Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
We worded the invite as an open house- come and go- from 4-8.
I think people will eat less than you expect, but again, it's a game of budgetary chicken so only you can determine how comfortable you feel with potentially running low on food.

If your guest list is comprised of 100 high school football players, you may want to go heavy, but if it's a mix of 33 aunts, uncles and grandmas, 33 parents of high school friends, i.e. adults, and 33 high school grads with big appetites, don't aim your food ordering for 100 at the 33 big eaters! Average it out and remember that many will graze and a few won't eat at all...And so those people average out the five linebackers who will each take three sandwiches and half a bag of chips, so don't plan on three sandwiches and a half a bag of chips for 100 people. Unless you want massive leftovers.

Just my opinions from watching my staff make a lot of money sell catering by being honest with the customer.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #32
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I feel like no matter how long the list of what someone says they are serving their guests, someone posts that it's not enough and they need to serve other stuff.
Yep. It's pretty much me saying I need a salad. Because I don't eat pork or starches.

But since the point of the post was to ask what was missing, I stand by my response.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #33
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
For my son's graduation party

I was going to have it catered by Dickie's BBQ, until I called for the price. $9.50 per person?! We are having close to 100 people. No way can we afford that, no matter how good it is, or how easy it would be. So, I will cook.

Pulled Pork with rolls and BBQ sauce
BBQ meatballs (the kind with the grape jelly/chili sauce)
Hot dogs cooked in the crock pot, with rolls and condiments
Pasta Salad
Cole Slaw
Potato salad
Baked beans
Chips
Philadelphia Pretzel "rivet" tray with dips
cheese tray
veggie tray
fruit tray
pickles and olives
assorted desserts (friends offered to bring)
cupcake tower with assorted decorated cupcakes
soda and water

Does this sound like enough food? Am I missing anything? Party is in July, food will be inside (air conditioned), party will be in and out (there is a pool where we are). I don't want to mess with dips and stuff- too hot. Time frame is 4pm-8pm.

I am trying to figure out how many pork butts to roast. We invited 100- but I haven't received a lot of responses yet. I am thinking 2- possibly 3. Not sure?!
It seems to me that my local Costco had discounted Dickie's BBQ gift cards. If that is the case, you could purchase those and use them to pay for the party. It would significantly reduce your cost. You might want to check into it?
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

By the way, I think the menu looks good. Sure, there are always things that can be added or subtracted, but you know your guests and so you should make those additions or subtractions based on what you think they'll want. The menu would certainly appeal to me for an "open house" type event.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik

Quote:
Is that pretty much the rule of thumb? About 1/2 show? I know people don't RSVP anymore, which is a bit frustrating. We have about 40 confirmed so far...party is July 13.

And I know what you mean about the cans. I need to think about this soon- sale ends Saturday and I can only buy 4 at a time. Need to send my friends in this week to help me out
I don't think it's that only half will show, but not every one will come wanting to eat a full meal. Most will probably pick, especially if it is an open house. Maybe some will be party hopping and have already eaten. I know that will be the case with DD#1's graduation party next weekend.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
It seems to me that my local Costco had discounted Dickie's BBQ gift cards. If that is the case, you could purchase those and use them to pay for the party. It would significantly reduce your cost. You might want to check into it?
No Costco around here
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Sounds YUMMY! I'm hungry now! Have a great time!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I feel like no matter how long the list of what someone says they are serving their guests, someone posts that it's not enough and they need to serve other stuff.
Well, the OP did ask "Does this sound like enough food? Am I missing anything?"

OP, it looks great to me. I do like a green salad myself. Something light. I always order salad trays from our local deli for events. They go very fast.

But if you decide against adding anything else, it still looks like a great menu!
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I feel like I say this on every food thread, but I would add a plain green salad. Everything on this list is very heavy, especially for summer.

Also salsa, guac, or blue cheese dip for the chips.

And dare I ask ... no beer/wine? Gotta have beer with pulled pork.
My first thoughts were where is the green salad, wine and beer (unless folks were asked to bring wine and beer - I'd still make some sangria and get a keg).
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #40
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
My first thoughts were where is the green salad, wine and beer (unless folks were asked to bring wine and beer - I'd still make some sangria and get a keg).
I posted on page 2 I think....can't have alcohol at this place. Which is a bummer, because I like my adult beverages! But, my mom will have the "after party" at her place, where we will have plenty of cold ones. I will need it after this party is over!

oh, and veggie tray, green salad- same thing...LOL
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #41
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

We had about 100 people at DD's party last year. Don't forget - some people party hop - so not everyone of the 100 people will be eating a full meal.

We had 20 pounds of meat. 5-BBQ pork, 5 BBQ chicken, 5 pounds of sliced ham, and 5 pounds of a pulled beef (I don't like BBQ). We had very little left over. I only made the beef. The rest we picked up from a much less expensive catering/deli place than yours, got to pick it up hot, so didn't need to store it prior to the party. (The 5# pans were between $30 and $40 each, i.e. the ham slices were less expensive than the pulled pork). We also got 10 pounds of fruit salad from the same deli/catering. I'll do a lot of things - cutting up a ton of fruit isn't anything I enjoy - cuz I do not like most fruits, so a good move on my part.

If you aren't having coleslaw...I will not be coming (Just kidding). Coleslaw is the easiest-peasiest thing to make. Just start with a bag of pre-cut cabbage/carrots (near the precut lettuce). Then just dump in bottled coleslaw dressing. Put it in a ziplok bag - shake it up a little bit - do that the day before. Honestly - it costs about $5 or $6 to make this. If you belong to Costco (or other similar store) they have really big bags of the shredded coleslaw. This only takes 5 minutes to make.

And - while you are at Costco (Sams Club or whatever warehouse is near you) get the veggie trays. Costco's are $10, we bought 2, only went through 1.

I "had" to make a homemade German Potato Salad (20 pounds of potatoes) as it is an old family recipe. THAT WAS A PAIN. But - really I just had to suck this one up.

While you are at Costco, Sam's etc - pick up a "big-big-big can of baked beans or two. The really big cans that look like they are for restaurants. These are about $5 each (at the warehouse stores). If you only go through 1 can - donate the other one to a food pantry. (I was a little shocked by this - our food panrty LOVES the big cans of stuff for the big families they serve).

We also picked up 2-medium cheese trays (as opposed to 1 large) so I could keep one in the fridge until we needed it. Got this from a local cheese store - as in us Wisconsinites love great cheese!

HAVE FUN! If you are cooking your own meat - start it the week before, pull and shred it and then freeze it until a day or two before the party. Try to get as much done the day or two before - so you can relax a little bit before your party so you can enjoy it too!

I just saw your note that you don't have a Costco near you. Bummer....

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #42
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's funny- we just went to a grad party for kid from our church- we are close to his family. His mom is Syrian, and she made all of the food. It was mostly Syrian food- kibi, spinach pies, meat pies (all little labor intensive morsels-), plus flank steak, pulled chicken, and numerous salads, hummus, etc., that she all made homemade. I figure I can make some pulled pork without much of a problem. At least I am not forming, stuffing, and frying kibi! (I think that is how it is spelled?!)
'Kibi' is spelled 'Kibbie'. It is amazing & one of my favorite things to order at our local Lebanese restaurant.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #43
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz

'Kibi' is spelled 'Kibbie'. It is amazing & one of my favorite things to order at our local Lebanese restaurant.
It's kibbeh
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #44
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Huh. I just checked the menu at the Lebanese restaurant (run by a Lebanese family) & it's listed as Kibbie. Maybe it's a regional variation. However you spell it, it's yummy!
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz
Huh. I just checked the menu at the Lebanese restaurant (run by a Lebanese family) & it's listed as Kibbie. Maybe it's a regional variation. However you spell it, it's yummy!
When you say the word it sounds like kibbie. The Lebanese restaurant probably just sounded it out. I love kibbeh too. It's my favourite. It has to have pine nuts though. My sister in law once made me kibbeh made with mashed rice on the outside instead of the meat/bulgar mixture most commonly used on the outer crust. It was filled with meat and pine nuts and deep fried. It was probably the best thing I've ever tasted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: