Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Tormania
Mouseketeer

This sucks. I hadn't planned on adding the DDP to my ressie until Oct cause I didn't expect a price increase to occur until 2014....now this will cost us about $50 extra dollars....getting VERY close to break even with OOP to be honest.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

The way I am understanding the increase it is the "up charge" for peak season not an increase in the overall cost of the DP.

DDP $55.59 Peak before $56.94 Peak as of 6/19 $58.66

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
It happens every year when Disney increases prices. The price increase was on June 2nd and was announced the week before on these boards. All of the FL parks increase prices mid calendar year. It used to be in August until a few years ago. Disney has increased prices first week of June the last few years. US/IOA went up about a month before Disney and SeaWorld a couple of weeks before.
OP is talking about dining plan prices, not ticket prices.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
The way I am understanding the increase it is the "up charge" for peak season not an increase in the overall cost of the DP.

I ran tests on the thread that popped up over in the DDP forums yesterday. (I linked to it up thread as well).

My test findings found that the pricing for Oct 19-20 and Dec 25-26 (Oct timing is solidly in "normal" time, Dec is solidly in "holiday" time) was identical. Unless... there is a bug where it's looking at the pricing for right now and applying that? It's still over by a couple dollars, but that would explain the lack of holiday upcharge for Dec? (Or, perhaps the prices did rise, and there's a bug that only determines the current season?)

As you can probably tell, I'm very skeptical that the holiday upcharge is going away .

I do have some free time tonight (a certain MMO keeps me busy Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights from 7-10pm CST ), so I'll run some more test cases and see what I can see.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you read the mousesavers quote and link I posted on the page previous it is for the rest of the year on newly booked packages.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I have never seem Disney raise DDP prices mid year! I'm really surprised!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafeen View Post
I ran tests on the thread that popped up over in the DDP forums yesterday. (I linked to it up thread as well).

My test findings found that the pricing for Oct 19-20 and Dec 25-26 (Oct timing is solidly in "normal" time, Dec is solidly in "holiday" time) was identical. Unless... there is a bug where it's looking at the pricing for right now and applying that? It's still over by a couple dollars, but that would explain the lack of holiday upcharge for Dec? (Or, perhaps the prices did rise, and there's a bug that only determines the current season?)

As you can probably tell, I'm very skeptical that the holiday upcharge is going away .

I do have some free time tonight (a certain MMO keeps me busy Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights from 7-10pm CST ), so I'll run some more test cases and see what I can see.
I looked at the other thread with your chart and I see what you are saying and I agree with you about the peak season pricing not going away, after all Disney already has their guests expecting peak season upcharges. Very confusing to say the least.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila

Last edited by sjs314; 06-20-2013 at 10:48 PM.
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
Cakegirl
Earning My Ears

Ahhhh, I was just going to book today a package that I had quoted a few days ago -- and it went up over $100. I was barely talking DH into going...now I have to talk him into an extra $100 (probably not going to happen).

I called Disney to see why the increase and the rep said that the prices didn't change, and that maybe I had mixed up on the room request or something (ummm, no - I spend lots of hours on the website...I know my room types! haha). He then said that if a travel agent quoted me, that they were just trying to make extra money for themselves! I then asked about the dining surcharge going up, and he denied it (maybe the reps haven't been filled in yet??). Ugh.

Man, I was --> THIS <-- close to going during my Fall Break!
Old 06-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakegirl View Post
Ahhhh, I was just going to book today a package that I had quoted a few days ago -- and it went up over $100. I was barely talking DH into going...now I have to talk him into an extra $100 (probably not going to happen).

I called Disney to see why the increase and the rep said that the prices didn't change, and that maybe I had mixed up on the room request or something (ummm, no - I spend lots of hours on the website...I know my room types! haha). He then said that if a travel agent quoted me, that they were just trying to make extra money for themselves! I then asked about the dining surcharge going up, and he denied it (maybe the reps haven't been filled in yet??). Ugh.

Man, I was --> THIS <-- close to going during my Fall Break!
The Mousesavers update is just from yesterday so I think this is really new and many of the reps probably don't even know yet.
Have you thought of taking what the dining plan would have cost and putting it on a gift card and using that for food? I think (especially with these new prices) that many people can come out better dining out of pocket. Just avoid the more expensive places and buffets and you should be able to do better than the plan.
I know I've hit my no return point. I wasn't planning on paying for the DDP before but I sure as heck won't be doing it now.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

This is crazy. I have always been a DDP lover. But this is getting ridiculous. I never thought I would go oop, but now i may check off site hotel pricing since the dining plan is now really hard to make a value and magic hours have decreased. The value of staying onsite is really diminishing. I'm really disappointed with Disney.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012: Jan 2 - 12 2014
Disneyland - Jan 3 - 13 2015 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #27
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan22 View Post
This is crazy. I have always been a DDP lover. But this is getting ridiculous. I never thought I would go oop, but now i may check off site hotel pricing since the dining plan is now really hard to make a value and magic hours have decreased. The value of staying onsite is really diminishing. I'm really disappointed with Disney.
ITA! We are skipping the DP on our next trip. We used to love it, but I just cannot justify the cost anymore.
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #28
Cakegirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Have you thought of taking what the dining plan would have cost and putting it on a gift card and using that for food? I think (especially with these new prices) that many people can come out better dining out of pocket. Just avoid the more expensive places and buffets and you should be able to do better than the plan.
Thank you! Yes, I think this is what we'll do. We figure that with doing quick service only (out of pocket), it'll save us money (and time not doing table service since October park hours are shorter anyways).

I've always been a big fan of the dining plan...but I can't justify the extra $100+ overnight. Okay, back to being excited and hoping that I can book this tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Just 6 years ago I paid about $40 something (on the low end of 40 something) per adult for the dining plan and it included appetizers and tips then too. This price is just ridiculous now. I will really have to do some hard core math to see if it works for us in the future. My daughter is approaching adult pricing and she won't eat adult portions. I have always been a big fan of the dining plan, but upping the price just 6 months after they upped it already is uncalled for.
jenseib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I looked at the other thread with your chart and I see what you are saying and I agree with you about the peak season pricing not going away, after all Disney already has their guests expecting peak season upcharges. Very confusing to say the least.
I did run a bunch more tests early this morning (starting at 3am... I fell asleep at 9pm and woke up early ), but didn't get to finish before I got all sleepy again.

The listed prices certainly were consistent throughout 1, 3, and 5 night stays with 1-2 adults and 1-2 children over a timeframe in October. I ran out of steam after doing 1 day testing over Christmas, but the numbers weren't changing for then either.

However, I did see that Premium/Platinum packages did not change with this, so it looks limited to the dining plan only. I'm also expecting changes to come to light once 2014 packages are released that include a further seasonal upcharge. My thinking is now, since these are higher than the post upcharge before, they are the new base for 2014, then upcharge will then be additional to them for 2014 holiday periods.

The quiet increase in the middle of a year effective immediately is a really sneaky way to do this. Granted, tickets do the same, but it's announced AND they're the same price between increases. This was a fully off-schedule (schedule consisting of nearly 10 years worth of changes) and with absolutely zero announcement or anything. Even room rates typically have some announcement (since they also typically come with next year's package updates). The fact they're also on a record-setting year attendance-wise makes me think that it's more about milking the guests than anything else.

Sadly, I'm hearing signs of pure money grab more than anything else here.

(Also note, I'm in a cynical mood today.)

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)

Last edited by Cafeen; 06-21-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: