Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

They are not pants. Do not substitute them for proper pants.

Along with covering your rear end with a tunic, make sure that they you raise your arms, no one sees more than you intended. I am tired of seeing women in leggings (often sheer) raise their arms/sit in a chair and I get a big old look at black thongs worn underneath. If I'm seeing a black thong disappear up your backside, I am seeing your backside.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Be a size 6 or under and younger than 25...that's my do's and don'ts for leggings. Other than that I have no other pointers since I don't meet either of those qualifications.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Be a size 6 or under and younger than 25...that's my do's and don'ts for leggings. Other than that I have no other pointers since I don't meet either of those qualifications.
You must also have unusually long legs and being over 6 feet tall doesn't hurt.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

I've heard that the rule for fashion is that if you were around for the trend the first time, then you're too old for it the second time it comes around. That makes me definitely too old for leggings.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #20
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
I'm breaking your rules too, I'm 42, size 8 and I wear leggings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
They are not pants. Do not substitute them for proper pants.

Along with covering your rear end with a tunic, make sure that they you raise your arms, no one sees more than you intended. I am tired of seeing women in leggings (often sheer) raise their arms/sit in a chair and I get a big old look at black thongs worn underneath. If I'm seeing a black thong disappear up your backside, I am seeing your backside.
ewwwwwwwwwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
I've heard that the rule for fashion is that if you were around for the trend the first time, then you're too old for it the second time it comes around. That makes me definitely too old for leggings.
Well, then I'd have to walk around naked because all fashion has already been done in my lifetime. LOL

OP wear your leggings but please wear a shirt/tunic/dress that's long enough to cover your butt with your arms in the air. lol That's really my only rule.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMom View Post
Whale tail!
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

I don't know why I'm just now discovering leggings, but I am and I. AM. IN. LOVE.

I think the main rule or guideline for leggings is that if you want to wear them, you should really lover your legs, because, let's face it, that's what leggings are showcasing, especially considering you'll be wearing such a baggy shirt on top.

I have very long, very skinny legs. Skinny jeans are still baggy one me. I unfortunately have a very short waist though & a post-baby baby belly that was there even BEFORE I had babies, lol. But carrying around 14.5lb of twins has made it a mushy mess. Leggings help me draw attention to the parts of myself that I like and disguise the parts that I don't like.

I hope this trend never ends... it's so easy & so comfy! Add to it the popularity of messy buns on top of your head and I have never done so little to look so fashionable.

(P.S. I'm 32 and am a size 9/10 typically -- like I said, classic apple body shape)

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: waiting for 3/15 to get here!
NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
mjantz
DIS Veteran

I'm apparently one of those who should NOT wear leggings (almost 40 & plus size) but I do. Mostly as an extra layer under dresses that on my tall frame are a little shorter than I feel comfortable with. I generally like my dresses to fully cover my knees so if they're even skimming my knee I get out the leggings.
The rule about not wearing something the second time around has more to do with wearing it the exact same way. For example, I wore a LOT of neon the first time it came around. Like head to toe neon. I'm seeing the trend return & I can tell you that I will NOT be wearing it head to toe again. Maybe a scarf or necklace or one item of clothing in neon (in a cut & style that flatter my figure) but never again head to toe.
IMO (& I love clothing & fashion) you can wear just about anything. It's all about how you wear it. I thought I couldn't wear skinny jeans for a long time & then I broke down & bought a pair & realized they look great with oversized tops. I can't wear them with a short top & ballet flats but with a slightly slouchy top & boots they look great.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #24
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Biggest rule I can think of is...C Y A

I guess I break the rules, I am 41 and that's my go-to cool weather thing...I make no apologies
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #25
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

With the right dress, leggings can look very cute on anyone of any size. I think maybe what a lot of posters are reacting to are people who wear leggings and show parts of their legs that maybe they don't need to.

My rule is that the dress must cover at least as much as my shorts would. (I like mid-length shorts - they cover the icky parts of my legs and leave the nice parts out.) Done that way, I think it's totally age appropriate. It's similar to wearing colored tights, but warmer, and I can wear my flats. Also, those dresses can take me from early fall through winter (at least here in Gulf Coast Louisiana) simply by the choice of no under leg garments, tights, leggings, or leggings and boots.

I'm also short waisted but when I wear tights or leggings and a nice dress, somehow I don't look quite so short waisted.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #26
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

As you've had plenty of fashion advice, let me give you a little laundry advice: follow the label, and air dry your leggings. I am a lover of leggings--I basically dress like an off-duty ballerina, all the time--and it only took me one pair of leggings with destroyed elastic to realize that air drying was the way to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'll confess: I wear my leggings as pants. All the time. No shame. (I am under 25 and am fairly fit)

I do make sure that my top is covering the majority of my butt and I always make sure you cannot see my underwear (another confession: I've gone without underwear before while wearing leggings).
Old 06-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #28
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

I love leggings. My rule is buy your correct size. Just because you think your a size small doesn't mean you are a size small.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemygoofy View Post
leggings are not underwear and should not be substituted for such.
Furthermore, leggings are not pants and should not be substituted for such.

We have a plethora of girls at school who are wearing them "as pants" -- and not with long tunic-type tops or short dresses.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Furthermore, leggings are not pants and should not be substituted for such.

We have a plethora of girls at school who are wearing them "as pants" -- and not with long tunic-type tops or short dresses.
My dd is 13 and guilty of wearing leggings as pants to school as are most of the girls in her class. She will not wear jeans. But her leggings are more like yoga pants but skin tight ones not the ones you buy in the sock/stocking section of a store. They are bought in the clothes section of kids stores but still called leggings.

Wears them with normal t shirts and sweaters.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: