Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpig70 View Post
I am confused as how you say you don't want to mess with dips as its to hot yet are having potato salad which is pretty much a "dip"

Also what do you put on the chips, veggies and fruit?


As to whether you have enough food I would say yes. The price of the catering is high but look at what it will cost you to make everything and then look at all the work and lastly do you wanna spend the party serving food?
Ok- let me clarify. There will be dip for the veggies. Like ranch dip. No dip for the fruit. I'm not into that. What I mean by "no dips" was no buffalo chicken dip, no taco dip- stuff like that. And how is potato salad like a dip? Just curious?
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I feel like I say this on every food thread, but I would add a plain green salad. Everything on this list is very heavy, especially for summer.

Also salsa, guac, or blue cheese dip for the chips.

And dare I ask ... no beer/wine? Gotta have beer with pulled pork.
No beer/wine until the "after party". We can't have alcohol at the clubhouse of my mom's condo assoc. Well, we could- but we would have to take out some insane insurance rider. I think people can live without for 4 hours.

Funny- I thought the veggie tray covers the green salad. I don't really find these foods heavy, though- they are typical summer foods
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
disykat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Washington State
Posts: 17,319

Although it seems like a reasonable catering price, I think you can cook for way cheaper than $1000.

My first guess would be that it will cost you about $500, including all the drinks etc. Sure, the meat will be expensive but the rest won't be as bad. Hopefully you can borrow a couple of coolers, crock pots, roasters, etc. from friends and maybe even room in a neighbor's fridge.

I also don't think you need dips, although I would probably put out ranch with the veggie tray.

I would eliminate the cole slaw and potato salad as those seem labor intensive to me and just do pasta salad, a big green salad, baked beans and the trays.

I've seen ice buffet inflatable things, sort of kiddie pool style, at oriental trading that you could use for the cold foods.
__________________
DL - 1966,1974,2007 WDW 1987,
WDW/BRB 12/90 Honeymoon, DW/DCL 07/01 family 10th Ann, WDW 12/10 family 20th anniversary
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
wvjules
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,341

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Ok- let me clarify. There will be dip for the veggies. Like ranch dip. No dip for the fruit. I'm not into that. What I mean by "no dips" was no buffalo chicken dip, no taco dip- stuff like that. And how is potato salad like a dip? Just curious?
I think because they are both mayo (or sour cream) based.

Sounds like a typical summer menu to me as well.

DD's is this Sunday. We are ony having 40 or so. I think our menu is going to be burgers, dogs, baked beans, mac salad, , potato salad, chips and dip, fried chicken, rigatoni, veggie tray, fruit tray, deviled eggs, and cake. My family will eat anything and veggies aren't a must. lol Maybe I'll get a big bagged salad, maybe not. Who knows. lol

Good luck with your party.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Although it seems like a reasonable catering price, I think you can cook for way cheaper than $1000.

My first guess would be that it will cost you about $500, including all the drinks etc. Sure, the meat will be expensive but the rest won't be as bad. Hopefully you can borrow a couple of coolers, crock pots, roasters, etc. from friends and maybe even room in a neighbor's fridge.

I also don't think you need dips, although I would probably put out ranch with the veggie tray.

I would eliminate the cole slaw and potato salad as those seem labor intensive to me and just do pasta salad, a big green salad, baked beans and the trays.

I've seen ice buffet inflatable things, sort of kiddie pool style, at oriental trading that you could use for the cold foods.
Yeah, I really don't think I am going to come close to $1000 with buying and cooking, although I appreciate all of the opinions. The only thing that will take a lot of time is the pork. Everything else is simple. I have access to MANY crock pots, which is how I am going to keep the hot food hot.

I have some clear under the bed storage containers that I am going to fill with ice and those will be for the cold food bowls. I am going to buy the potato salad, my mom is making the pasta salad, and cole slaw is actually incredibly easy to make and better if made ahead (plus, it goes well with the pulled pork )

My DS invited about 20 or so of his friends. The rest is family, family friends. I'm sure not everyone will come. Or they won't stay the entire time.

I will have help. My mom is helping me out with the cooking, and both of my parents are helping by ordering/making the cheese tray, and the veggie tray.

We have two great stores here- Price Rite and Bottom Dollar, which is where I will buy a majority of my food items. The produce at Price Rite is at an exceptional price, so I won't spend a ton there. I think I will be OK cost wise. Time wise- well, I am only working 1/2 days that week and off on Friday, so you all know where I will be- in my kitchen

It's funny- we just went to a grad party for kid from our church- we are close to his family. His mom is Syrian, and she made all of the food. It was mostly Syrian food- kibi, spinach pies, meat pies (all little labor intensive morsels-), plus flank steak, pulled chicken, and numerous salads, hummus, etc., that she all made homemade. I figure I can make some pulled pork without much of a problem. At least I am not forming, stuffing, and frying kibi! (I think that is how it is spelled?!)
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP

Last edited by marcyinPA; 06-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,065

OP, maybe you could consider just having Dickie's provide the BBQ? I'm just trying to picture how many pork butts you'd need to stockpile, and then cook etc.

I really do understand being on a budget, but my compromise is often to buy some prepared foods, and then do some myself.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb1 View Post
OP, maybe you could consider just having Dickie's provide the BBQ? I'm just trying to picture how many pork butts you'd need to stockpile, and then cook etc.

I really do understand being on a budget, but my compromise is often to buy some prepared foods, and then do some myself.
$13.99/lb. Checked into it already. That's about $12 more per pound than it would cost for me to make it. Eh- I think I'd rather slave over the oven for a while...
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Ok- question. Soda for the party. Cans or 2 liter bottles? I can get Coke products for 88c a bottle this week at Bottom Dollar. But when I go to a party, I prefer cans. I know people do either. Not sure which to do...
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #24
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Ok- question. Soda for the party. Cans or 2 liter bottles? I can get Coke products for 88c a bottle this week at Bottom Dollar. But when I go to a party, I prefer cans. I know people do either. Not sure which to do...
I might do 2 liters, and then some giant containers of lemonade or iced tea. With cans, I find after the party, I'm emptying out 50 cans of soda that each have a sip taken out of them, agghh!! But then you have to find space for ice buckets if you do 2 liters, which is also a pain. I think I've talked myself back into cans, lol!!!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik
 
DebD4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 889

I prefer cans, but they are a bit wasteful since people tend to drink some, put it down and forget about it.

With regards to the catering, I would cater for 50 people if you invited 100.
__________________
DebD4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #26
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebD4T View Post
I prefer cans, but they are a bit wasteful since people tend to drink some, put it down and forget about it.

With regards to the catering, I would cater for 50 people if you invited 100.
Is that pretty much the rule of thumb? About 1/2 show? I know people don't RSVP anymore, which is a bit frustrating. We have about 40 confirmed so far...party is July 13.

And I know what you mean about the cans. I need to think about this soon- sale ends Saturday and I can only buy 4 at a time. Need to send my friends in this week to help me out
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #27
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!
 
lovemygoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: nothing, nothing, nothing....oooh tumbleweed!
Posts: 9,188

I wouldn't serve sodas at all to be honest. If you are going to serve sodas, I would serve from 2 liters.

I would serve lemonade, tea(even flavored fresh fruit teas), water(fresh fruit water), and some fruit punch if you want.

So many drinks and food are wasted at parties that people will take a drink from a can and put it down and likely not get it again. It also cuts down on the amount of trash you have to clean up afterwards.
__________________
Tina
Proud Army Wife


Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #28
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I feel like I say this on every food thread, but I would add a plain green salad. Everything on this list is very heavy, especially for summer.

Also salsa, guac, or blue cheese dip for the chips.
I feel like no matter how long the list of what someone says they are serving their guests, someone posts that it's not enough and they need to serve other stuff.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran
 
A_Princess'_Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,185

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Is that pretty much the rule of thumb? About 1/2 show? I know people don't RSVP anymore, which is a bit frustrating. We have about 40 confirmed so far...party is July 13.

And I know what you mean about the cans. I need to think about this soon- sale ends Saturday and I can only buy 4 at a time. Need to send my friends in this week to help me out
My DW and I own a bunch of restaurants that do a lot of catering for graduation parties and while we're not active in their management, what we've learned from watching their operation is that at graduation parties people usually don't eat a lot because they are typically set up as open houses and people tend to drop in and then move on, versus a traditional party, e.g. a birthday or anniversary celebration, where people are there for a meal. As a result, our catering staff have learned they can close a lot of sales by helping people not "over order" which brings their price down compared with the bids from our competitors. But if your event will be an all-day party where people will expect to be fed a full meal, then you probably don't want to cut it super close. Again, however, people generally eat less at open houses than you'd expect, so think about your guests and plan accordingly.
__________________
DW Me DD DS
BWV 5/22/10-5/30/10 & 3/12/11-3/19/11, AKV 11/18/11-11/27/11, BWV 2/23/12-2/27/12, BLT 3/16/12-3/25/12, Many trips before, too many to try to count
A_Princess'_Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!
 
marcyinPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 7,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
My DW and I own a bunch of restaurants that do a lot of catering for graduation parties and while we're not active in their management, what we've learned from watching their operation is that at graduation parties people usually don't eat a lot because they are typically set up as open houses and people tend to drop in and then move on, versus a traditional party, e.g. a birthday or anniversary celebration, where people are there for a meal. As a result, our catering staff have learned they can close a lot of sales by helping people not "over order" which brings their price down compared with the bids from our competitors. But if your event will be an all-day party where people will expect to be fed a full meal, then you probably don't want to cut it super close. Again, however, people generally eat less at open houses than you'd expect, so think about your guests and plan accordingly.
We worded the invite as an open house- come and go- from 4-8.
__________________
10/93- off site(Holiday Inn Maingate East), 10/94- OKW, 10/97- off site (Doubletree Suites DD), 6/02- FW cabins,
5/04- POR (AB),
9/05-ASMo (Dh's 40th birthday trip!)- Free DDP, 5/07- POP!- DDP,
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.