Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran
 
Figment_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 542

Great report. Can't wait to see the rest.
__________________
Me, DW, DS (20), DD (14)
Figment_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Disney mam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 299

Wed 5th June -Rome

Happy Birthday to me.

Woke up at 6:30 and got ready for breakfast (which was room service at 7am). Hey, it was my birthday, so I thought I would treat myself.
I walked out of the bathroom to my boys awaiting me with a gift. They had bought me a new watch whilst on board, Minnie Mouse. And then my DH presented me with his gift, a beautiful necklace (I had already said this was a no gift birthday)! Oh well, it was a very nice surprise. I opened my cards and I even had a card and gift in my FE from another cruiser (thank you, you know who you are). After a lovely start of the day we were going to Rome.

We made our way to the awaiting bus just outside the ship that would drop us off at the port gate. AT the gate was lots of people touting for your business whether it be trying to sell you fast train tickets or something else that I didn't hang around to find out.
We walked passed these and out of the port and spotted a beautiful statue that we thought we would get a picture of on our way back, (we totally forgot but discovered that my 9 year DS had got one). My boy is so good.

This is the picture we forgot to get!!!

We crossed the road and turned right towards the train station. I had read that there is normally a long queue at the station but to go passed this and buy my tickets from the newspaper shop. This is inside and to the right of the ticket area. No one else seemed to know this as it was empty. We bought 4 BIRG tickets for 12 euros each and this gave us unlimited travel within zone 5. We were able to get to and from Rome (approx 1 hour journey), use the metro and can be used on the bus around Rome too.
We validated our tickets in the machine just inside by the ticket area and had to write our names and D.O.B on our tickets. This train was a double deck and we had seats up top.

I used this site to print off pocket sized timetable of trains to and from the port- Rome. It was the best thing I had on me.
http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html



We got off the train at Ostiense and got the metro to Colosseo. The metro is Line B and is only 2 stops to the Colosseo station. When you exit the station, the Colosseum will be directly in front of you. Note if you are European and have children they get in for free with a passport.
There was a girl outside who offered us a guided tour of the Colosseum/ Forum and Hill for 30euros each. We did this and were glad that we had because the queues were ridiculously long and the man who was our guide was great. He was Italian and very passionate about the place. My DH was impressed by this guy and how he was able to articulate the history and what went on here. Like I said, I did not pay for the kids and the guy took their PP to get their free entry (he has to pay for the group to get in). We did not have to queue to get in, but had a fast pass as a tour group.

One thing I did hear was an American tour guide saying "when we built this". I was shocked because firstly she was not Italian and it just sounded wrong. Secondly, she wasn't around when it was built. I just felt like she sounded like she didn't have any passion for the place and was reading a speech!



We loved the Colosseum and have decided to go back to Rome for a few days without kids (or maybe when they are older). We were going to pick up the 2nd tour of the hill but my youngest was complaining he wanted to eat and then Thunder started to rumble, so we headed back to the ship as we already decided we would come back for longer. We headed to Rome with the intention of the Colosseum, hill, fountain and steps but decided to just enjoy the Colosseum only because we were in awe of it. If you just wanted to run through the Colosseum and move on to other site then you can do it (better with kids), but we planned on being as relaxed as possible because we know we can easily go back. This was just a taster sort of thing for us.


We had to be back on the ship by 6:30pm and tonight' dinner was cruise casual with the show "Villains tonight".
My DH met a lovely man from Singapore and we walked back to the port with him and his wife as they were getting a cruise from there and didn't what stop to get of at and know where to go for the port.

Whilst were at dinner there were a couple of announcement for 2 families to report to GS and we didn't leave until later. Not sure if Disney waited for them or if we had a late slot out of port as there was a few other ships in.

Villains tonight was great!!! We sat with our table mates to watch this show and had good seat in the middle of the middle. After the show it was up top for our drinks and to bed for the next day.

Here's a couple of Pictures my 9 year old son took.


The next picture is the plaque informing you of this mosaic.



He loved these items.

Ooops, if the guy had caught him I et he would not have been happy as they charge you.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki_304/story/15597

Tomorrow we will visit Herculaneum.
__________________
Myself, DH, & 2 DS aged 10 & 8



Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,601

Thanks for sharing, I am really enjoying your report!
__________________
Poohmom 100K



21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
jeni37
Mouseketeer
 
jeni37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT shoreline
Posts: 104

Thank you so much for your report! I am enjoying it so much! I love your son's pictures. My DD will be nine on our cruise to the Med in Aug. I love it when she takes pictures.

Was there a character breakfast or a late night dessert buffet?
__________________
jeni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Disney mam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeni37 View Post
Thank you so much for your report! I am enjoying it so much! I love your son's pictures. My DD will be nine on our cruise to the Med in Aug. I love it when she takes pictures.

Was there a character breakfast or a late night dessert buffet?
Sorry to say but there was none of them.


I was looking forward to a character breakfast.

I too love seeing things through a child' eyes. Some pictures we were shocked to see as we hadn't realised he knew "sepia" and then discovered he had pictured dome of his food. lol I will post them later.

I will do another day tomorrow, had to work from 9-7pm today!!!
__________________
Myself, DH, & 2 DS aged 10 & 8



Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #21
Disney mam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 299

I forgot all about this, when we got home and put DS 9 photos on the computer we realised that he had taken a couple of pictures of his food. He ordered Escargo and really enjoyed them, I had to try one as I didn't want to let him down. He also ordered the Lobster, I think it was lobster macaroni but sure was big mac, he also enjoyed that.

My son will give anything a try which is great because up until last September he was a Lacto-Ovo vegetarian!!

Here are his foodie pics.







I didn't even know he had ordered this as he was sitting next to his Dad and my table guest and I were chatting.
__________________
Myself, DH, & 2 DS aged 10 & 8



Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
jeni37
Mouseketeer
 
jeni37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: CT shoreline
Posts: 104

It is wonderful that he is an adventurous eater! My DD is very picky right now. Her two older brothers have become more adventurous with age. I love the pics! Keep them coming! Looking at the photos my children take are one of my favorite things to do after we return home. I am a scrapbooker and love to put them in our albums!
__________________
jeni37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
Disney mam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 299

June 6th Herculaneum

This was the last port before a sea day.



We pre-ordered breakfast using room service by placing the card on the door because we found it easier to get ready and off the ship. For this we were going to do it on our own again. We did consider getting a taxi to Herculaneum which costs only 70euros and waits 2 hours for you to enjoy the area before returning you to port. We thought we would see how everyone was feeling and if my knee was holding up before we decided to take a taxi or catch the train. We all enjoyed the other train experiences and felt confident to do it again.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki..._5658.jpg.html

Firstly, you get to the port gates and there is a mass of taxi drivers touting you for business! 1 even walked a bit with us to see if he could persuade us into a taxi. There were drivers there with names on a board for pre booked excursions. Once we finally got past the taxis and ignored them or saying NO, there is the exit onto a main road. We crossed the road and turned right making our way to the Circumvesuviana station at Piazza Garibaldi. There were street maps posted along the way telling you where you were and where the station was situated.

Firstly let me just say, Naples was creepy and run down. Not the safest feeling walking to the station with my camera around my neck. But TBH, no one bothered us, but I felt uneasy. The road crossing is crazy, green man means they should stop, but you have to start walking or they will carry on going. DH and I just walked into the road and as soon you your foot hit the road they just stopped! Crazy but cool. lol

We turned left after about 4 blocks and the station was on the right aboat 5 mins up the road. I saw a lovely little workshop where a stonemason was carving beautiful sculptures, it was so lovely to see. This is one of the reasons we loved walking to the stations, as we got to see lots of cool things like this and the real Naples. At the station we went into the information centre where the lady gave us a timetable and marked the station. We knew we wanted to get off at Ercolano Scavi. The train took about 20 mins but it goes onto Pompeii and Sorrento.
Tickets costs 2.20 euros each way per person.



When you leave the station head downhill and you will see the entrance for Herculaneum. It is about a 10 minute walk through the town.

As soon as you enter there is a bridge to go over where you will get your first glimpse of a beautiful site!!! Walk on and the ticket office and entrance is in the building on the left. Showed the boys passports and they got in for free. I only saw Spanish guide books there and ask at the desk for an English book, which he found in a drawer.
We got there around 9:30 and there were only a handful of other people there. It did pick up a little after, but not much where you would call it crowded.



My boys loved it, they were in awe of everything they saw and couldn't believe it was 2000 years old. They didn't know where to look next and were saying how good the mosaics and paintings were. They were sayaing "come and look at this, and wow look at that". They did say that it was their favourite place to visit from the whole cruise.

In the evening it was Pirate or cruise casual. We enjoyed our dinner and went to see the magic show that was on in the theatre. The kids loved it, but it is just like most other magic shows we have seen. After this it was party time where we went to deck 10 and joined in the dancing and fun. We all loved the show and the fireworks were wonderful, just a lovely way to end the day. We went for something to eat at the buffet but it was really busy and not the sort of food I enjoyed, so mainly had fruit.

Any pictures that are sepia are what my son took. We only found this out when we got home and they look better than some that my DH took. lol




http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki_304/story/15629

Will post pirate night pictures and others again.
__________________
Myself, DH, & 2 DS aged 10 & 8



Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney mam View Post
This was the last port before a sea day.



We pre-ordered breakfast using room service by placing the card on the door because we found it easier to get ready and off the ship. For this we were going to do it on our own again. We did consider getting a taxi to Herculaneum which costs only 70euros and waits 2 hours for you to enjoy the area before returning you to port. We thought we would see how everyone was feeling and if my knee was holding up before we decided to take a taxi or catch the train. We all enjoyed the other train experiences and felt confident to do it again.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki..._5658.jpg.html

Firstly, you get to the port gates and there is a mass of taxi drivers touting you for business! 1 even walked a bit with us to see if he could persuade us into a taxi. There were drivers there with names on a board for pre booked excursions. Once we finally got past the taxis and ignored them or saying NO, there is the exit onto a main road. We crossed the road and turned right making our way to the Circumvesuviana station at Piazza Garibaldi. There were street maps posted along the way telling you where you were and where the station was situated.

Firstly let me just say, Naples was creepy and run down. Not the safest feeling walking to the station with my camera around my neck. But TBH, no one bothered us, but I felt uneasy. The road crossing is crazy, green man means they should stop, but you have to start walking or they will carry on going. DH and I just walked into the road and as soon you your foot hit the road they just stopped! Crazy but cool. lol

We turned left after about 4 blocks and the station was on the right aboat 5 mins up the road. I saw a lovely little workshop where a stonemason was carving beautiful sculptures, it was so lovely to see. This is one of the reasons we loved walking to the stations, as we got to see lots of cool things like this and the real Naples. At the station we went into the information centre where the lady gave us a timetable and marked the station. We knew we wanted to get off at Ercolano Scavi. The train took about 20 mins but it goes onto Pompeii and Sorrento.
Tickets costs 2.20 euros each way per person.



When you leave the station head downhill and you will see the entrance for Herculaneum. It is about a 10 minute walk through the town.

As soon as you enter there is a bridge to go over where you will get your first glimpse of a beautiful site!!! Walk on and the ticket office and entrance is in the building on the left. Showed the boys passports and they got in for free. I only saw Spanish guide books there and ask at the desk for an English book, which he found in a drawer.
We got there around 9:30 and there were only a handful of other people there. It did pick up a little after, but not much where you would call it crowded.



My boys loved it, they were in awe of everything they saw and couldn't believe it was 2000 years old. They didn't know where to look next and were saying how good the mosaics and paintings were. They were sayaing "come and look at this, and wow look at that". They did say that it was their favourite place to visit from the whole cruise.

In the evening it was Pirate or cruise casual. We enjoyed our dinner and went to see the magic show that was on in the theatre. The kids loved it, but it is just like most other magic shows we have seen. After this it was party time where we went to deck 10 and joined in the dancing and fun. We all loved the show and the fireworks were wonderful, just a lovely way to end the day. We went for something to eat at the buffet but it was really busy and not the sort of food I enjoyed, so mainly had fruit.

Any pictures that are sepia are what my son took. We only found this out when we got home and they look better than some that my DH took. lol




http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki_304/story/15629

Will post pirate night pictures and others again.
Love the Sepia. Very Indiana Jones
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights
 
jedijill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 5,664

I've heard Herculaneum is much better than Pompeii. It's on my list of places to go back to.

Jill in CO
__________________
jedijill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #26
bsusanmb
DIS Veteran
 
bsusanmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Near Hershey PA
Posts: 2,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney mam View Post
Sunday was a sea day and we were up early. The boys went straight to club after breakfast and DH and I chilled with a coffee by the adults pool. It was lovely a quiet this early in the morning and we were the only ones there for a bit.
We decided to just enjoyed the day looking around the ship. We got the boys and took them enjoy the pool for a bit before it got too crowded. I saw lots of people saving loungers!! They did not just save one, they saved them for all family members, then let their kids fall asleep on them whilst they had towels and clothes on others. No one approached them from DCL, but that may be because there was a couple of spares dotted around the place.

We had some lunch and dropped the boys back to the club because they just loved them. DH and I decided to pop back to the adult area and relax for a while. We found lots of empty loungers with items placed on them (but no one in sight belonging to them). We did have a chuckle at a few men who were at the bar and not using the loungers but had all their stuff on loungers! Their "empty" loungers had become shaded so they got their stuff and moved it to the bar area to a sunny are. If they were already sitting in the sunny bar, then why did they have a lounger? Probably hoping to go back in the sun I guess at some point in the day. (Not going to say what language they were speaking)

Okay, so now is the exciting part. We heard of a wedding taking place on board with a DIS member!! and I remembered my Dress was all creased up and I forgot to send it to be sorted!! Had to go iron it in that small room really quick or I would miss the wedding.
We were told we could view the service from the deck above, and thought we would go along for support. My DH took photos of the beautiful Bride and Groom with the sea in the background. Shame the Disney photographer wouldn't pull back a bit, he seemed to only want to take close ups. I have shared the photos with the bride and she claimed they are better than Disney's (which I am shocked).



After the Wedding I had to get ready for Formal night. We were on early seating and the wedding started at 4pm, I was cutting it close. I managed to get the kids from club, get ready and have a picture with the Captain before dinner. Luckily our table mates were just behind us (as the night before they had followed us in), perfect timing.
I didn't get the photo with the Captain because I didn't like it.



Dinner was nice, went smoothly and my oldest boy ordered off the adult menu. Kenloy and Joy were our servers and we were sat at table 35. They were good with the kids, doing magic tricks throughout the cruise and entertaining them. Only thing was, from the 2nd night on they were bringing my boys soda because the other kids at the table was having it. And then later on I noticed the soda was free flowing. Myself and the other Mum had noticed this so we asked them to only allow 1 soda per night. So, just beware of how often soda is given with dinner.
I did not get any menus and my memory has failed me, so for this I am sorry. But I do remember having steak, which was lovely.
I think it was during dinner that an announcement was made to inform us we were high tailing it to Villefranche as someone needed urgent medical attention and that we would be there that night. Of course we were not able to get off as we hadn't had clearance by the port authorities and this was a tender port. But it looked beautiful all lit up at night!!



After dinner, our table guests had to run again and so we decided to go get some more pictures done before heading back to our room to change into something more relaxed. The boys of course went to the clubs and we collected them on the way to the show "Twice Charmed". My youngest ran to the front row seats to the left (not the best place to sit, but we stayed). We loved the show and was looking forward to the rest. After the show, we had a little walk with the boys and everyone was marvelling at how beautiful the view was. A lovely cocoa later and we were able to get the boys to bed ready start the next day.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki_304/story/15523
OH MY GOODNESS, I JUST READ THIS...IT IS ABOUT ME AND MY NEW HUSBAND!!! It was humbling to read this, and YES, your pictures were MUCH better than the Disney photographer! Love reading your trip report, and again, thanks for coming to our wedding. It was a dream come true, and I felt like a princess at the age of 63!!!
__________________


bsusanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #27
Disney mam
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsusanmb View Post
OH MY GOODNESS, I JUST READ THIS...IT IS ABOUT ME AND MY NEW HUSBAND!!! It was humbling to read this, and YES, your pictures were MUCH better than the Disney photographer! Love reading your trip report, and again, thanks for coming to our wedding. It was a dream come true, and I felt like a princess at the age of 63!!!
My DH said kept calling your groom William Shatner. lol He said he looked like him.

It was wonderful watching the service, we just wanted to come along and show some support.

I think I tried recording the service on my phone (don't know how awful it is), I will have a look to see if I can find it and what it is like.

Congratulations again.
__________________
Myself, DH, & 2 DS aged 10 & 8



Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #28
rjk1968
Earning My Ears
 
rjk1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1

Dies your husband have a friend called 'Rodney' Congratulations - your little secret is safe with me and every other person that was in the bar that night 😜
rjk1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
Goldeelox9
Our Disney Cruise Line Wedding ~ November 4, 2008
 
Goldeelox9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 2,564

Great Trip Report so far!!
__________________
*-:¦:-Lisa -:¦:-*Click to read about my wedding :Our Disney Cruise Wedding, Don't miss my B2B on the Dream Trip Report. My newest trip report is Disneyland - DCL, Hawaii, Aulani & Disneyland Still a work in progress!


February 1982 - Off Site; June 1995 - Offsite; February 1998 - AllStar Music; February 2000 - Disney Magic; January 2002 - Carribean Beach Resort & Disney Wonder; January 2004 - Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Wonder; January 2006 - Pop Century; February 2007 - Pop Century; November 2008 - Disney Wonder Wedding & Animal Kingdom Lodge; November 2009 - All Star Movies, Treehouse Villas & Disney Wonder; December 2009 - All Star Music ; January 2011 - POFQ, BLT & Disney Magic Cruise;
September 2011, AKL & B2B - Disney Dream & Wilderness Lodge; January 2012 - Boardwalk; October 2012 - Grand Californian at Disneyland; October 2012 - Disney Wonder to Hawaii; October 2012 - Candy Cane Inn at Disneyland; February 2013 - BLT & Disney Dream & Beach Club Resort; May 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; September 2013 - Polynesian & Fantasy; October 2013 - Art of Animation; December 2013 - Old Key West; February 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; February - 2014 - Grand Californian; May 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic B2B, Bay Lake Towers; May 2014 - Wilderness Lodge for Star Wars Weekend; August 2014 - Old Key West, Beach Club Villas & Disney Dream
Goldeelox9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #30
clairedy6
Mouseketeer
 
clairedy6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 172

Your boys are so cute! This TR is making me really excited for my med cruise next month thanks so much for posting that pocket size train timetable in Rome, it'll really come in handy!
__________________


Our Magical Mediterranean Cruise Pre-Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3135693
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: