Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #46
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Day 2--Continued

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (297) by orcapotter, on Flickr
I think everyone agrees that Shutters on the Dream/Fantasy is superior to the classics.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (300) by orcapotter, on Flickr
Knowing what's on the Dream, it amazed me how well they duplicated the atmosphere from the classics onto the new ships, even for being made at a different yard.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (305) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (307) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (308) by orcapotter, on Flickr
The ship was in very good shape considering her age. But you could tell the carpet was tired in areas.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (309) by orcapotter, on Flickr
About one of the only events you could claim was "less crowded" than the Dream.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (315) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (316) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (317) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (320) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (322) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (325) by orcapotter, on Flickr
Bathroom in Route 66

I had requested PTTAPTA for our dining rotation and it was granted, along with our 4-top table request. Our 1st two cruises on other lines, we shared a table with other families. It was never a bad experience, but until we happened to have our own table for our 1st DCL cruise, we realized we enjoyed our privacy that much more. So we were back in Parrot Cay for dinner the first night. Our server had a name I could never pronounce; he was nice and relatively quick, but we didn't bond with him nearly as much as with our assistant server, Julie. She was a sweetheart, even if she was slow at times with everything. We shared them with some pretty big families, including 2 twelve-top tables filled with a family reunion. That probably explained why our servers were slow. Our head server, Harry, made himself present every night and helped clear things away. When we stated Dad was diabetic, Harry made sure to give him the next night's menu right after dinner so that the chef could prepare what he wanted with minimum sugar. They were very attentive to him, which is what we've come to love about DCL.

Many reports I read before I left stated that PC was their least favorite menu. To be honest, I don't remember at all what I ate this night. All I know is that it was all "good" but I remember leaving and thinking it was not my favorite.

We opted to skip the "Welcome Aboard" show, since I remembered hearing that it was usually not something to bother with--just a sampler of what we would see later in the cruise. So, Mom opted to go shopping, and I ended up taking Dad to the Buena Vista Theatre to see Oz: The Great and Powerful. Mom saw it in theatres and wasn't impressed; I wanted to see for myself. In the end, I had to agree with her.

After that, it was time to turn in after a very long day. I was on the sofa bed, which I had been dreading. I had a horrible time on the sofa bed on the Dream. I'm used to a pillowtop mattress at home, but my parents are older and therefore, they needed the bed more than me. We had run into our room steward, Gede, earlier in the day and I requested he leave me some extra pillows. To my delight, I was able to counteract the marble slab with some extra padding; it also helped that I didn't have a cold on this cruise. The other bonus? We were so active during the day that when it was time for bed, I was usually asleep before we even turned the lights out. That doesn't generally happen at home.

Up next: Day 2--Day at Sea

Last edited by OrcaPotter; 07-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #47
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

First, your pictures are beautiful! Wonderful details. What kind of camera are you using? (Mine started dying on this trip so I am in need of a new one )

Did you enjoy the trip? So far it seems like not so much, it seems it didn't measure up to the Dream for you.
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #48
hannah's dad
Mouseketeer

Great report - we were on this cruise and its is great to relive it through your perspective.

One comment about receiving information such as a map of the ship, times, etc...our previous dcl cruises have been on the wonder (twice) and magic (twice) and I recall always getting the daily navigator, the trip navigator, and a ship map upon boarding or arrival at the port. For this cruise, we only received the trip navigator and also had to go to guest services to get the navigator for that first day/night. I think this was a deficiency for this particular cruise director and staff as opposed to a difference in the new ships versus old. Our previous experience on the wonder and magic was like your previous experience on the dream.

Recent and Upcoming Trips:
January 2013 - Western Caribbean - DCL, Disney Magic
March 2013 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
June 2013 - Alaska - DCL, Disney Wonder
August 2013 - WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
March 2014 - Disney's Vero Beach Resort/Bahamas - DCL, Disney Magic
April 2015 - WB Panama Canal - DCL, Disney Wonder
hannah's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #49
travellingwithnikki
I've visited every Disney Park in the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post

The sailaway party was probably the only time I was impressed with half the number of passengers as the Dream. We had no problems getting close to the stage after the show started, but the show wasn't nearly as long as the Dream's. They also didn't blow the horn. In fact, it didn't go off until we were about to go under the bridge. We left the party to get close to the front of the ship. On the Dream, we never had to fight for this area. On the Wonder, it was always a madhouse up there. I took video from the time we left the dock until after we cleared the bridge. I will eventually upload video but in the meantime, enjoy more photos from day 1:
Yeah there were a few problems with the start of the sailaway party wasn't there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GrM-UsYNY

I watched the next cruise sail out from Vancouver after we got back and they had at least two horns - once during the party, once when leaving the dock and probably one by Lions Gate Bridge. It was just unlucky for us that it messed up during our party. Oh well, next cruise and all that.

We were on deck seven on this cruise and our cases were already waiting for us when I boarded - very impressive!

Heading back out to sea on the Disney Magic in 2015

My YouTube Channel

My Travel Blog
travellingwithnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #50
OrcaPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Little Pixie View Post
First, your pictures are beautiful! Wonderful details. What kind of camera are you using? (Mine started dying on this trip so I am in need of a new one )

Did you enjoy the trip? So far it seems like not so much, it seems it didn't measure up to the Dream for you.
Thanks! I/we actually used 4 different cameras on this trip (Dad loves cameras and keeps buying new ones but rarely uses them himself; I usually end up with them). Most of the shots are on my Nikon S8200. Others, particularly coming up on Tracy Arm day, were taken with our Canon G15 and Mom's Canon Powershot ELPH100HS. I was impressed with the quality of the photos, especially in low light conditions. I should have used a tripod in many of the cases, though. I do not have a steady hand.

This was my favorite cruise/trip of all time, actually. I know so far it doesn't necessarily seem that way but like I said, I tried really hard not to compare the ships, especially since I knew sort of what to expect as far as the differences. If this had been a Caribbean trip, I would have been a little disappointed in the ship after being on newer ships. I actually loved the Promenade Lounge on the Wonder; I wish the Dream had something like that. I loved the adult pool area better, even if I didn't really use it; though I really enjoy the more comfy chairs and lounges in the Dream's Quiet Cove. I appreciated how much faster it was to get around the Wonder, but I actually got lost on the Wonder a few times, and that never happened on the Dream.

It sounds like other issues were the result of the cruise director management, as others have commented. I definitely got a Navigator when we entered the check-in area of the terminal, but no times guide or ship map unless you went to GS.

I guess since so many seem to put the Classic ships above the newer ships as so much better, as far as layout and crowds, I was let down when that wasn't the case at all. In fact, I felt this sailing was REALLY crowded and I had a lot more issues with crowding on the Wonder than I ever did on sold-out sailings of the Dream.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #51
OrcaPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingwithnikki View Post
Yeah there were a few problems with the start of the sailaway party wasn't there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GrM-UsYNY

I watched the next cruise sail out from Vancouver after we got back and they had at least two horns - once during the party, once when leaving the dock and probably one by Lions Gate Bridge. It was just unlucky for us that it messed up during our party. Oh well, next cruise and all that.

We were on deck seven on this cruise and our cases were already waiting for us when I boarded - very impressive!
Yeah, there were clearly some hiccups during the show. I think the horn was supposed to go off, but didn't. Obviously that was the case. Still! It was the best cruise.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #52
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

The curtains look a little thin- did you have issues with too much light at night?

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #53
OrcaPotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMermaid View Post
The curtains look a little thin- did you have issues with too much light at night?
Not really. There are sheer curtains the room steward would close during the day, then much thicker blackout curtains he would pull closed at night. You just need to make sure to overlap them; there were a few early mornings that the early sunrise was peeking through a gap in the curtains, so I just got up to pull them closer together. If it's really a big concern, if you remember to bring some clothespins, they would definitely keep the curtains closed with no light peeking. I sleep with an eye mask, too, so that helped as well.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #54
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
[CENTER][

We went to pick up Dad from his usual post-boarding nap to get to the muster drill on time. I really wonder what staterooms you have to stay in to get to muster inside the lounges or theatres. We've always had to muster outside on the deck. It did not take long at all, and we waited for the crowd to clear before heading up to deck 9 for some hot cocoa and watch us sail away.
I can at least partially answer this! We had cabin 2024 on our first cruise and our muster station was in the WD Theater. We've since had cabins on decks 7 and 8 and had to muster out on deck.

Gorgeous photos. I'm really enjoying your TR!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #55
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We've been in Deck 7 aft staterooms twice and the muster is AP.

Glad you were able to sleep well on the cruise.

$66 for breakfast
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
zimaaaaah
Mouseketeer

Love the detailed and picture-blessed trip report! Thanks for taking the time to write it. Not going for a while so it helps pass the time.

zimaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #57
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Great start! I'm really hoping for a family cruise to Alaska sometime soon. We couldn't make it happen this year as we left it too late - because one of our sons uses a wheelchair, we need a HA cabin and they are very difficult to get unless you plan way in advance. I'm enjoying all the detail, always gives me more support when I pitch the vacation plan to my hubby.

Thank you!
twinmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #58
Meekins
Earning My Ears

Wonderful trip report - thank you so much for taking the time to write it and include your great pictures. I am a "planner" and we leave in a little less than 3weeks....so nice to be able to read up ahead of time!

Looking forward to the next chapter!
Meekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #59
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

I can see that it would be hard not to compare the classics to the newer ships. We are lucky that we have been on all of them and do find things we love about each. I do remember after being on the Magic and the Wonder that I felt the cabins on the Dream and Fantasy did seem a bit smaller, but not enough to see that much of a difference.

Our last three sailings were on the Dream and the Fantasy, so it will be interesting to be going back to the Wonder. I do appreciate the smaller size of the Wonder.

Thanks again for your report and all the lovely pictures. I love the Disney themed nesting dolls. A set of those are going to have to go in my curio cabinet. I wonder if they were made in China and not Russia?

While they didn't have crab legs for the embarkation lunch, they did have the peel 'n eat shrimp, yes? I hope.

Looking forward to more of your report and your thoughts.

And I totally agree on the $66 for continental breakfast.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #60
Goldeelox9
Our Disney Cruise Line Wedding ~ November 4, 2008

I am loving your trip report. It's fully though to see how much you love the dream, when I feel the same way about the Wonder. I guess it has to do which what ship you sail first on and claim as your own. LOL
*-:¦:-Lisa -:¦:-*Click to read about my wedding :Our Disney Cruise Wedding, Don't miss my B2B on the Dream Trip Report. My newest trip report is Disneyland - DCL, Hawaii, Aulani & Disneyland Still a work in progress!

February 1982 - Off Site; June 1995 - Offsite; February 1998 - AllStar Music; February 2000 - Disney Magic; January 2002 - Carribean Beach Resort & Disney Wonder; January 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Wonder; January 2006 - Pop Century; February 2007 - Pop Century; November 2008 - Disney Wonder Wedding & Animal Kingdom Lodge; November 2009 - All Star Movies, Treehouse Villas & Disney Wonder; December 2009 - All Star Music ; January 2011 - POFQ, BLT & Disney Magic Cruise;
September 2011, AKL & B2B - Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge; January 2012 - Boardwalk; October 2012 - Grand Californian at Disneyland; October 2012 - Disney Wonder to Hawaii; October 2012 - Candy Cane Inn at Disneyland; February 2013 - BLT & Disney Dream & Beach Club Resort; May 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; September 2013 - Polynesian & Fantasy; October 2013 - Art of Animation; December 2013 - Old Key West
Goldeelox9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska 2013, alaska cruise, alaska trip reports, dcl alaska

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: