Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #31
misndug
Earning My Ears

Someone mentioned Gift Cards for shopping. Can you purchase with your on board credit/account/KTTW card? I have gift cards to apply - should I hold one out to take to CC?

Me DH DD(11) DS (7)
misndug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:58 AM   #32
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Your KTTW card works on Castaway Cay just like on the ship.

If you have a gift card you can apply that to your onboard account at guest services for use on your cruise. It will be debited before your credit card is, along with any onboard credit you may have.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #33
cris0809

To actually answer the original question posed: apparently a whole lot less than the rest of you! Dress in bathing suit and apply sunscreen in the room beforehand. Sunglasses. Towel that I pick up coming off the ship. Lanyard with ID/KTTW card. We bring our snorkel gear in a very minimal slingpack sometimes.

They have everything I need already on the island. Food, a bar, a hammock, sand, loungers, the ocean... Don't need much else!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #34
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qits View Post
Can I buy post cards on CC ??
Yes, they have them, but if you wish to mail them from CC, it is best to buy on shlip, have them written out and addressed so that you can purchase your stamps at the Post Office and mail right when you get off the ship. The Post Office does not stay open all day, and if you wait until even lunch time, it is usually closed.

Don't forget to look in the desk drawer in your cabin as there are a couple of post cards there for you to use as well.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #35
qits
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Yes, they have them, but if you wish to mail them from CC, it is best to buy on shlip, have them written out and addressed so that you can purchase your stamps at the Post Office and mail right when you get off the ship. The Post Office does not stay open all day, and if you wait until even lunch time, it is usually closed.

Don't forget to look in the desk drawer in your cabin as there are a couple of post cards there for you to use as well.
Thank you!
qits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

Never been to CC but my list is pretty much what we always take to the beach, just slimmed down quite a bit to fit into a backpack that either my hubby or I will use as our carry-on on the plane:

DSLR camera in ziplock bag
Waterproof camera & extra batteries
A small bucket and shovel for each kid
Maybe a couple sandcastle molds for the girls
A couple trucks for my son to play with in the sand
Goggles for everyone
A bottle of sunscreen (A new one for each day. I can't believe so many of you don't re-apply, especially on kids...in the BAHAMAS!!!)
Brush with ponytail holders wrapped around the handle
Eye drops/contact solution
Thermoses for all of us to refill at the drink stations (we'll probably each carry our own)

Otherwise, we'll wear our bathing suits, cover-ups, sunglasses and hats

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
Ephany
DIS Veteran

We wear our swimsuits/cover-ups/sunglasses/hats and first application of sunscreen. In the beach bag:

-small portable beach safe that attaches to bag and beach chair
-Safe Sea for the sea lice
-sunscreen
-water bottle to refill
-waterproof camera
-cash
-KTTW cards
-goggles
-tickets for any excursions/rentals
-extra ponytail holders & small first aid kit
-towels
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #38
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

When our kids were younger we would stop at the first gift shop and get them sand toys and a couple beach towels- they make great souveniers!

And in 7 trips to CC we've never NOT found umbrellas. I'm a fair skinned redhead- I wouldn't last long out there in the sun.
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

firsttimemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #39
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
Because we have 3 children, one who is 18 months old. We have a pop up tent we can bring to give the kids some shade if there wasn't available umbrellas. Plus, like someone else already said....I like a big towlel or a chair to sit on.
e

There have been previous discussions on whether you can bring tents. It seems the little (really little) ones might be allowed but not bigger ones. You could bring a big towel, but there are chairs almost everywhere. You can't bring your own chair.

If you are worried, go early or go late. Many people head back to the ship early freeing up seats. There are shadier spots, but sometimes the seat you pick starts in the shade then becomes sunny - it's the beach. Much easier to deal with than a regular beach (bathrooms, food, water, chairs, umbrellas all available for you), but it's still a beach and there is sun and there is sand and there are other people.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #40
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58
e

There have been previous discussions on whether you can bring tents. It seems the little (really little) ones might be allowed but not bigger ones. You could bring a big towel, but there are chairs almost everywhere. You can't bring your own chair.

If you are worried, go early or go late. Many people head back to the ship early freeing up seats. There are shadier spots, but sometimes the seat you pick starts in the shade then becomes sunny - it's the beach. Much easier to deal with than a regular beach (bathrooms, food, water, chairs, umbrellas all available for you), but it's still a beach and there is sun and there is sand and there are other people.

Nancy
We love our vitamin D so I'm not worried about the sun or people....I've been to a beach before. I simply wanted to know about the umbrellas.

The tent is pretty small so I'm not sure how they would have a problem with it. It literally pops up, too. Its in a small bag so I guess we will take our chances.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #41
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom
When our kids were younger we would stop at the first gift shop and get them sand toys and a couple beach towels- they make great souveniers!

And in 7 trips to CC we've never NOT found umbrellas. I'm a fair skinned redhead- I wouldn't last long out there in the sun.
Good to know, thank you!!
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #42
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

The best tip I learned from a friend who lives near the beach is to take baby powder with us.

Sprinkles it on legs and feet and voila - sand brushes right off! We never go to the beach without it now.

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
klj0207
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom View Post

This is very good to know....being a redhead myself with 2 small redheads!

klj0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
klj0207
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
KTTW card/photo ID/lanyard, sarong, extra big t-shirt, sunscreen, Kindle, camera, bottled water, lip balm, visor or hat, sunglasses, towel purchased on ship (I like to use full sized towels and the ones they hand out are not very big). Next time I will bring water shoes (never needed them in many cruises by last time I could have used them so will bring next time) and some sort of hair twisty/clip.
Oh...and a travel sized thing of baby powder (great in helping get dried sand off your feet/ankles). All this goes in a beach bag or backpack.

MJ
I'm sure I'll figure this out later, but what is a KTTW card....and why an extra big t-shirt?

klj0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #45
cris0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by klj0207 View Post
I'm sure I'll figure this out later, but what is a KTTW card....and why an extra big t-shirt?
KTTW card = Key to the World Card. It's your everything! Stateroom key, identification, key to getting on and off the ship, your charge card for cocktails, merchandise or spa services. It also has your dining time, table, and rotation listed as well as your muster station.

Extra big t-shirt = I use these for snorkeling so the sun isn't streaming on my back the whole time I am floating on top of the water.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: