We like the theme, restaurants, grounds at the GF much more than the Contemporary. If you are buying direct from Disney the lower point cost helps. The extra four years is nice. Biggest reason, though...is that if you hope to stay at GFV in the future, I think the home resort advantage will be BIG. It's a very small resort, and sales have been through the roof, and that was before sales opened to the general public on the 19th. The guide I purchased with told me that AFTER we bought, so it wasn't his sales line.

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
iluvthsgam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
  • Most people who vacation in Hawaii prefer Maui, Kauai, and The Big Island (Hawaii) to Oahu. Honestly, I would only fly into Honolulu if I couldn't get a direct flight where I really wanted to go. Oahu has a beautiful beach at Waikiki, Pearl Harbor is obviously an important historical site, and the North Coast is legendary surfing territory...but that's about it. The other islands offer much more.
  • A few years ago, the Ko Olina area where Aulani is located was primarily notable for the power plant there, and was an area that some tourist guides warned tourists to avoid. The developers have created a lovely setting there by digging the lagoons, but it's still Ko Olina and it's still far from anything else on Oahu...which is a lot like being a long way from nowhere.
Just went to Aulani for the first time this March. Also my first time to Hawaii as well. I stayed at the Marriott in Maui as well. If you mean "outshine" as far as resort selection and location I could see your point. If you are only talking about the resort, I would say Aulani beats the Marriott handily. When we were at the Marriott it felt like any other hotel. When we were at Aulani it felt like being in Hawaii.

I understand your comments about location and those are good points to raise. CM's at Aulani mentioned to us that they were expanding things while we were there because they expected people to leave the resort and see other parts of Hawaii at times and that wasn't happening. People were just staying at Aulani their whole trip.

If you want to visit Hawaii often and go to different islands, obviously DVC is at a disadvantage. But I don't necessarily think that discounts how nice the Aulani property is.
iluvthsgam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #30
PCMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC

I think he is referring only to location compared to waikiki. It is 25 miles from town. That being said, I would hardly call that side of the island the armpit of Hawaii. Kapolei is oahus second city and home to the major chain stores and newer home developments. Waianae is and older community with many locals but nice beaches. Ko Olina resort is beautiful- if you are looking for sunshine and a safe place for children free of crowds, less crime (due to limited access to the area), and swimmable safe lagoons, ko Olina is a better location. Whenever it rains on the rest of the island most of the time its sunny there. The Marriott ko Olina beach club is a larger property that is more spread out with three pools and a quiet pool. The property also has its own lagoon not shared by another hotel.

It's a matter of preference only. Some people like the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. I recently stayed at aulani and the Hilton Hawaiian village in Waikiki. Both were fun, but for small children, I was always worried about them getting run over by fast moving tourists or bikes in Waikiki.

I'm going to the Marriott propety in two weeks so I would have been at all three in a matter of three months I can probably provide a better comparison after my stay.
PCMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: