Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #76
Letterhead
Mouseketeer

I actually think they need to expand the actual size of the park as well, as it's currently very cramped. A slight detour to the car park entrance road would free up some space behind Star Tours and the Muppets. This might allow them to free up other areas of the park (and hoepfully move the hat away!).

I also hope they don't get rid of all the old school Hollywood attractions. Universal Studios did this, and the park has lost virtually all its charm. I don't want DHS to become a place that is good for rides, but has nothing to see.
Letterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #77
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

I would be happy to have any one of those but Star Wars would totally rock our world :0) also do you guys think the/a Monsters Inc coaster would be included with the possible Pixar Place expansion? If so another win for our fam! And what about Wreck it Ralph or The Incredibles done similar to US Spider-Man! The possibilities are endless.... But until there is an official CNN or major news source pick up a clip of a press conference confirming this one can always dream.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #78
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1134 View Post
I don't think they are trying to mislead anyone either. I heard similar info from a trusted source before either of these threads were started so I believe it to be true.

Also, I see your point (I think it was in the other thread) about people seeming like trolls about the whole "official" thing. However, look at it from the other side. Why do people keep posting "official" and "confirmed" when they know the reaction it will get if it isn't from an official source?
~Hey Reddog, yes, I did mention this in the other thread. So, I'll just respond to your post in that thread. I don't like the stalker-ish vibe I'm getting from this thread! It's pretty funny!!!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #79
MarkC71
Earning My Ears

I have been extremely excited ever since Disney decided to purchase Lucasfilm, I truly believe there can be no better caretaker of the Star Wars Universe. I hope the Star Wars Land rumors are true, I grew up on Star Wars and my son has recently become very interested in it. I would love to be able to share this with him.

It makes complete sense, Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm for a 1/2 billion dollars so they could churn out a few movies and do some merchandising.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #80
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC71 View Post
I have been extremely excited ever since Disney decided to purchase Lucasfilm, I truly believe there can be no better caretaker of the Star Wars Universe. I hope the Star Wars Land rumors are true, I grew up on Star Wars and my son has recently become very interested in it. I would love to be able to share this with him.

It makes complete sense, Disney didn't buy Lucasfilm for a 1/2 billion dollars so they could churn out a few movies and do some merchandising.
If they got Lucasfilm for only a half billion, it would have been the steal of the century, since Episode VII will very likely gross that easily and $1 billion is within reason. The purchase price was actually $4.05 billion.

Yet, they still may not have had the theme parks directly in mind with that purchase. If Disney doesn't somehow screw up the franchise, they can probably get a return on the investment within a decade.

The problem with ascribing theme park assets as a profit item for a purchase like this is that you can't tie direct revenue from the attractions themselves, since they are part of a whole with a single admission price. However, if they were planning a Star Wars Land anyways, and were negotiating a licensing fee for it, they could have considered that in the acquisition cost as well.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #81
murmkc
Mouseketeer

I have always speculated that a star wars land would eventually be added to DHS. When Disney purchased Lucas film, I figured it was a no brainer.

I would be shocked if it did not happen soon.
murmkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #82
brertoad
DIS Veteran

I hope they don't destroy the Muppets 3D. I <3 the Muppets.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #83
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

I remember being pretty excited when I read the article over on themeparkinsider.com a few days ago.

I was even more excited when I saw the thread here that Disney had made the news official! Woohoo! I couldn't wait to read all the details.

Then I saw that it wasn't official after all, but merely a repost of the themeparkinsider post.

I got really bummed.

You all can say what you want about trolls and such, and argue about the use of the word "official". All I want to say is that when I hear that something is official, I expect to see an announcement from Disney, probably with at least some level of detail. I'm always sad when that turns out not to be the case.

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with the idea that "official" has one meaning in the real world and another one on the DIS.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #84
StephyDee
One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give me an awesome tag. Until then?.....BACON AND DUCKS! >:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPCummerbund View Post
I guess I'll just have to learn to live with the idea that "official" has one meaning in the real world and another one on the DIS.
Sadly, I have come to realize this too. Still doesn't stop that split second reaction of "OMG WHAT?!?!?!?! " before you read to find out the details. I know better, but it still bothers me.

My Ultimate Dream: To see Walt Disney World during Christmas time...and not worry about how much it costs to reach that dream...*sigh*
StephyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #85
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I actually think they need to expand the actual size of the park as well, as it's currently very cramped. A slight detour to the car park entrance road would free up some space behind Star Tours and the Muppets. This might allow them to free up other areas of the park (and hoepfully move the hat away!).

I also hope they don't get rid of all the old school Hollywood attractions. Universal Studios did this, and the park has lost virtually all its charm. I don't want DHS to become a place that is good for rides, but has nothing to see.
I understand where you're coming from, but the problem is the theming was part of the original, production-oriented nature of the park when it opened. Unless I"m mistaken, they produce nothing at DHS anymore, and don't intend to - they found the dual problems of production and crowd management to be impossible to reconcile, just as I think Universal did. I think MGM saw this coming miles away, which is why they (and even Disney) didn't want their name attached to the park from several years ago.

Disney has really neglected DHS IMO, doesn't really know what to do with it, and the only thing that makes sense now is something big on the scale of a Star Wars Land or Cars Land. The Backlot Tour takes you on a tour of nothing anymore. LMA was, to me, dated when we went five years ago. I remember on our last visit in 2011 the wait queue for Backlot Tour was showing clips from "Pearl Harbor" and its cutting edge effects...really?!?

The NY city/forced perspective streets are fun the first couple of times you see them, but after that, there's not much point. When we went through them last week, there was nobody there. Once you get past TSMM, people seem to be ignoring the Backlot Tour and LMA in droves. Indy is still packing people in, but I can't help but wonder what percentage of that is nostalgia...its one of my personal favorites (and I've gotten picked from the audience a couple of times), but even I have to admit it feels really, really stale. And even my mother, my 77-year-old movie-loving, AMC-watching mom, thinks the Great Movie Ride was lame.

All this is to say that keeping the theming of DHS is missing the point - movie production is long since in the park's rear-view mirrors. They might reserve some of that in an overhaul, I suppose, but going forward, I just can't see how Disney can justify keeping the place in the status quo with so many opportunities to leverage newer features at their fingertips.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #86
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Good article. Hope it all comes to fruition. By 2018, my children will be well into their teens, but we'll find a way to enjoy it!

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
TJSkinner
Earning My Ears

With Tower of Terror and the Rock n Roller Coaster Hollywood Studios began to have some real appeal to guests. The Great Movie Ride needs revamping with some newer movies added, and since Disney owns the Marvel characters and Star Wars franchise these would be great additions. As well as adding Great and Powerful Oz before The Wizard of Oz scenes. I agree with so many others that the backlot tour and downtown America sections are a waste of real estate, but with the new Pixar Planes coming out, maybe a tie in to Cars/Planes would be even better than just a Cars land. Planes could bring about a ride similar to Soaring, and a roller coaster along the lines of Rockin Roller Coaster. Star Wars has too many opportunities to even begin to discuss, although something touring all the planets, etc. would be interesting.
Disney Cruise November 2013
TJSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #88
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSkinner View Post
With Tower of Terror and the Rock n Roller Coaster Hollywood Studios began to have some real appeal to guests. The Great Movie Ride needs revamping with some newer movies added, and since Disney owns the Marvel characters and Star Wars franchise these would be great additions. As well as adding Great and Powerful Oz before The Wizard of Oz scenes. I agree with so many others that the backlot tour and downtown America sections are a waste of real estate, but with the new Pixar Planes coming out, maybe a tie in to Cars/Planes would be even better than just a Cars land. Planes could bring about a ride similar to Soaring, and a roller coaster along the lines of Rockin Roller Coaster. Star Wars has too many opportunities to even begin to discuss, although something touring all the planets, etc. would be interesting.
They could call it "Star Tours!"

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #89
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Interesting that just two days before this article we were touring Imagineering with the DIS Backstage Magic tour. I don't want to say too much about what they showed us, and they didn't show us ANYTHING that would indicate future construction - and believe me, I tried to peak around corners and such...

..but we were talking to the imagineers that were giving us the tour, trying to pry out information, and one other person on our tour brought up whether there was going to be any Star Wars stuff coming up. The imagineer basically said "I can't say anything about that, except that, well..Disney bought Star Wars." and he gave a little smile and a shrug. You really could take it for whatever you wanted, but my interpretation was that something's coming.

The other thing that I got a strong vibe out there from CMs and other folks as well as that big things are brewing for D23. They do not want a bust like the last D23.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #90
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
The imagineer basically said "I can't say anything about that, except that, well..Disney bought Star Wars." and he gave a little smile and a shrug. You really could take it for whatever you wanted, but my interpretation was that something's coming.

The other thing that I got a strong vibe out there from CMs and other folks as well as that big things are brewing for D23. They do not want a bust like the last D23.
I have little doubt, although no facts to support this opinion, Disney has imagineers coming with ideas and plans for Star Wars and Cars "Lands" in DHS. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Assume both wind up being true.

Would people be happy if the additions for Star War Land was a new and improved gift shop, restaurant and signage?

If the main attraction for Cars Land is a 4 D movie replacing the existing Muppet movie? Of course a character restaurant and gift shops.

Isn't Radiator Springs Racers basically test tack with a different theme? Florida never got the Indy ride. Instead we got Dinosaur , using the same technology. One of the other sites said the decision has already been made not to put Radiator Springs Racers in Florida. Only a rumor but plausible.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: