Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by superme80 View Post
Our first night in our new home last year I had an encounter. I was putting DS #2 to bed and a spider dropped in my face! DH would not let me live it down until he walked by and saw that it was kind of big. He was still mean about it. We have a cat and she tries but we live in a small town. These suckers are more than our population!
This is hysterical!
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom443 View Post
We are having lots of spiders too, but most in the yard. The other day I was moving my front yard and I saw something jump to the side of my mower. It was the size of a frog and we have those too. Then it ran very fast and stopped. I looked real close and it was a SPIDER, I was chasing after it with the lawn mower. I was so scared that it was going to turn and ran after me. I did run it over, but by that must have been a sight if anyone drove by watch me scream and run all over the yard with the mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
Nothing like being in the bathroom doing your business and one comes bungying out the bathroom vent right above you.

O M G, I would die. I would seriously put the house up for sale, or burn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn Merteuil View Post
I cannot offer any advice, but I can offer my sympathy. I hate spiders!!!

A couple years ago I found a black widow in our house. Thank goodness I haven't seen any more *knock on wood*. I discovered it in the bathroom, I ran and grabbed some bug spray and a fly swat. I sprayed it then hit it enough to be good and dead. I put it in a ziplock bag and showed it to a biology teacher. The teacher was like yep, you got yourself a black widow. I was about ready to move over that. Also, one time there was a dead black widow stuck to some mail.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
tevisco4
Mouseketeer

We had spiders real bad in our last home. My husband's grandmother use to put bars of soap along the baseboards of the basement, and she claimed to have never seen any bugs. So I went out and bought bars of soap from the dollar store, cut them in half and put one in each corner of the bedrooms. I rarely saw spiders in the bedrooms. Worth a shot! I HATE spiders and I will be doing it in my new home this weekend. Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
hlg22
Mouseketeer

Gah - I hate spiders. I know they're beneficial, etc., etc. but they just creep. me. out. I have a cat, but he's scared of them too. I have a pest control company that comes quarterly and sprays inside and around the perimter of the house. I hate to use all the chemicals, but that has REALLY improved the number of bugs I find in the house - when I first moved in, there was an infestation of "spider crickets" in the basement - they are like large spider/cricket hybrids that jump AT you when you try to kill them.

I have also noticed that there seem to be more spiders than usual out in the yard this year.
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

We have grass spiders. One was in the corner of my kitchen a couple of days ago, near the laundry closet. I screamed for DH to come. He took his sweet time until my voice changed to panic (which happened whenever the spider moved a leg). He came down and picked it up with a dish towel, which it then immediately jumped out of. I screamed and nearly climbed into the dryer. Finally he scooped it up and took it to the toilet.

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Domo
DIS Veteran

I hear that spiders hate pine cones?

We're lucky here, hardly any spiders at all. And certainly nothing huge or poisonous.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
ms.yt
DIS Veteran

Spiders have always freaked me out big time. My MIL was bitten by a brown recluse last week while she was driving down the road. She's been in the hospital since Friday.

1973 - Off-site with family; 1988 - Off-site with sister; 1992 - Off-site with sister; 2003 - ASMu with son; 2004 - Off-site in Celebration with son; 2005 - Pop with son;
2008 - WL with husband and sons; 2009 - CSR with husband and sons; 2011 - Off-site with husband, kids and in-laws; 2012 - Off-site for a conference; 2014 - Off-site with husband, kids and in-laws.
ms.yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
daannzzz
OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled egg salad
Enjoys the magic of Disneyland in December
: I am becoming a bit more adventurous in my dining habits

We are eventually moving to Florida and I am worried about these as I am not a fan of spiders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z3t72DSoYk

Or this infestation in Jamaica. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yas53AMcTXQ
Is this what you are all going through?
daannzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Note to self: NEVER go to Jamaica!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
Anri
Mouseketeer

I HATE SPIDERS. The other day I was skyping with a friend who lives out in Washington when a (what I consider to be huge) spider came spalunking down into my lap. I flipped the freak out; threw my laptop across the room where it landed just in the perfect position for my friend to see me shrieking like a mad woman, jumping up and down, and throwing random objects at it. If it hadn't been so god awfully terrifying it might have been humorous...or tragic.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

If you kill off all the spiders and other beneficial creatures by massive use of pesticides, that just lets the invasive/damaging insects multiply and spread.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
chellt
Mouseketeer

I can't even google any remedies like I do for EVERYTHING else, cause all the pics of spiders would freak me the heck out!!!

Me (35) DN (8) DN (5)

This thing that we do, then, is not only an act of law for equality in education, but an act of LOVE for those extraordinary children wishing only to live ordinary lives.
chellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #27
hlg22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
Note to self: NEVER go to Jamaica!
I have pretty much written off Australia for the same reason - a friend of mine married an Australian, and on her first trip there with him a ginormous huntsman spider crawled out of one of the vents in the car while they were driving. It crawled right back in and couldn't be found so she made her husband stop and buy bug spray so she could sit and aim it at the vent for the rest of the drive. Honestly, if that were me, I probably would have launched myself out of the moving car. She also said that the spiders there are big enough that they sometimes set off the motion detector on her in laws' security system.
hlg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #28
My2Qtz0205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlg22 View Post

I have pretty much written off Australia for the same reason - a friend of mine married an Australian, and on her first trip there with him a ginormous huntsman spider crawled out of one of the vents in the car while they were driving. It crawled right back in and couldn't be found so she made her husband stop and buy bug spray so she could sit and aim it at the vent for the rest of the drive. Honestly, if that were me, I probably would have launched myself out of the moving car. She also said that the spiders there are big enough that they sometimes set off the motion detector on her in laws' security system.
My in-laws lived in Australia for a few years. My MIL tells a story of looking up in a barn's rafters and seeing a spider with its legs WRAPPED AROUND the beams! :Shudder:

My December 2012 Trip Report via my Scrapbook: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post49171745
My Almost a Grand Gathering, 10th Anniversary Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post34138322
My2Qtz0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
leebee
DIS Veteran

Two suggestions: RAID, and move north. There's a reason I enjoy our cold winters so much, and it has NOTHING to do with skiing and ice skating! A spider the size of a nickel (legs included) is considered "big" in my neck of the woods. We occasionally see one slightly bigger, but never inside the house! A spider the size of a quarter would totally freak me out !
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #30
jessc79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
Two suggestions: RAID, and move north. There's a reason I enjoy our cold winters so much, and it has NOTHING to do with skiing and ice skating! A spider the size of a nickel (legs included) is considered "big" in my neck of the woods. We occasionally see one slightly bigger, but never inside the house! A spider the size of a quarter would totally freak me out !
This. Ew.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: