Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
Oh yes. There is definitely the "overwhelmed" thing. That's why I usually tell people to wait until a kid is 7 or 8 or 9 before taking them. But they were ready to do it this year because they know how important Disney is to us and they wanted to experience it with us. This little girl is 6 1/2 and she seems to be more of an introvert than an extrovert. And that's fine. I'm an introvert, too. She was very much into the character of Marie from the Aristocats, and I bought her a stuffed Marie. I also always tell people that Disney parks are generally more fun for older kids and adults than for children. But people who haven't been before have a hard time comprehending that.

They didn't really let her play it that much while we were down there. She had to nap during nap time, but did get to play it some. She was probably playing it less than her normal amount. But she still seemed a slightly obsessed with it, telling me all about how to play it even when we were just walking through the parks. At the airport when we were headed home, she was showing me how to play it. Her dad is very involved with an online interactive video game. So video games is just one of their things. But they have other interests and make sure that she has other interests and activities, too. She's pretty well-rounded. But when I think about the kids whose parents set no limits?
Could it be that she just learned about it and began playing it? My kids are older, but I know that when they first get a or learn about a new game, they do play it a lot and talk about it a lot. They are also well rounded kids with outside activities and interests and can "unplug" when they need to. Minecraft is one of the "in" games right now, for the elementary school set and they will talk about it a lot when they can. DD has a favorite minecraft t shirt. LOL

Right now our DS16 is at a 3 week leadership program with no tv or video games, and only has his smartphone after 10 p.m. He is an introvert and when at home will play Xbox all the time. He RARELY just watches tv and is not interested in televised sports, so video games are his "outlet". I asked him how he thought he'd do without it for so long and he said "fine". I am sure that he has done fine, as the program he is in will not give them a lot of down time, but as an introvert, DS told me last week he was doing fine but "tired of being around people all of the time".

We'll go pick him up tomorrow. I am sure he'll sleep a lot, but being an introvert myself, I know that he'll appreciate a few days at home to "chill" and destress from being around people for 3 straight weeks. Just when he settles in, it will be time for him to start band camp and then school starts. So I am not worried about extended video game time for him.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #17
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

It is just a kid thing....and most adults are the same way anymore with technology. No one can go anywhere without their phone/ipad.

On our first trip last year we instituted no phone/game playing unless we were sitting in a restaurant or waiting in line for a ride (which our ride waits were very short so they never got them out at this point). But like someone else said....it can be a a timeout of sorts to wind down. I know when we finally sat down for dinner, it was preferable to let the then 6 year old to play games and have some quiet time then the alternative which is.......I am bored, hungry, tired etc. It takes their minds off everything else. I don't let my kids play games all day long etc...they have an allotted amount of time but they have to play outside etc.

But talk about kids liking different things.....the first thing my kids want to do when we get to Disney in December.................wait for it.......................fishing at Ft Wilderness????????????????/ What...where did that come from?? But we can fish at home???????? And they said Yeah, but we want to fish at Disney. So fishing it is.

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We had a great time on our recent WDW trip with another couple and their daughter. The child just finished kindergarten and had never been to WDW. Our friends had been when they were kids but not as adults. My husband and I are in our 40s and do not have kids.

So I'm just wondering. Have any of you had the experience where a child would rather just stay in the room and play on the computer than go out into the parks? She was excited and engaged and had fun on the trip (except for Space Mountain and Tower of Terror ), but on numerous occasions every day she brought up a game called Minecraft and talked and talked about it. This was not necessarily when she was tired and needed a nap. A DIS friend that we met up with on the trip told me that he had the same thing happen to him when they went with some family friends a few years ago.

She was not a problem at all on the trip and was very well behaved, but several times in the parks she begged me to get some games on my cell phone for her to play or would indicate that she couldn't wait to get back to the room to play the video game. We took a 2-3 hour mid-day break every day. One afternoon after nap time she said she wanted to play on the iPad and I asked her if she'd rather just stay in the room all by herself to play on the computer, and she said "That would be fun!".

This isn't a couch potato family. They're runners, campers, gardeners, raise chickens, and they don't let the child watch an overabundance of TV. But they in their very early 30s and are techie types. Has a new term been coined (like "couch potato") for being addicted to computer/video games? I guess Disney is on top of this with all the "interactive" stuff they now have, that really doesn't interest me much at all. I just don't "get" video games unless it's from the Ms. Pacman era where you start a game and it's over 5 minutes later.

I admit that on our last day I did tell my husband that I was ready to be home and just watch TV. So I'm not really judging. I'm more just curious and kind of sad that playing video games is more fun to a fully awake child than going to a Disney park is.
I am not a video gamer - I just don't get them.

My DD13 is like that. We just got back from Disney and she was happiest on the 3 evenings she stayed in the room, playing video games or watching a movie on the portable DVD player.

In her case, the problem was it was too hot for her and too crowded. When I explained that if she would get up in the morning and go out with me, it was not that hot or crowded and she could have fun in the parks then.
but nope - she would rather sleep in, go to the parks during the hottest most crowded time and then go back to the room for the evening.

It was hard for me to reconcile with that mentality but I managed. I decided it wasn't worth fighting over.

At least DS17 and my husband would stay in the parks with me sometimes during the evenings.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
It could be that she was just overwhelmed by everything and wanted to retreat to something that brought her comfort and was familiar. If her parents let her use electronics to wind down that could be what she needed. At 5 she probably didn't know how to express herself better.

My now 13 yo DD had a complete meltdown during our 1st WDW visit when she was 3. It was all just too much for her - too many people, too loud, too big etc. All she wanted to do was go back to WL and play on the beach.
I think Poohforyou is on to something here Children that age get overwhelmed and don't know how to effectively express it. She probably wanted to just go and relax for a little while in a way that was familiar and calming for her.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
NancyK
DIS Veteran

The first time we took the kids they were 3 and 5 years old. This was 25 years ago. I remember them telling me they wanted to stay in the room and watch Disney cartoons on TV since we just had basic cable service.
NancyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They didn't really let her play it that much while we were down there. She had to nap during nap time, but did get to play it some. She was probably playing it less than her normal amount. But she still seemed a slightly obsessed with it, telling me all about how to play it even when we were just walking through the parks. At the airport when we were headed home, she was showing me how to play it. Her dad is very involved with an online interactive video game. So video games is just one of their things. But they have other interests and make sure that she has other interests and activities, too. She's pretty well-rounded. But when I think about the kids whose parents set no limits?
Would you be asking this question if she had said "I'd rather go back to the room and read?" or "...and play with legos" or "and do yoga"??? Or is it because it was something technology related taht you are asking about her being obsessed with something? Because growing up I was that kid that wanted to sit and read. When we went on vacation, I had my book with me. I remember being at a zoo and just sitting on a bench and reading while my family was looking at the animals. To me, reading was more fun and relaxing. But nobody ever worried about 'is she addicted to books?' instead it was seen as a positive thing. Trust me, the minecraft thing is a very involved and intricate creative thing....you might be impressed if a child was building a replica dollhouse of the White House, well my 10 year old child has a built a full replica of Hogwarts, the Hogwarts grounds, Diagaon Alley, and Hogsmeade in Minecraft. One is just as creative and valid as the other, but people would worry 'oh that child plays too much minecraft' but I doubt I'd ever hear anyone say 'oh, he spends too much time building a dollhouse version of the Harry Potter Universe". Don't criticize just because it involves technology.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
MomRN
DIS Veteran

Sounds like that little girl and my son would be best friends. He loves all things Minecraft. You haven't truly known insanity until you've heard the song "I can swing my sword" on a 10 hour loop (thanks youtube).

At first I was worried I was a parental failure because he was more interested in Minecraft than sports, education, or...well... anything else in life. Not to say that's all he does is play Minecraft, but he likes it. A lot.

I look on the bright side, maybe his love of Minecraft will encourage him to be a video game programmer, or architect, or maybe it will pass and who knows what the next best thing is.

(btw, if we were in Disney, he would probably talk about Minecraft to strangers. It's what he knows about and is trying to start conversation. He thinks he's being polite, others might think he's weird. Nothing wrong with a little quirky.)
MomRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #23
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyK View Post
The first time we took the kids they were 3 and 5 years old. This was 25 years ago. I remember them telling me they wanted to stay in the room and watch Disney cartoons on TV since we just had basic cable service.
This is exactly the same way our son was-26 years ago when he was 4. He'd go to the parks for a while, but after a few hours, he'd start bugging us to go back to his "village" (that's what he called the Fort Wilderness trailer homes then) and watch Disney cartoons. We also didn't have the Disney Channel at home. I suppose reading the OP's situation, I should be very grateful at least it was something he could only get at Disney, not at home.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Also the game Minecraft has taken over little kids brains. Even my DS12 is addicted to Minecraft and will sit and play it all his wakings hours if I let him.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #25
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Also the game Minecraft has taken over little kids brains. Even my DS12 is addicted to Minecraft and will sit and play it all his wakings hours if I let him.
I want to play I know the point of the read is the opposite of what I am saying but can you get it for the iPad just looking for something to do during my free time summer and winter the two worse times of the year
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
Kat77
Now if I could just remember how to spell and how not to write in run on sentences....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post
Sounds like that little girl and my son would be best friends. He loves all things Minecraft. You haven't truly known insanity until you've heard the song "I can swing my sword" on a 10 hour loop (thanks youtube).

At first I was worried I was a parental failure because he was more interested in Minecraft than sports, education, or...well... anything else in life. Not to say that's all he does is play Minecraft, but he likes it. A lot.

I look on the bright side, maybe his love of Minecraft will encourage him to be a video game programmer, or architect, or maybe it will pass and who knows what the next best thing is.

(btw, if we were in Disney, he would probably talk about Minecraft to strangers. It's what he knows about and is trying to start conversation. He thinks he's being polite, others might think he's weird. Nothing wrong with a little quirky.)
It's a possibility. DS15 joined his high school programming team this year and qualified for State (did not get to compete because he made prior commitments).

Both of my boys host Minecraft servers.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Sounds like this is pretty common afterall! I really didn't figure this was terribly odd in this day and time, but I just didn't realize that kids that young got so obsessed with things besides blankets and stuffed animals. I stated in my original post that I don't have kids (but I have BEEN a child and I know lots of them), so seeing/hearing this level of. . . dedication? obsession? . . . to something technological from such a young child was all new to me. We didn't push her in the parks, and we did do at least 3 hour breaks every afternoon. The 10 kids we went with in 2007 didn't seem to be attached to phones/computers and really enjoyed the parks/resort, but I guess technology has changed a lot since even then. I know that some kids end up liking the swimming pool the most on Disney vacations, but I never thought a six year old would like her own computer from home the most!

I don't remember being that obsessed with anything besides my blanket and pets when I was a kid until I was around 13 and became obsessed with Duran Duran and then David Bowie. I had toys that I particularly enjoyed before age 13, but I didn't take them and don't remember constantly thinking about them on the two Disney trips my family went on when I was a kid. Maybe I talked about my cats to strangers .
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
busyshrew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyK View Post

I second this!! We didn't have ANY form of TV cable (Canadians here) until my DD turned 9. So every vacation she would glue herself to the TV and watch Treehouse... or Disney... it's one of the reasons she loves hotels!
busyshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

Well, I guess I"ll jump in her and be the devil's advocate ~ there is no way I would condone video games while at the parks. I absolutely get the downtime thing, especially with kids this age and the real effects of becoming overwhelmed, but the OP did say the child was getting a nap/relax time every afternoon and that's when the books/computers/television would be used in our family. There is no way I'm spending all that money to have my young child play on their Ipad. When we needed downtime, we spend it chatting quietly, talking about where we've been, what we've done, where we're headed later that day, having a meal together...family focused

Maybe the parks were just too much for this little girl and she needs to wait a few more years so she can enjoy herself more and appreciate the magic without becoming so overwhelmed that her primary focus is on hanging in the room playing Minecraft.
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #30
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGirl View Post
Well, I guess I"ll jump in her and be the devil's advocate ~ there is no way I would condone video games while at the parks. I absolutely get the downtime thing, especially with kids this age and the real effects of becoming overwhelmed, but the OP did say the child was getting a nap/relax time every afternoon and that's when the books/computers/television would be used in our family. There is no way I'm spending all that money to have my young child play on their Ipad. When we needed downtime, we spend it chatting quietly, talking about where we've been, what we've done, where we're headed later that day, having a meal together...family focused

Maybe the parks were just too much for this little girl and she needs to wait a few more years so she can enjoy herself more and appreciate the magic without becoming so overwhelmed that her primary focus is on hanging in the room playing Minecraft.
DH and I are here with our 21 y/o and her bff, who is 20. You would probably think badly of all of us. If we are standing in line, we are all pretty much playing on our phones. Sometimes, they are playing games, sometimes, they are checking the Disney Experience app for wait times somewhere else. Sometimes, we are checking what time our ADR's are. I read so I've even pulled up books or the news on my phone. We talk a lot or tell each other funny or interesting stuff if it's on the Disney app, fb, or internet. No one knows what we are looking at, but even if the girls are playing games, I don't mind especially if it keeps the boredom of 20-30 minute lines controlled. It's not like they aren't talking a lot or people watching, but yes, they are like anyone else, and get bored standing there. They sat down on the floor yesterday somewhere and were playing the game where you try to hit the person's hands that are on top of yours. You would probably not guess that one of them is Miss Arkansas, and she gets very little down time. This trip was for them especially since she hasn't been before. If she wants to play computer games or whatever while waiting in line or waiting on DH and me to come out of a show they didn't want to see, I'm ok with it.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: