Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #106
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I didn't get anything really odd or weird. But my sister-in-law and brother got a wooden box, with some sort of straw in it, and these strange objects that they, nor anyone opening gifts with them, could identify. After some google searching (because she needed to thank the person for what they were) she found out they were bird call whistles.

Not a horrible gift I guess, but not something they would ever use. Made me laugh anyway!

I think the best part of the story is when she retells it. It's only if you ask her the weirdest thing she got, and she tries SO hard to tell it in a thankful tone. She really is the sweetest girl. However I'm not and whenever she gets to the "And then I found out they were bird whistles! That's kind of neat!" I roll on the floor laughing lol.

Last edited by pigletto; 06-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #107
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofinoff View Post
I think she meant that she's never used them. I could be wrong though!
No, I have never used them! Although, come to think of it, DH's cousin's wife just handed the spoons to me, just wrapped in some tissue paper and I had to wonder about that--did she break up a set of these things? Or had she already used them? (This was the woman who had everyone over to her house for a buffet lunch, and when I looked up at the light fixture over the table where she had the buffet laid out, I saw at least one dead spider--so her housekeeping is sketchy at best).

Just can't picture little camel-topped gilded spoons resting demurely on my coffee cup saucers! Perhaps part of my aversion stems from the fact that I encountered real camels, up close and personal, during a trip to the Middle East, eons ago!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #108
jen1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericangirlinFrance View Post
Would you like another one? I have 3 left over that I can't return

I'd happily trade you one of your waffle irons for one of the four crock pots we received!
jen1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #109
MeeskaMomma
DIS Veteran

Not the worst but the most surprising. For my shower the hostess had everyone who was married right down advice and what they love abut being married. I read through them all afterward with my husband. When I got to my 85 year old grandmother's note, I was touched by how sweet it was, then I got to the end, she had been talking about all the great things about marriage and chose to end it with, "and sex...Yes!". We almost fell over laughing.
MeeskaMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #110
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

A fire extinguisher and a flannel stadium blanket.

Talked about how strange it was forever, until one day someone said, "Maybe it was meant to put out the 'fire' that would happen under the blanket".

Still a strange and dumb gift regardless of what the meaning was supposed to be.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #111
xxliz28xx
Jersey girl by birth, Floridian by heart

A $13 spatula...

Walt Disney World Food Photos
Walt Disney World Food Photos Part 2
Walt Disney World Food Photos Part 3
xxliz28xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #112
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

We got very few wedding gifts that weren't $. (we kinda had a shot-gun wedding - I was admitted to the hospital to have my baby the day after my wedding - literally!)

Anyway, we had a large poster frame and a black leather scrapbook. No card accompanied these gifts that were wrapped in the same paper. With what we were able to piece together, we figure they came from DH's former room-mate. Backstory... DH lived with this man, and shortly after we told him I was pregnant, he approached me and said "He can't take care of you the way I can. I'm willing to take care of you and whoever might come along *wink, wink* I have a great job, I own a house (that DH was living in with him, and paying him rent)" I told DH what happened and we decided that he needed to move out ASAP. So, we got an apt, and as we were moving DH's stuff out, room-mate was yelling "You won't last two years!"

We think the gift was his "apology" that he sent with mutual friends. Before I was pregnant, he was a really nice, fun guy to be around. But what a creepy guy he became! I really felt that DH might be in danger there, as I think that guy was mentally unstable, having had been through a very rough break-up himself the year before.

Oh, and we'll be celebrating 10 years married later this year. 2 years, my ****. I really wanted to call him on our 3rd anniversary....

Jan 2010 - Wilderness Lodge. OUR PERFECT TRIP!
Feb 2012 - Wilderness Lodge. Terrific escape from the SuperBowl!

*missing having a ticker... I wanna go back!

Feb 2014 - According to DH, we're going back "next winter," whatever that means. Not specific enough for a ticker... yet!
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #113
mlynn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlisa1978 View Post
The check that bounced.
I had 3 of these lovely gifts at my wedding. the best was a few years later one got married and was so mad that she had bounced checks at hers. I laughed and said yup had few at mine too. She shut after that.(I gave her cash)
mlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #114
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post

no words, just paper plates, used spices, a bobble head, a MIL ~worst gift ever! I'm loving this thread

I was going to just post a quesadilla maker. LOL
Hey, I registered for a Quesadilla maker... lol! and we enjoyed it until it died and we replaced it about 2 years ago :0) But, we did get about 3 coffee makers 1- had clearly been used, the other was re -gifted (they forgot to remove the gift receipt that had expired and was originally for "Rob & Angie" ) and the last one was an opened box one that was missing a couple of parts! I mean if you're not going to get something off of the registry just get a gift card.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #115
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
I've never comprehended that guests are supposed to pay for their dinner when they are invited to a wedding.
.....no, absolutely; I totally agree with you. But, whenever we've been invited to a wedding, two things we take into account when giving a money gift is 1) how well and how long we've known the person[s] getting married (or if they are a close relative) and 2) an idea of what it's costing the couple....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath..."
kimmar067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #116
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

After complaining about everything in the wedding, and changing her dress at the last minute to match the color of my mom's, my MIL gave us books about keeping the sanctity of Jesus in our marriage and how to convert a non-believer to her (and supposedly my new husband's) religion.

Past Trips: Nov-Dec 20130; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #117
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Apparently a basket of food is a really bad idea...

http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/06/...e_receipt.html
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #118
Funfire240
DIS Veteran

I don't know if many would clasify this as bad (DH sure doesn't) but the groomsmen went in and bought us (Ok him) a cross bow for hunting. Not exactly what I was looking forward too...although it does provide me with some peace and quiet when he goes hunting so maybe it's not so bad afterall

Just returned from a fabulous trip, no planned trips at this time.
Funfire240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #119
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Not really bad, but unusual for wedding gifts. One of my friends gave us an atlas. Yep, maps of all the countries in the world.
One of DH's friends was apparently miffed that too many gifts were for the bride, so he gave "us" a big old tool box.
Definitely different!
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #120
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
Not really bad, but unusual for wedding gifts. One of my friends gave us an atlas. Yep, maps of all the countries in the world.
One of DH's friends was apparently miffed that too many gifts were for the bride, so he gave "us" a big old tool box.
Definitely different!

My boss gave us a camping tent. She also thought that wedding gifts were too "girl" centered and she knew I disliked camping and husband adores it and camped all of the time. One of the better gifts we got, actually.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: