Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
Oh yes. There is definitely the "overwhelmed" thing. That's why I usually tell people to wait until a kid is 7 or 8 or 9 before taking them. But they were ready to do it this year because they know how important Disney is to us and they wanted to experience it with us. This little girl is 6 1/2 and she seems to be more of an introvert than an extrovert. And that's fine. I'm an introvert, too. She was very much into the character of Marie from the Aristocats, and I bought her a stuffed Marie. I also always tell people that Disney parks are generally more fun for older kids and adults than for children. But people who haven't been before have a hard time comprehending that.

They didn't really let her play it that much while we were down there. She had to nap during nap time, but did get to play it some. She was probably playing it less than her normal amount. But she still seemed a slightly obsessed with it, telling me all about how to play it even when we were just walking through the parks. At the airport when we were headed home, she was showing me how to play it. Her dad is very involved with an online interactive video game. So video games is just one of their things. But they have other interests and make sure that she has other interests and activities, too. She's pretty well-rounded. But when I think about the kids whose parents set no limits?
Could it be that she just learned about it and began playing it? My kids are older, but I know that when they first get a or learn about a new game, they do play it a lot and talk about it a lot. They are also well rounded kids with outside activities and interests and can "unplug" when they need to. Minecraft is one of the "in" games right now, for the elementary school set and they will talk about it a lot when they can. DD has a favorite minecraft t shirt. LOL

Right now our DS16 is at a 3 week leadership program with no tv or video games, and only has his smartphone after 10 p.m. He is an introvert and when at home will play Xbox all the time. He RARELY just watches tv and is not interested in televised sports, so video games are his "outlet". I asked him how he thought he'd do without it for so long and he said "fine". I am sure that he has done fine, as the program he is in will not give them a lot of down time, but as an introvert, DS told me last week he was doing fine but "tired of being around people all of the time".

We'll go pick him up tomorrow. I am sure he'll sleep a lot, but being an introvert myself, I know that he'll appreciate a few days at home to "chill" and destress from being around people for 3 straight weeks. Just when he settles in, it will be time for him to start band camp and then school starts. So I am not worried about extended video game time for him.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: