Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #3211
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

Hello!

Just popping in to say I just booked a garden view room for 9 nights, checking in next Friday! We've been booked at Beach Club, but just can't get away from wanting the monorail and MK area. I'm worried about the construction, but we love the Grand. No Sugarloaf this time around, but I requested Boca Chica or Big Pine Key.

Somebody that has been there recently, please ease my mind about construction!

Also, are Boca and Big Pine Key good choices for garden view? I also requested a daybed. Do all rooms get turndown? I have asked a half dozen cast members via online chat and gotten "yes" and "no". Can I request it?

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #3212
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarner View Post
Also, are Boca and Big Pine Key good choices for garden view? I also requested a daybed. Do all rooms get turndown? I have asked a half dozen cast members via online chat and gotten "yes" and "no". Can I request it?
We had a GV in Big Pine Key and loved it. It's right next to the courtyard pool (as is Boca Chica) and is convenient to the main building and isn't far from Gasparillas (IMO) . We spent most of our time at the courtyard pool, but we also weren't far from the beach pool. With that said, I think Big Pine Key and Boca Chica are both good requests. I think you can request turndown for any room, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will be able to verify that or correct me if I'm wrong ,

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #3213
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Does the couch in each room convert to a bed?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #3214
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a picture of the room with daybed open?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3215
dfarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We had a GV in Big Pine Key and loved it. It's right next to the courtyard pool (as is Boca Chica) and is convenient to the main building and isn't far from Gasparillas (IMO) . We spent most of our time at the courtyard pool, but we also weren't far from the beach pool. With that said, I think Big Pine Key and Boca Chica are both good requests. I think you can request turndown for any room, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will be able to verify that or correct me if I'm wrong ,
Thanks Mickeynut. Sugarloaf was a great location, but we spent a lot of time in the courtyard pool on our last visit, and I remember thinking that if I didn't book club level in the future I would request either of those buildings. They practically look over the pool, if I remember correctly. I'm thinking since we're booked garden view that would be where we were if we get our request, since the other side of the building faces the lagoon (and MK?). Not that that would be a bad thing either.

As for turndown, I think I'm going to request it just to see what happens.

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #3216
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Thanks Mickeynut. Sugarloaf was a great location, but we spent a lot of time in the courtyard pool on our last visit, and I remember thinking that if I didn't book club level in the future I would request either of those buildings. They practically look over the pool, if I remember correctly. I'm thinking since we're booked garden view that would be where we were if we get our request, since the other side of the building faces the lagoon (and MK?). Not that that would be a bad thing either.

All rooms at the GF have turndown, so no need to request it - have a great time!

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!::F&WF Quickie October 2014
Sweet 16 Trip to Disneyland - July 2015

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #3217
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Does the couch in each room convert to a bed?
Yes, it is about the size of a twin bed .

Quote:

You're welcome . I agree.....the location of SL is very convenient to the courtyard pool. And you are correct that Big Pine Key and Boca Chica overlook the pool as well, so you can't lose .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #3218
dfarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllis1966 View Post
All rooms at the GF have turndown, so no need to request it - have a great time!

Great to hear, thanks! You've made my night

Me DH DD11 DD7

2011-Polynesian~GVCL
Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #3219
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, it is about the size of a twin bed .

You're welcome . I agree.....the location of SL is very convenient to the courtyard pool. And you are correct that Big Pine Key and Boca Chica overlook the pool as well, so you can't lose .
Thanks! That is what my DS sleeps on at the poly, does housekeeping aslo have the bedrail for the daybed? DD will be 3 next trip and will need the rail. thanks!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #3220
appledown
Earning My Ears

We are leaving on Sunday for out first GF stay! We've been to AKL and POFQ multiple times, but finally able to go to GF. I'm so excited! Any suggestions for "must dos" or tips? It is me, my DH, DS 12 and DD 7.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #3221
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree that it's not a big deal getting a blue key instead of a gold one, but it is nice to see that gold card when entering a park or paying for something, even though it is just a fun perk .
We will be sad to see the gold cards go, not only are they fun but they help me remember various stays when I'm looking at my packets of souvenir maps/keys at home. We don't always stay club, so if I see a gold key card, I know I'm getting close to finding the packet I want.

Quote:
Hello!

Just popping in to say I just booked a garden view room for 9 nights, checking in next Friday! We've been booked at Beach Club, but just can't get away from wanting the monorail and MK area. I'm worried about the construction, but we love the Grand. No Sugarloaf this time around, but I requested Boca Chica or Big Pine Key.

Somebody that has been there recently, please ease my mind about construction!

We were there in late April and the construction wasn't a big deal for us. Still a little sad about the changes to the courtyard pool, but we'll adapt and we had a great stay.

Boca and BPK are good choices for garden view, but keep in mind BPK has a good number of rooms that look into the back of the pool building. If you get a 4th or 5th floor room, it will negate this problem, so you could request "high floor". I've stopped requesting BPK and ask for either Conch Key (our favorite for the great central location) or Boca.

As phyllis posted, all rooms at the Grand have turn down, so enjoy!

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture of the room with daybed open?
I think there is a photo on the first page, but I'll go look. If not, I'm sure I have one somewhere.

Quote:
Thanks! That is what my DS sleeps on at the poly, does housekeeping aslo have the bedrail for the daybed? DD will be 3 next trip and will need the rail. thanks!
They do have bedrails, not sure if they fit the daybed. I hope someone can answer.:flowe3:
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 06-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #3222
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're welcome . I don't have personal experience with the bedrails, but I think they are available for the daybed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledown View Post
We are leaving on Sunday for out first GF stay! We've been to AKL and POFQ multiple times, but finally able to go to GF. I'm so excited! Any suggestions for "must dos" or tips? It is me, my DH, DS 12 and DD 7.
Congrats on your first GF stay . I love just walking the GF grounds....it's so peaceful and the surroundings are beautiful. You're gonna love the Grand.....have a great trip .

Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #3223
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
We will be sad to see the gold cards go, not only are they fun but they help me remember various stays when I'm looking at my packets of souvenir maps/keys at home. We don't always stay club, so if I see a gold key card, I know I'm getting close to finding the packet I want.
Me too . I keep all of our old KTTW cards and I love the gold ones. We don't always stay CL either, so it's nice to have that gold card once in awhile .

Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #3224
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

appledown - congrats on your first stay, you are leaving so soon!!

My best tip is to simply enjoy the resort. Leave plenty of time for exploring the grounds, sit in the lobby listening to the music (after 3 p.m.), have a snack at Gasparilla's while watching Wishes, get out on the water in a Sea Racer, have afternoon tea at the Garden View Tea Room, hang out at the pools.

Have a Grand vacation.

dfarner, here is a photo of the view from our 4th floor BPK room. You can see the pool building below the balcony and can see how the lower floors would have very little view of the pool.

jennygt, here is a photo of the opened daybed:

*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #3225
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Me too . I keep all of our old KTTW cards and I love the gold ones. We don't always stay CL either, so it's nice to have that gold card once in awhile .
We were posting at the same time.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: