Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Day 2--Continued

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (297) by orcapotter, on Flickr
I think everyone agrees that Shutters on the Dream/Fantasy is superior to the classics.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (300) by orcapotter, on Flickr
Knowing what's on the Dream, it amazed me how well they duplicated the atmosphere from the classics onto the new ships, even for being made at a different yard.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (305) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (307) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (308) by orcapotter, on Flickr
The ship was in very good shape considering her age. But you could tell the carpet was tired in areas.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (309) by orcapotter, on Flickr
About one of the only events you could claim was "less crowded" than the Dream.

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (315) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (316) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (317) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (320) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (322) by orcapotter, on Flickr

2013 June Alaska Cruise-Kim (325) by orcapotter, on Flickr
Bathroom in Route 66

I had requested PTTAPTA for our dining rotation and it was granted, along with our 4-top table request. Our 1st two cruises on other lines, we shared a table with other families. It was never a bad experience, but until we happened to have our own table for our 1st DCL cruise, we realized we enjoyed our privacy that much more. So we were back in Parrot Cay for dinner the first night. Our server had a name I could never pronounce; he was nice and relatively quick, but we didn't bond with him nearly as much as with our assistant server, Julie. She was a sweetheart, even if she was slow at times with everything. We shared them with some pretty big families, including 2 twelve-top tables filled with a family reunion. That probably explained why our servers were slow. Our head server, Harry, made himself present every night and helped clear things away. When we stated Dad was diabetic, Harry made sure to give him the next night's menu right after dinner so that the chef could prepare what he wanted with minimum sugar. They were very attentive to him, which is what we've come to love about DCL.

Many reports I read before I left stated that PC was their least favorite menu. To be honest, I don't remember at all what I ate this night. All I know is that it was all "good" but I remember leaving and thinking it was not my favorite.

We opted to skip the "Welcome Aboard" show, since I remembered hearing that it was usually not something to bother with--just a sampler of what we would see later in the cruise. So, Mom opted to go shopping, and I ended up taking Dad to the Buena Vista Theatre to see Oz: The Great and Powerful. Mom saw it in theatres and wasn't impressed; I wanted to see for myself. In the end, I had to agree with her.

After that, it was time to turn in after a very long day. I was on the sofa bed, which I had been dreading. I had a horrible time on the sofa bed on the Dream. I'm used to a pillowtop mattress at home, but my parents are older and therefore, they needed the bed more than me. We had run into our room steward, Gede, earlier in the day and I requested he leave me some extra pillows. To my delight, I was able to counteract the marble slab with some extra padding; it also helped that I didn't have a cold on this cruise. The other bonus? We were so active during the day that when it was time for bed, I was usually asleep before we even turned the lights out. That doesn't generally happen at home.

Up next: Day 2--Day at Sea

Last edited by OrcaPotter; 07-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska 2013, alaska cruise, alaska trip reports, dcl alaska

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: