Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dunphy View Post
How is it a big surprise when you know of other rude castmember threads?
sorry not to make light of OP's experience but this was a cute post

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

For some giggles get onto Facebook and search for Rage Cast Member. It's essentially a list of pet peeves.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Julylady
DIS Veteran

I for one, was not surprised. I have been reading tnese types of threads for months. I never thought I would be writing one though, I believe in general that people treat you how you treat them. Thus, if I have a good attitude, people will treat me well, in both of my cases it was the vast members who had the attitude.

I hoping that Disney is monitoring these boards and will see that people are noticing. My understanding is that the Traditions training has been drastically trimmed, I am thinking that it would be there that positive guest interaction would be covered.
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

With the amount of CMs that work there I have to say again the now & then bad apple I can deal with and move on I do not believe Traditions has been trimmed or any other part of ongoing training has been cut

Does Disney hire someone every now & then that once out in the world isn't so magical ? I'm sure it happens many times and eventually the CM or more likely their manager will find this is not a good fit Same as any other employment outside the "world"

a story of renewed hope and the power of the Dis:UPDATED JULY 13http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3111056

Old 06-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #20
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
However, Mr. Iger's golden parachute keeps getting larger.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
donalduck
DIS Veteran

Theses people get paid pretty much below the poverty level and you really except every cast memeber to be happy and cheer all day long. Have you ever thought of the crap that they have to deal with every day?
Of course you are going to come across some that are grummpy. Everyone has a bad day. It could have been there bad day. I am sure you have had bad days.
donalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
6packdoesdisney
Trippin' 'Round THE WORLD!

Just back from 8 day trip as well...LOL
We Definitely encountered a few rude CM's as well, and yes it is shocking when it happens....you just think, really???
Some of these kids get a little authority over the guests and yikes, some can be quite rude and drill sargeant like.
It used to be that you would nearly never have these incidents, but yeah, they are humans and many are young and immature and insecure.
And in the sweltering heat and massive crowds and BAM, a recipe for hostility and anger breaks out, even in Disney!
It's a part of life everywhere nowadays, unfortunately.

We really thought some of the other guests were horridly behaved.
Many, many line cutters! Several coolers on wheels to trip over.
These are the things we wish Disney would address, enforcing their own policies
would be a great place to start in thwarting the entitled, hostile guests, making unpleasant incidents soil other guests magical days!

6packdoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post
OP here. I turned around as soon as I heard she was having an issue. I definitely saw the glare and the panic on her face.

I wholly put the blame on Disney and the fact that they cut down on training. In both cases the cast members were doing their job, but it was more important to be "right" even if it meant giving me as the guest a bad experience. It's just so jarring since for years that never happened at WDW.
These kinds of comments always confuse me. Yes, training is fewer days than it was back in the first days of WDW, but the training process has been the same for at least a decade. If this is truly the first time in all your trips that you've had a rude CM, then it can't really be blamed on training, since training hasn't significantly changed in the past ten years.

But more than that ... I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that a Disney CM might just be the wrong person in the wrong job. There are a lot (a LOT) of people who take a job at WDW thinking it's going to be pixie dust and smiles all day. They think going to work will be the same as visiting as a guest. They come into Casting and say, "I'll do any job you have -- I just want to work at Disney World!"

So ... Disney puts them into whichever job they most need to fill -- usually Foods, Custodial or Turnstiles. And then that person discovers that working at Disney is just that -- WORK. Some people are not suited to it. They could get three weeks of training from Walt himself and STILL end up unhappy in their job and rude to guests.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
These kinds of comments always confuse me. Yes, training is fewer days than it was back in the first days of WDW, but the training process has been the same for at least a decade. If this is truly the first time in all your trips that you've had a rude CM, then it can't really be blamed on training, since training hasn't significantly changed in the past ten years.

But more than that ... I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that a Disney CM might just be the wrong person in the wrong job. There are a lot (a LOT) of people who take a job at WDW thinking it's going to be pixie dust and smiles all day. They think going to work will be the same as visiting as a guest. They come into Casting and say, "I'll do any job you have -- I just want to work at Disney World!"

So ... Disney puts them into whichever job they most need to fill -- usually Foods, Custodial or Turnstiles. And then that person discovers that working at Disney is just that -- WORK. Some people are not suited to it. They could get three weeks of training from Walt himself and STILL end up unhappy in their job and rude to guests.

Absolutely agree with everything you said especially like the last line ! Well put

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post

I was coming here to say this, but you already said it perfectly.

I've been reading these "castmember horror stories" for years, and someone always thinks it's because of "cut backs" or "kids these days" or the "decline of society". But the simple fact is, Disney's not going to heck in a handbasket. It's just that the more often you visit, the more the pixie dust wears away and the more sensitive you become to the small imperfections that were always there all along.

OP, sorry you had the bad luck to run into a couple grumpy castmembers!
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #26
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post
A long time WDW visitor here. Yesterday, I had two encounters with cast members who were rude. Well, I had one and I witnessed another. Both instances took me by surprise because it just so unexpected at Disney! Both happened at Magic Kingdom.

Incident #1. Entering park with my 11 year old niece. She is using day 3 of a five day pass. On the previous days she has not had to use the finger scan. This time, the Cast Member told her to put her finger on. When that didn't work, he told her to try her thumb. Still didnt work. She was confused since she had not had to do this before and he glared at her. he was an older guy and was very intimidating to an 11 year old. I was ahead of her and turned back to see a look of panic on her face. He then asked me if it was a new ticket, I said no since this was our third day. He scanned it and told me it was a new ticket since there was no thumb print attached to it. This was said in a very accusatory tone like I was lying to him. I said, this is the third day she has used it, and she has not had to use a finger scan until now. He then let me know that we had been doing it "wrong" and he was right. All this while the line was backing up behind us. I wanted to say "whatever" but didnt. I am sure he saw it in my face though and kept on talking. It was as if he had to convince me that he was "right." He was holding her pass so we couldn't leave. I finally just held out my hand.

Incident # 2. Late afternoon in Magic Kingdom sipping my Starbucks latte on the patio tables by the ice cream store. We were sharing a table with another couple. My niece got up to get a napkin. As soon as she got up, a cast member pulled the chair away. The guy sitting with us stopped her and said "we are still using it." She gave him a really disgusted look. He called her on it and then she told us that she had to clear away the tables for a show that was starting at 5pm. It was now 4:15. She said she had to take the chairs away as soon as someone stood up. My new friend told her to wait as we were still using the chair. She got really angry. I started looking around and caught the eye of another cast member. He came over and got in front of the angry one. He told my niece (who was now standing there with her napkin), to sit down. He told us to take as much time as we needed.

Yes, it was hot. Yes, they might have been having a bad day. No, I didn't go and report them. I wasn't going to waste my time. However, I have never had these types of experiences at Disney before.

Okay, now I feel better.
On incident #1 - what happened on day 4 and 5 of the ticket? Did your niece need to have a finger scan? She was let into the park and I don't think she had problems with getting FastPasses so all was good.

On incident #2 - you got the chair back so no big deal.

I could never be a Disney Cast Member - just too many things to deal with. I'd be told to get finger scans for anyone with an adult ticket only to be told by an aunt that her niece never had to do that before. Well, I wasn't there but this is what I'm told today. I'm told to take chairs away so the area can be cleared for a show. I don't know where that girl went or when she's coming back so I do what I'm told to do.

Sorry that people feel the Cast Members need to be happy and perky all freaking day long. I can tell you that doesn't happen at my work at all. And I get paid a lot more.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
On incident #1 - what happened on day 4 and 5 of the ticket? Did your niece need to have a finger scan? She was let into the park and I don't think she had problems with getting FastPasses so all was good.

On incident #2 - you got the chair back so no big deal.

I could never be a Disney Cast Member - just too many things to deal with. I'd be told to get finger scans for anyone with an adult ticket only to be told by an aunt that her niece never had to do that before. Well, I wasn't there but this is what I'm told today. I'm told to take chairs away so the area can be cleared for a show. I don't know where that girl went or when she's coming back so I do what I'm told to do.

Sorry that people feel the Cast Members need to be happy and perky all freaking day long. I can tell you that doesn't happen at my work at all. And I get paid a lot more.
Sorry, but NO to everything. WDW would never have become more than an amusement park if their customer focus was as low as your expectations.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #28
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

Turnstile CM has got to be the worst position in Disney (other than maybe parking). You stand outside in the hot all day dealing with ticket problems that you can't necessarily do anything about. They are trying to get people through as quickly as possible and it must be frustrating when things go wrong.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #29
Hisgirl
DIS Veteran

In my opinion, we build Disney visits up to be almost 'other worldly' absent of all the stresses of work, the toils of homelife, snakes, snails and puppy dog tails (well, maybe not the snakes...according to a few posters...few is one too many IMO but that's another thread called "Why Snakes Don't Belong in the Magical Place")

Cast Members are just regular people, walking around with a sore foot, realizing they forgot to pay the Comcast bill, feeling a little light-headed from the heat, upset because the cat has thrown up but they don't have a day off till Saturday for a vet visit, or just feeling a little pissy cause they're on their period.

This is all just real stuff. Should they feel all happy and joyous because they're in WDW for heaven's sake and don't they realize this is the HAPPY PLACE? I guess it'd be great if they did (for their sake too) but folks are folks and life happens.

It would be great if people were overly kind and nice all the time, especially when interacting with people who have just spent over $4,000 to come be served and entertained, but I guess people let their own lives dictate their attitudes. We ran into kind folks our last trip except for two CMs who obviously didn't speak english. At all. That was annoying and unnecessary.

Quite frankly, the older I get, the more I'm seeing people acting out their irritations. Road rage was unheard of in the 60s and 70s. Not sure what is happening, but I think the whole world could use a shot of 'nice'. Just my two cents.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
belle032
Mouseketeer

OP-I'm very sorry you had those experiences. There is no cause for CM rudeness in your case and you didn't deserve it.

However, I don't see the need for someone to post a horrified thread EVERYTIME there is a less than amazing CM interaction. I rarely see posts complimenting a great CM and i know that those interactions happen. It's unfortunate we take the time to post so many negative things and overlook positive ones.

I was a CM for over 3 years and can speak firsthand about not being paid enough or dealing with rude and entitled guests. It wasnt all pixie dust everyday, but 99% of the time I adored my job. We are humans, not animatronics as some people like to think, an we do have bad days. I'm not making excuses but add a bad day to 100 degree heat, a busy park and stressed out guests and sometimes it turns out less than magical. Don't let it ruin your vacation!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: