Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
mirage0306
DIS Veteran
 
mirage0306's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 1,245

We have stayed at WL (non club) and LOVED IT, CBR (did not love it), BWI CL (liked it okay) and AKL (non club) and the *only* reason we are staying CL again at AKL this year are because you can do the Sunrise Safari. Oh, and because it was already $$$$$ to book AKL anyway because they weren't included in the summer promo, upgrading from Arusha Savanna view to CL was hardly anything. We knew the kids would love it (they loved the lounge so much at BWI, and we are keeping the CL part of the trip a surprise--they think we'll never do CL again). But if it weren't for the Sunrise Safari, really, we would just do regular old AKL and be fine with it.

But, I think we've had different experiences than you, as in we did not fall in love with CL and don't feel the need to stay that way every time (we are also staying at POP this next trip). I honestly think some of it may have been WL. I am not kidding...that resort is magical and I don't know a single person who has stayed there and not loved it. Do you think it was the CL that you loved so much? Or was it WL? (I don't know that there's a right answer...just asking!)

For our next next trip (DH is ready to throttle me) we will almost definitely be at the Poly. (I am hoping we love POP so we can do another split.) The Poly is the only other deluxe that we both really want to try. But unless our AKL CL experience is totally different from our BWI CL one, I can't see us shelling out the money for it again.

Just some thoughts!
__________________
Me, DH, DS (11) and DS (8)


WDW: Wilderness Lodge 2011 | Caribbean Beach, Boardwalk Inn CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 | Polynesian CL, Animal Kingdom Lodge CL 2013

DLR: Candy Cane Inn 2013 | Candy Cane Inn, Grand Californian 2014
mirage0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery
 
mefordis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In a good place.
Posts: 4,785

Yes, plus it seems really competitive for food. I even read a TR where someone got scolded by another guest for taking two eggrollls instead of one! What!?

I mean, $150 a night + tax can buy a lot of great things! I'm not talking just gummy bears and goldfish either. No competition for them, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
We gave up CL long ago... Just isn't worth the high cost , and poor discounts, for nuts and crackers anymore.... Plus having to be at the resort to enjoy it.... Parks are more fun to waste time in... Not a crowded, filthy overrun CL lounge...

We take that saving, up grade to a deluxe resort, go a grocery / alcohol stop and load up our room with better offerings served anytime we want... We prefer to hang at the pool when we're at the resort... We make picnic lunches, adult beverages in our cooler... Resort room is for sleeping....

CL is a lot of extra money, for what ? Rooms are the same as regular, I can still get turn down service if I want... Other than the token food offerings, I eat at the food court better for breakfast and dinner cheaper paying OOP than CL money cost...

Nope, sorry... CL has gone so far down hill from its past glory, pocket the savings and go regular... No more personalize service !
__________________



Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #33
Dis703
DIS Veteran
 
Dis703's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 872

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Yes, plus it seems really competitive for food. I even read a TR where someone got scolded by another guest for taking two eggrollls instead of one! What!?

I mean, $150 a night + tax can buy a lot of great things! I'm not talking just gummy bears and goldfish either. No competition for them, either.
We paid less than $80 more a night for CL from what we were paying for a standard and for 6 people, 3 of them adults, with breakfast, snacks, dessert and alcohol it was well worth it.

We also did not experience being scolded by anyone for food, lol. There was plenty to go around. The CMs even gave us extra of things like the special GF cookies and beer to keep in our room. I can't even imagine what my reaction would be if a guest scolded me about how much food I out on my plate. The nerve of some people.
__________________
Me DH DS6 DS3 DS3

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
lbv7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio View Post
Parks are more fun to waste time in... Not a crowded, filthy overrun CL lounge...
You are kidding, I hope. Crowded, filthy, overrun. Come on! Because if you aren't, this is an over exaggeration of a statement that is nowhere near the truth. I also agree with a previous poster - my idea of a vacation is not to buy food to bring back to my room to eat. Or are the parks too crowded for you to enjoy eating there?
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #35
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
I have no advice for you on this one as we've only stayed moderate and deluxe - non CL. However, I just wanted to say thank you for giving me a reason to NOT try CL anywhere ! I've always been afraid that if we went CL, we'd not want to go NON-CL ever again! I think we'll just stick with booking our "regular" Deluxes and occasional mods!
Very wise choice!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
My question to you OP is why aren't you a DVC'er

We have never stayed CL, just never really wanted to or saw the need for it.

We usually combine our DVC stays with other resorts and personally I would much rather have the CR MK view than the CL. BTW, that view blows away the one from the WL

If your family are big breakfast eaters, then use this opportunity to go to some character breakfasts or eat at a different CS restaurants every morning. Or how about breakfast at the parks? As for snacks, you can get loads of them at DtD or at your resorts store and make your own little lounge in your room!
We have considered DVC, however, we get really great rates with the military discount so we have said that if that ever gets discontinued, we would consider DVC again.

Truth be told, I don't love the decor at the villas versus the resort, so that's a stumbling block too with DVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISzy View Post
Do you know what would be cool and add value to CL? Club lounges in the parks for CL guests. Your gold KTTW card would give you entrance to a lounge with cold drinks and light snacks in each park Am I right?!
Now that would be a perk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo2u View Post
Candace, I know what you mean! I've never not had club level.....and truly have become dependent on it, I just love it! I think I know you, and I think you might really miss club level. I know your family fell in love with the whole WL CL experience -- why mess with a good thing??? why not go back to what you know and love?? I too, am having a hard time deciding -- Oct / Nov 2014, or Jan/Feb 2015 (most likely the month I choose as it's cheaper than Oct/Nov) -- but I am trying to decide between Kidani 1 BDRM and NO club level!! (BOOOO) and BWI Deluxe room, with Club level. with 2 teens, I am thinking club level will be the definite way to go/ plus location of BWI - can't be beat! for some reason, I'd feel better with the teens going off on their own at BWI than bussing it everywhere at KIDANI/AKL . It's tough to give up Club Level when you've come to love it!!!
I personaly don't think I could.
I'd say stay with what you love and do Club Level. or try POLY CL, you can get some good prices there, and I think you'd like it.
I understand the whole dilema though -- once bitten by the club level bug, it's hard to resist!!!!
Yeah, you know me. And we would totally go back to WL CL except that would interfere with our mission to stay at every Disney resort.

I do think I would miss it. I know that DH would say he was fine not booking CL but then repeatedly ask if I have upgraded our reservation yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage0306 View Post
We have stayed at WL (non club) and LOVED IT, CBR (did not love it), BWI CL (liked it okay) and AKL (non club) and the *only* reason we are staying CL again at AKL this year are because you can do the Sunrise Safari. Oh, and because it was already $$$$$ to book AKL anyway because they weren't included in the summer promo, upgrading from Arusha Savanna view to CL was hardly anything. We knew the kids would love it (they loved the lounge so much at BWI, and we are keeping the CL part of the trip a surprise--they think we'll never do CL again). But if it weren't for the Sunrise Safari, really, we would just do regular old AKL and be fine with it.

But, I think we've had different experiences than you, as in we did not fall in love with CL and don't feel the need to stay that way every time (we are also staying at POP this next trip). I honestly think some of it may have been WL. I am not kidding...that resort is magical and I don't know a single person who has stayed there and not loved it. Do you think it was the CL that you loved so much? Or was it WL? (I don't know that there's a right answer...just asking!)

For our next next trip (DH is ready to throttle me) we will almost definitely be at the Poly. (I am hoping we love POP so we can do another split.) The Poly is the only other deluxe that we both really want to try. But unless our AKL CL experience is totally different from our BWI CL one, I can't see us shelling out the money for it again.

Just some thoughts!
You could be onto something, because the WL is absolutely magical all around. we did love their CL though. They had real food in the evenings....chili, meatballs, chicken (wings and on a stick), scallops wrapped in bacon, etc...

We did not fall in love with YC CL. The CMs were friendly but not as friendly. The food items were all fried puff pastry something or others...

From what I've seen, I think I would like Poly CL's food items but am worried about looking at construction...
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #36
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran
 
pepe of ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border
Posts: 6,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7 View Post
You are kidding, I hope. Crowded, filthy, overrun. Come on! Because if you aren't, this is an over exaggeration of a statement that is nowhere near the truth. I also agree with a previous poster - my idea of a vacation is not to buy food to bring back to my room to eat. Or are the parks too crowded for you to enjoy eating there?
You do and see what you want... For our perspective, they were scattered with food on the floor , hence filthy, most items not replaced , overrun, and crowded to a point of no seating left.... Exaggeration, I don't think so...and if making a sandwich is beyond your princess attitude, sorry... Restaurant food just is not that good in WDW for everyday but then again, you probably haul food into the parks...

No, we're carefree and spend wisely, CL. is not wisely... I'll bow out of this debate now, have a nice day !
__________________
"May you live as long as you want and never want for as long as you live".

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #37
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
We have considered DVC, however, we get really great rates with the military discount so we have said that if that ever gets discontinued, we would consider DVC again.

Truth be told, I don't love the decor at the villas versus the resort, so that's a stumbling block too with DVC.
:
Oh I totally get what you are saying! The WL is a perfect example! I hate the decor in the villas yet the regular rooms there are nice IMHO. But, when we stayed there for Xmas, the decor didn't bother me. The poor condition of our room is another story lol.

But, the other DVC villas are beautiful. Have you seen the GFV?

I can understand why you go for CL when you get such a good military discount!

So then I guess I should ask, why not just stay with CL? Why do you have to give it up?
__________________
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
Oh I totally get what you are saying! The WL is a perfect example! I hate the decor in the villas yet the regular rooms there are nice IMHO. But, when we stayed there for Xmas, the decor didn't bother me. The poor condition of our room is another story lol.

But, the other DVC villas are beautiful. Have you seen the GFV?

I can understand why you go for CL when you get such a good military discount!

So then I guess I should ask, why not just stay with CL? Why do you have to give it up?
I have seen GFV and yes....

And to answer your question....I think we may just stay with CL. I just ran down the options with him and he wants CL....wouldn't want to let him down....

I was trying to be more frugal, but really our vacations are the only things we splurge on. Both DH and I work hard, and make a good living. We have substantial savings and we pay 100% in cash and have no credit card debt at all. We live in a modest (but perfectly nice) house and don't have fancy cars...we have been splurging on our vacations but not to our financial detriment so I think we deserve it.

I have not come away from a CL experience thinking it wasn't worth it, even YC CL, because I was happy to have experienced it. And we are paying less than rack rate for a regular room with our discount to stay CL. For us, that's worth it.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL

Last edited by Mousemommy1; 06-18-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 8,363

Yay! So you have your answer! Now which resort??

I vote for the CR CL with an MK view!

My reasoning? There may be construction going on over at the Poly. The GF Sugar Loaf CL has too many mixed and bad reviews for my tastes. You have already done the YC and WL, the BC to me would be too similar to the YC and the AKL is too far away from the parks. That leaves the BW & CR. The restaurants & monorail sway me to the CR.
__________________
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
jperrot1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 605

CL is a magical experience. Last time we visited WDW we stayed at the Poly CL with castle view. That was two summers ago. This summer we are staying at All Star Sports standard room, and their food court will be down during our whole stay. We're planning on having a fun time, and I'm sure we will. But.... Club Level is amazing!!!!
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #41
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 10,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnik View Post
Yay! So you have your answer! Now which resort??

I vote for the CR CL with an MK view!

My reasoning? There may be construction going on over at the Poly. The GF Sugar Loaf CL has too many mixed and bad reviews for my tastes. You have already done the YC and WL, the BC to me would be too similar to the YC and the AKL is too far away from the parks. That leaves the BW & CR. The restaurants & monorail sway me to the CR.
It's all about justification....

DH wants Sugarloaf. Mainly because in August, the pool is very important, and GF has two good size pools plus the splash area. Sugarloaf is right next to the pool.

Believe me, we are not picky people. A lot of the negative things we have read about Sugarloaf would not really bother us. Plus, we tour alot different where we sleep in and usually get to the lounge when everyone has already left and we have it to ourselves...

I don't care if the staff addresses us by name, thought its nice! (We had that at WL) I just want a decent food selection, a clean room and friendly helpful service.

CR is on my radar though... My only problem with TPV there is....now this will sound picky..... that darn bus station is under construction, and if it's not done, our view will be tainted.

If I'm paying for a view, I want a view!
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD7) (DS Due 1/16/15!!)


PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #42
Willows909
Mouseketeer
 
Willows909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperrot1 View Post
CL is a magical experience. Last time we visited WDW we stayed at the Poly CL with castle view. That was two summers ago. This summer we are staying at All Star Sports standard room, and their food court will be down during our whole stay. We're planning on having a fun time, and I'm sure we will. But.... Club Level is amazing!!!!
It's all in the attitude! I am sure I'll be back to POP after this splurge and will be happy there as well! Pop is a very enjoyable value. Being in Disney ANYWhere is magical! Just sayin' Although... a split between a value and a deluxe is not out of the question!!!
Willows909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #43
tarak
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: central PA
Posts: 1,190

We've stayed CL at the Poly and AKL. Love, love, love AKL CL. The Poly didn't impress, but this was a few years ago - the lounge was in desperate need of a refurb. So it might be better now.

The only thing that's made up give up CL is the size of our party. We're a family of five plus an infant and two rooms or a suite are just not feasible. Last time around, we rented DVC points. I have to say, I was thrilled with it. The rooms at AKV I thought were just like those at AKL. I have to admit, though, I did miss the CL. Nothing like being able to grab a glass of wine to take back to the room and watch the zebras from the balcony. I plan to take my mom down for F&W and the only question for me is where I stay CL. I don't know if she'd be able to give up that savannah view!
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #44
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran
 
mommyrosa2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Well, I am clearly having issues here. Contemplating what I will book for next year's trip once rates come out. We will book 10 nights in August 2014.

We go annually, or more, and have stayed at all levels. DH and I always stayed at values before kids and loved them! Then the kids came....we stayed at POP (Loved it!), then CBR (really disliked it) and then finally bit the bullet and booked a deluxe (WL). I think our mistake was going right to club level on our first deluxe stay. WL CL was absolutely wonderful.... Everything was great, the resort, CL CM's, the food selections in the lounge....just a perfect 10 night stay.

Then, this year we did YC CL. It was nice, but it was not WL CL and we felt like we would not spend the $$ on CL at YC again but would definitely stay at YC again someday.

So, for next year.....I was torn between my first choice Poly CL and GF Sugarloaf (RPC is out of the question, just too expensive). I do have concerns though that if DVC is in fact started at Poly, it will be a hot mess (literally) with construction and I don't want to deal with that on vacation....thus the thought of GF CL...but I have heard very mixed reviews on Sugarloaf and don't want to end up with another YC feeling.

What I would like to do is just book a deluxe and not do CL, but I'm afraid I (and my family) will miss it!!!

Have any of you gone from CL to a regular deluxe and been equally or even more happy??? Or did you miss CL?

And feel free to chime in on your favorite CL's and why, or even why you feel that CL is a waste of money....

In other words, all opinions welcome. HELP!
Mousemommy....I feel your pain! After staying CL on our last two trips, I know I am going to miss it on our upcoming trip this August BUT I'm happy to at least be returning to the BC. We do have FD so we'll use our snack credits for breakfast items and will most likely pick up some discounted gift cards to cover any snacks and any drinks we'll need/want for the week. I won't do a grocery run again and stock the room as we tried this on one of our earlier trips & found that the kids never wanted the stuff we bought at the store & ended up with so much left at the end of our stay. I will however be looking forward to my trip with DH in the Fall & staying CL then since we won't have any DP & will be enjoying F&W. Good luck deciding although I'm sure between now & your actual trip, you will have changed your mind quite a bit Oh and I know exactly what you mean about the Poly next year...we too want to try that resort next year but am a little nervous about the construction so not sure I'm willing to take the plunge.
__________________
1997:Travelodge-DTD| 2005:ASMu| 2007:POP| 2009:CSR| 2010:AKL| 2011:BC CL| 2012:BC CL| 2013:BC CL| Oct. 2013:BC|Aug. 2014:GF| Oct. 2014: CR CL &YC CL| Dec. 2014: CSR| Jan 2015: CSR|Aug 2015: Poly CL



mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #45
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,163

If you really love club level and can afford it I'm not sure why you want to give it up. Have you ever considered a split between WL CL and RPC that would reign in the cost of your trip a little.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.