Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
What do you think of people in the United States who speak languages other than English in public places?

My family and I went out shopping the other day and we were speaking in Arabic as we were looking at the clothes. Now, we are Americans and speak fluent English (I was born and raised here) but we speak Arabic at home just as much as English since we are of Arab descent. This lady starts huffing and puffing that "in AMERICA, people should speak ENGLISH," etc. I told her that I can speak whatever language I want in the U.S. and she just walked away muttering to herself.

What do you think? Is it rude to speak languages other than English in public?
I only think it's rude if you're with a group of people and not all can understand you.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
BGK
Mouseketeer

To borrow a line from the sage Jefferson, "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
From your other posts, clearly you perceive yourself to be all about what you perceive to be "the free markets," so you cannot think that private industry should be regulated in that regard, and since the USA has no official, much less legal, language there is clearly no legal justification to have only English on governmental announcements, so what is your objection to having announcements in other languages?
Wilfull cognitive dissonance may be the true perpetual motion machine. Would that we could connect a generator to it...we could air-condition all of Florida.
BGK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Speak whatever language you want. What's rude is listening to someone else's conversation and then commenting on it!
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
If you are the citizen of a country and chose not to speak the dominant language of that country out in public, people are going to assume you are talking about them and/or trying to hide something.

Is that fair? No. But that's the perception.
Really? I hear foreign languages every day and that has literally never crossed my mind.

I love hearing foreign languages and I'm thinking of learning another (probably German or Italian.) Bring it on.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I only think it's rude if people are purposely being excluded from the conversation (similar to whispering mentioned above) otherwise I don't care what language other people speak. I think it's far more rude for that woman to listen to your conversations and comment on them.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
To me that is no different than whispering something to one person in the group and I definitely think that is rude.
Eh, I don't find that rude either. Sometimes you have something you want to say privately to someone and doing it quickly and quietly via a whisper instead of both leaving, saying what you need to say, and returning is just easier. The later is just as obvious anyway and sometimes you either can't or don't want to wait until later to say whatever it is.

I really don't know why people care so much about that kind of thing. I couldn't possibly care less if someone whispered something to someone in front of me or broke off into some other language.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Really? I hear foreign languages every day and that has literally never crossed my mind.
Oh, I've heard that many times (reminds me of a Seinfeld issue). I think it would seem more suspicious were the conversation to begin in English and then switch languages at some point.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

If I got that bent out of shape every time someone spoke a language other than English here (Texas), I'd be angry almost every time I left my house! Spanish is spoken everywhere down here. You will hear English most often, but it is not at all uncommon to hear people speaking Spanish to each other while they are out shopping, getting lunch, etc. Personally, I would like for the USA to adopt a national language, but even if that were to happen, I would still have no problem with people speaking their native tongue to each other while out in public. It in no way, shape, or form has any effect on me so why would I care? Not sure what this woman's problem was. Clearly, though, she is having a bad day... and might want to stay away from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or southern California if hearing a foreign language is that offensive to her.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #24
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
To borrow a line from the sage Jefferson, "it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Wilfull cognitive dissonance may be the true perpetual motion machine. Would that we could connect a generator to it...we could air-condition all of Florida.
I like you. We get each other...

To quote my hero, Mahatma Ghandi, "Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
BGK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
Clearly, though, she is having a bad day... and might want to stay away from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, or southern California if hearing a foreign language is that offensive to her.
Florida, also too. In fact, there are so many Hispanic nationalities here that one can make no generalizations based on appearance, and speaking-Spanish-to-mock-the-gringos, at least from my own functional Spanish, is pretty well non-existent. Seeing someone blue-eyed, light-haired, and fair enough to make me look swarthy by comparison, speaking full-tilt Carribbean Spanish stopped surprising me years ago.
BGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I'm truly jealous. I wish I could speak more than one language.
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney View Post
What do you think of people in the United States who speak languages other than English in public places?

My family and I went out shopping the other day and we were speaking in Arabic as we were looking at the clothes. Now, we are Americans and speak fluent English (I was born and raised here) but we speak Arabic at home just as much as English since we are of Arab descent. This lady starts huffing and puffing that "in AMERICA, people should speak ENGLISH," etc. I told her that I can speak whatever language I want in the U.S. and she just walked away muttering to herself.

What do you think? Is it rude to speak languages other than English in public?
LOL! You probably wouldn't want to move to this area of the United States! In the nearby city where I used to work, it was uncommon for people to speak English in public. And when I would go to a nearby cafe to get lunch, the menu was in Spanish, and both the management and waitstaff and spoke virtually no English. There were times that, with our limited communication abilities, I didn't know for sure what I was getting to eat. And yes, this is in the United States.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #28
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

If I think anything it's probabaly, "Cool, tourists!"

Quote:
If you are the citizen of a country and chose not to speak the dominant language of that country out in public, people are going to assume you are talking about them and/or trying to hide something.

I never assume a random person I run into in public is a citizen of my country.

Now, I suppose if I know the person, and I know they're a citizen and I know they speak English, then I probably would assume that they were saying something nasty about me if they specifically chose to speak in a language I don't speak around me.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Quote:

That's one of the oddest things Ive ever heard. Are people that narcissistic that they walk around people are talking about them when they are clearly not? Interesting.. Living in Florida, among tourist and immigrants, that would be one paranoid existence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
Florida, also too. In fact, there are so many Hispanic nationalities here that one can make no generalizations based on appearance, and speaking-Spanish-to-mock-the-gringos, at least from my own functional Spanish, is pretty well non-existent. Seeing someone blue-eyed, light-haired, and fair enough to make me look swarthy by comparison, speaking full-tilt Carribbean Spanish stopped surprising me years ago.
I'm born and bred in South Florida with Cuban parents and speak Spanish fluently. In fact, I didnt speak English until I went to school. People forget that Spaniards have deep influence in hispanic cultures. Blond hair, blue eyed hispanics are plentiful.

When Im out and about with you might catch me speaking Spanish. Heck, when I get mad, spanish seems to be more appropriate LOL.

I love hearing other languages, even Spanish has different accents and dialects. I love hearing a foreign language and trying to figure out what and where it comes from.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Dang, I guess I should never go to France, Italy, Germany,.....since I don't speak those languages.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: