Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

New Movie being filmed for Soarin???

Lots of chatter about this. I suspect the use of the new IMAX Digital 4K 3D projectors at Soarin if the do this at EPCOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orreed View Post
I got this from an article on MiceChat. I know the first flim is noglastic for our generation, but I am excited for a new movie. I hope they keep the soundtrack, and lengthen the ride. What are you guys thoughts? Full Article~http://micechat.com/31294-miceage-mickeys-boomtown/

"The first project is a remake of Soarin’ Over California for DCA, with the original film switching to a digital HD format and taking off for entirely new destinations. With a current working title of “Soarin’ The World”, the new footage will be filmed over some of the planet’s most famous icons and was originally set to debut first in Shanghai Disneyland’s Adventureland section in late 2015, with a clone going in to Tokyo DisneySea’s Port Discovery section. But now the plan is to take the basic world-tour concept to the other existing Soarin’ attractions in Anaheim and Orlando. And for Anaheim, they’d film a new ending segment that would have the theater end their world tour with a new HD flyover of both DCA and Disneyland.

The date for this new Soarin’ filming has already been chosen, in order to secure the proper permits and assure that the Resort looks its best from the air. On the evening of March 12th, 2014, Imagineering will fly an HD Omnimax camera in a helicopter over and around the Resort area for several hours capturing the best nighttime shots for the attraction’s new finale’. The re-launched Soarin’ The World would then debut in 2015 as part of the Anaheim properties 60th Anniversary. The new ride film would also allow WDI to go in and re-theme the Soarin’ building and surrounding Condor Flats section of DCA to the same vintage timeframe that nearby Grizzly River Run received last year. While the new film would also be installed for the Epcot version, the contemporary airport theme of the Florida version would remain the same."

Last edited by k5jmh; 06-13-2013 at 01:25 PM.
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
woodleygrrl
As god as my witness, I will never ever be swindled by these thieves at Disney bakeries again.

if this is true, it would be the best ever. Every time we go on Sorin' we say wouldn't it be great if they did a movie of all the national parks, or of monuments in Washington DC, or capitols of the world?

Hope this happens.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
SpaceMtMan
Mouseketeer

That would be very cool. Crossing my fingers
2007- Offsite
2008- Carribean Resort
2012- Art of Animation
2013- Art of Animation/Contemporary Resort

Cruises
Wonder- 2008, 2011
Fantasy- 2013

DL Trips
UPCOMING
SpaceMtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
alice99
DIS Veteran

I was in Disneyland in 2009 with my son and I took a guided walking tour of the California Adventure Park.

The guide told us that Disneyland and Disney World were very competitive with each other and DL preferred to keep Soarin' Over California as a DL exclusive. It stayed that way for a few years ..... but then the Theater was built inside The LAND Pavilion.... with every intention of making a different film to be shown in Epcot..... anyhow, people loved Soarin' so much, just as it is, that they left it alone.
The tour guide told us the new film was supposed to be more of an ecological type film about planet Earth.... more in line with the theme of The Land Pavilion.
But, when the ride had so much success "as is" that they just left it alone, it saved them $$ and people were thrilled anyway.
I'd LOVE to see a different film in this theater!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I love Soarin' and would actually be happy if they just cleaned up the current film, get the floaties out of there and freshen it up, it is showing it's age. But if they do decide to do a new film, I hope it's a realistic theme, flying over landscapes and bodies of water, ect....I think it would take away from the attraction to be parasailing in space or whatever.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Soarin' is my favorite ride (six times last trip). I don't know how I would feel. I listen to the soundtrack and I can see it in my head. But a new, digital film would be wonderful. Not sure if they should keep the same music. The current one is just so linked to the scenes.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The timing would be right. The new projectors that are supposed to be capable of the right resolution will be available at the end of the year. I figured Disney would allow them some "burn in time" to see if it works out.

One complication is that Soarin' uses Omnimax screens, so how well the dual projectors might work with that I'm not sure yet.

What I'm a bit surprised at is no mention of making it a variable experience, ala Star Tours. Then again, they don't seem to need to drive re-riding with it yet...

Edit: Realized I mentioned dual projectors, but no explanation - the plan is to use two specially designed 4K laser projectors in tandem in order to up the resolution enough to be at least close to the effective resolution of the 70MM film, which is really somewhere on the order of 12k (with HD video being less than 2k)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 06-17-2013 at 09:17 AM.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Yellosno
DIS Veteran

Ive wanted to see a new video there for a few years now. Still love the ride I just would love to see different areas. Ive always wondered why they didnt do a soarin over Florida.
August 2005 Beach Club & Polynesian
January 2008 Wilderness Lodge
August 2011: Port Orleans French Quarter
July 2012: Saratoga Springs & Pop Century
August 2013: Boardwalk & Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yellosno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Fingers crossed
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

This would be good. I'm going to shock everyone by saying I don't like Soarin'. I find it very boring
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: