Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
barbmouse
Thanks for your support!! I have met the nicest people here!! I guess the really grouchy people wouldn't be avid Mickey fans, now would they??
Dole Whip It Good
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 955

Charleston SC

For those of you from around the area or have visited what are your top 3 Must-dos in Charleston? We will be there in August with two teens. Thanks!
__________________
Disney Family of Four!!
barbmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
mmorano88
Earning My Ears
 
mmorano88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston
Posts: 39

I live in Charleston! I moved here from NY and love it!! This city is so beautiful! The number one thing I would say is to come hungry! The food here is unreal! When my family comes to visit, I usually take them to a plantation, maybe a horse carriage tour, and of course the beach! Folly beach is only 15-20 minutes away. You always see dolphins, and they have some really cool stand-up paddle board tours. Also, you have to walk around "South of broad" in Charleston. The old mansions, gardens, and water front park is so beautiful! If you need any restaurant recommendations feel free to ask!
mmorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Pembo
OH-IO
 
Pembo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 7,528

The Lost Dog Café in Folly Beach! Yum!!!

A carriage ride around the city and a boat ride in the harbor.

Word of warning, we went in July a couple years ago. It was HOT!!!
We spent part of trip in Charleston and part on Folly Beach.
__________________
Pembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase
 
Tink888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,794

Just visited for the first time a few months ago. Loved it!

Definitely take a carriage ride and walk around the historic district.

Also enjoyed touring Boone Hall Plantation

Are your kids boys? Or into history? The USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point was pretty interesting to see.

In August, I would also plan for a beach day or look for activities that are indoors. It will be hot and humid.
__________________
Me DH DS17 DS15
Tink888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
The Princess
Smiles everytime a check is written
Would go to Disney in a heartbeat
Likes rootbeer floats at the MK
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, (Penn Hills) PA
Posts: 1,765

We are going in July so this is a great thread!! (actually staying in Kiawah Island)
__________________
The Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 943

Hard to pick a top three because every family has different interests. But a few highlights to consider:

Beach - try Isle of Palms or Sullivans. On Sullivans go to Station 22 or 23 and walk to Poe's for lunch. If you are staying downtown or in Mount Pleasant these are easy to get to. I am not as big on Folly as some on this thread. No decent restaurants and parking is a mess. Folly has some serious erosion issues as well.

Where to stay - Much depends on budget but try to stay downtown. Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant is nice as well. Avoid North Charleston. Not very pretty and the drive downtown can be brutal.

Tours - carriage tour is a must. There are also some excellent walking tours. I love the Fort Sumter tour and the plantations out Highway 61 are nice.

Restaurants - too many good ones to consider. If you have decent standards avoid the tourist traps: Gilligans, AW Shucks, Bubba Gump, Crab Shack etc. It breaks my heart when visitors go to Hyman's Seafood. They have had some serious health issues but people love it. Dirty, greasy and low quality - the Golden Corral of seafood.

Great free things - walk the battery downtown. Walk the Cooper River Bridge. Visit The Citadel - your boys should love this. If you go later in August the Corps will be back.

I say avoid the aquarium. Expensive and dull.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Laura66
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: B. Heights, Ohio
Posts: 1,398

We are leaving for Charleston Saturday. Wild Dunes Resort!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran
 
EeyoreEma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Hard to pick a top three because every family has different interests. But a few highlights to consider:

Beach - try Isle of Palms or Sullivans. On Sullivans go to Station 22 or 23 and walk to Poe's for lunch. If you are staying downtown or in Mount Pleasant these are easy to get to. I am not as big on Folly as some on this thread. No decent restaurants and parking is a mess. Folly has some serious erosion issues as well.

Where to stay - Much depends on budget but try to stay downtown. Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant is nice as well. Avoid North Charleston. Not very pretty and the drive downtown can be brutal.

Tours - carriage tour is a must. There are also some excellent walking tours. I love the Fort Sumter tour and the plantations out Highway 61 are nice.

Restaurants - too many good ones to consider. If you have decent standards avoid the tourist traps: Gilligans, AW Shucks, Bubba Gump, Crab Shack etc. It breaks my heart when visitors go to Hyman's Seafood. They have had some serious health issues but people love it. Dirty, greasy and low quality - the Golden Corral of seafood.

Great free things - walk the battery downtown. Walk the Cooper River Bridge. Visit The Citadel - your boys should love this. If you go later in August the Corps will be back.

I say avoid the aquarium. Expensive and dull.
Spot on - I agree with all of this! Hymans - please don't go there! There are some truly wonderful restaurants in Charleston, and that is just not one of them. Try Magnolia's or SNOB - those are 2 of my favorites, though really there are too many to count!

As for beach - definitely get some beach time in. We are most definitely Isle of Palms people. Not huge on Folly, Sullivan's is ok, but my heart is on IOP!

Charleston is a beautiful place - there is so much to see and learn. I love it there. Teens might enjoy a ghost tour as well - kinda fun!
__________________
Eeyore - "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran
 
EeyoreEma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
We are leaving for Charleston Saturday. Wild Dunes Resort!
Take me with you!!!! PLEASE!!!! This is the first summer in ... gosh, probably over 25, that I am not getting a week at Wild Dunes in - love it there!
__________________
Eeyore - "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Laura66
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: B. Heights, Ohio
Posts: 1,398

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post
Take me with you!!!! PLEASE!!!! This is the first summer in ... gosh, probably over 25, that I am not getting a week at Wild Dunes in - love it there!
You're my new best friend!!!! We've been going every other year for the past 15 years!!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #11
mmorano88
Earning My Ears
 
mmorano88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston
Posts: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreEma View Post

Spot on - I agree with all of this! Hymans - please don't go there! There are some truly wonderful restaurants in Charleston, and that is just not one of them. Try Magnolia's or SNOB - those are 2 of my favorites, though really there are too many to count!

As for beach - definitely get some beach time in. We are most definitely Isle of Palms people. Not huge on Folly, Sullivan's is ok, but my heart is on IOP!

Charleston is a beautiful place - there is so much to see and learn. I love it there. Teens might enjoy a ghost tour as well - kinda fun!
I nanny for the Chef of SNOB! That place is awesome! Halls Chophouse is another awesome spot. Really good braised duck. Rue De Jean has an awesome brunch as well! I'm getting hungry lol
mmorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
mmorano88
Earning My Ears
 
mmorano88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston
Posts: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Hard to pick a top three because every family has different interests. But a few highlights to consider:

Beach - try Isle of Palms or Sullivans. On Sullivans go to Station 22 or 23 and walk to Poe's for lunch. If you are staying downtown or in Mount Pleasant these are easy to get to. I am not as big on Folly as some on this thread. No decent restaurants and parking is a mess. Folly has some serious erosion issues as well.

Where to stay - Much depends on budget but try to stay downtown. Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant is nice as well. Avoid North Charleston. Not very pretty and the drive downtown can be brutal.

Tours - carriage tour is a must. There are also some excellent walking tours. I love the Fort Sumter tour and the plantations out Highway 61 are nice.

Restaurants - too many good ones to consider. If you have decent standards avoid the tourist traps: Gilligans, AW Shucks, Bubba Gump, Crab Shack etc. It breaks my heart when visitors go to Hyman's Seafood. They have had some serious health issues but people love it. Dirty, greasy and low quality - the Golden Corral of seafood.

Great free things - walk the battery downtown. Walk the Cooper River Bridge. Visit The Citadel - your boys should love this. If you go later in August the Corps will be back.

I say avoid the aquarium. Expensive and dull.
Totally agree on the aquarium. So tiny. Would the baseball games be worth a visit? That's something I haven't done yet. Shem Creek is a cool spot as well.
mmorano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???
 
Conservative Hippie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE Polk County, FL
Posts: 6,449

I got to go to Charleston for a weekend back in October. I don't remember the name of the places we ate, but I do remember the she-crab soup!!
__________________
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran
 
EeyoreEma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorano88 View Post
I nanny for the Chef of SNOB! That place is awesome! Halls Chophouse is another awesome spot. Really good braised duck. Rue De Jean has an awesome brunch as well! I'm getting hungry lol
Ok - SOOOO jealous! Awesome job! I was never a nanny for anyone that cool. Nor did I ever get any great food when I nannied! Oh well!!!
__________________
Eeyore - "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #15
EeyoreEma
DIS Veteran
 
EeyoreEma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura66 View Post
You're my new best friend!!!! We've been going every other year for the past 15 years!!
Isn't it one of the most spectacular places in the world?! It's on my top 3 list, along with WDW and my favorite golf course! Where do y'all stay? I love the quiet end of the beach and always try to go that way when given a choice. We actually honeymooned there as well - Port O' Call will always have a most special place in my heart!!!
__________________
Eeyore - "Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them."
EeyoreEma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: