Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #226
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Good morning everyone. I have to go so some yoga but I wanted to make some comments while my computer is working right.

Pamela Congrats on the graduate. You have beautiful looking family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm glad to see I didn't totally kill the thread DS7 and I went to the movies & saw Epic. It was cute. And I managed to only eat a small bit of popcorn and NO candy!! On Mondays our theater has free small popcorn, so we each got one & we brought some home for DS10. I just got done walking with the dog, but we got cut short because of threatening looking rain clouds. I have to pick up DS10 at 4:30, grill chicken for salads, and go to a school board meeting at 7. Idk if other places are having issues with budgets, but PA cut funding to schools & our district is getting rid of programs & not replacing retiring teachers. It's a total uproar in our town & I'd like to go hear what they are saying. So, I'm off & I'll be back tonight.

Jill
I hope the school board meeting went well. I have seen too many good programs lost due to budget. It is really sad when education is being held hostage by politicians. You will see more and more of the older teachers retiring due to new things we are being held to. The schools are losing valuable educators that will be hard to replace if they do so at all.

Off to stretch my back

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #227
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Good morning everyone. I have to go so some yoga but I wanted to make some comments while my computer is working right.

Pamela Congrats on the graduate. You have beautiful looking family.

I hope the school board meeting went well. I have seen too many good programs lost due to budget. It is really sad when education is being held hostage by politicians. You will see more and more of the older teachers retiring due to new things we are being held to. The schools are losing valuable educators that will be hard to replace if they do so at all.

Off to stretch my back

Have a happy and healthy day.
I totally agree. The meeting was actually pretty uneventful. It's so sad how more & more is dumped on teachers every year. We have 3 elementary schools & they are cutting a phys Ed teacher. So last year our kids had gym every other week. This coming school year, the classroom teacher is responsible for gym class and there is no phys ed teacher for elementary at all. It's just too much. These same teachers have been on a pay freeze for 3 years.

The paperwork is starting to get to me. I swear Ieps have changed every year since I started. I have no time for teaching because I'm behavior tracking & progress monitoring! Ok...rant over

Hope you had a relaxing yoga session.

Jill
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #228
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Good morning! I think I killed the thread Hopefully everyone is just super busy. Here's your QOTD inspired by my cutting veggies this morning for grilled chicken salads for dinner tonight (to which DS7 informed me "I'm not a vegetarian, you know.")

What is your favorite vegetable? Do have a specific way you cook it or like it cooked? Do you have a recipe to share?

Jill
As a kid I used to hate vegetables. But my mother than figured out that I mainly hate cooked (and steamed vegetables). I love many when they are raw, grilled or baked. Favourite is difficult, but I would say all kinds of pumpkin and squash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Hello all sorry I feel off the face of the WISH boards.

I gained weight back and felt defeated. However, I am finally REALLY exercising to the point where I feel stronger.

Best wishes to all. Great pic pjlla!
Great to see you again!! And good to hear that you are feeling stronger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Here's the fam! Obviously DS on the left, DH, DD the graduate, and then the old lady on the right! We look pretty good, if I do say so myself! And somehow we managed to be fairly color coordinated!

Pam, this is a lovely family picture and you look fantastic in that dress!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
That would be great if you hosted for July, Magdalene! You might even want to change the title of this thread and kind of add July to what you already have and save yourself some time.

I am having a good OP week -- I need a strong finish for the end of this challenge for me. I'm already thinking of my vacation strategy and my goal which is to return home weighing the same as when I left. It is so hard to get this weight off and with Dumbo looming I need to drop new pounds, not old ones found on vacation.

Have a great day all!
Hmm, I think a new thread with the new goals is always nice to have! Otherwise it would have been a great suggestion.

Aren't you going on a cruise? That would be quite a challenge for me to not gain weight with all the free food there! But good luck with your goal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
I'm going to post my WOOHOO Wednesday early. Went to the chiropractor today and he asked how much I've lost. I told him I was stuck at 25 pounds, but as I laid on the table he said I could fit 2 of me in my pants, LOL. and they were my 14's. Guess I really need to go get some new jeans.

I also went for a walk today while DS16 ran with his friends. I stayed on the track at school and walked 4 miles. Did pretty good, my pace was 15:50. It was pretty hot though, so I didn't push as hard as I could have.
Monday we switch to early morning runs.
That's a great reason to go shopping and well done on the 4 miles in the heat!

Quote:
I totally agree. The meeting was actually pretty uneventful. It's so sad how more & more is dumped on teachers every year. We have 3 elementary schools & they are cutting a phys Ed teacher. So last year our kids had gym every other week. This coming school year, the classroom teacher is responsible for gym class and there is no phys ed teacher for elementary at all. It's just too much. These same teachers have been on a pay freeze for 3 years.

The paperwork is starting to get to me. I swear Ieps have changed every year since I started. I have no time for teaching because I'm behavior tracking & progress monitoring! Ok...rant over

Hope you had a relaxing yoga session.

Jill
This all sounds very depressing, I am very sorry to hear this!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #229
jillbur
DIS Veteran

QOTD Tuesday, June 18

What one piece of advice would you give a friend or family member who is just beginning a healthy lifestyle change?

I'll be on later for replies.

Jill

Last edited by jillbur; 06-18-2013 at 07:08 AM.
jillbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #230
Flossbolna

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, June 18

What one piece of advice would you give a friend or family member who is just beginning a healthy lifestyle change?

Jill
I think my advice would be to be honest with yourself and take the time to just journal for a few days what you normally eat and then look up the calories for every single thing. I think most people will be extremely surprised by how they collect calories so easily during the day without noticing it.

----

Had a stressful evening yesterday - did not manage to eat dinner until 9:30pm, so ended up having a handful of trail mix which cost me 3 points. But then got my act together and had a healthy dinner within my normal points. So in the end I had to use 3 points from my weekly extra. Even though I had sworn to myself that I would not use it at all this week. Still happy that it did not end in a situation where I would just eat the whole weekly extra out of frustration. Today I am well in my points, too. I managed to bring lunch to work. And I think in the future I really need to do that a few days per week in order to have better control.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 06-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #231
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

my advice would be to plan, plan realistically what you can do exercise-wise and also food wise....fail to plan = plan to fail!!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #232
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Lisa my goal is to find a 10K sometime in October or November. I'm hoping a Turkey Trot shows up somewhere. I've been keeping an eye on the bulletin boards at Starbucks and on Active.com, I need to head to the local running store though and see if they know of anything.
You might try this, Buffy. http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/...l=halfmarathon This link is for half marathons but you can change it to 10ks and 5ks and by location. My CT geography is not very good and I have no idea where Blink is. I have no doubt you will be ready and have a great race!

Dona, hope that the yoga went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Aren't you going on a cruise? That would be quite a challenge for me to not gain weight with all the free food there! But good luck with your goal!! :
Yes, I leave in one week! Maybe I am being unrealistic but all our excursions have a lot of walking and I have to keep up with my Dumbo training onboard. Luckily there are several of us doing Dumbo so it will be fun to train with people for a change. I'm going to try and be very smart about my choices while still having a good time. I may be nave but hopefully it will work.

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, June 18

Jill
It will take twice as long and be twice as hard as you think it will but if you are persistent and never give up it will be better than you ever dreamed it would be!

Quote:
Had a stressful evening yesterday - did not manage to eat dinner until 9:30pm, so ended up having a handful of trail mix which cost me 3 points. But then got my act together and had a healthy dinner within my normal points. So in the end I had to use 3 points from my weekly extra. Even though I had sworn to myself that I would not use it at all this week. Still happy that it did not end in a situation where I would just eat the whole weekly extra out of frustration. Today I am well in my points, too. I managed to bring lunch to work. And I think in the future I really need to do that a few days per week in order to have better control.
Sorry for the stressful day, Magdalene. My old WW leader suggested that sometimes it is helpful to change the 24 hours that you track. Instead of tracking for today, Tuesday, from midnight to 11:59 p.m. that you start say with dinner tonight, Tuesday, and then add breakfast and lunch for tomorrow, Wednesday. It is supposed to help you if you find yourself running out of points at the end of the day because it is supposedly easier to keep on track at breakfast and lunch. I may not be explaining it very well. I think it is called "walking your points." Doesn't that sound like more fun than plain old tracking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
my advice would be to plan, plan realistically what you can do exercise-wise and also food wise....fail to plan = plan to fail!!!!
Very good advice!

Last edited by lisah0711; 06-18-2013 at 12:59 PM.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #233
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
It said the video no longer exists. Any other ideas??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Here's the fam! Obviously DS on the left, DH, DD the graduate, and then the old lady on the right! We look pretty good, if I do say so myself! And somehow we managed to be fairly color coordinated!

Pam, that is one good looking family! And your kids are so tall!

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, June 18

Don't try to do everything at once. Just take it a meal at a time, an exercise at a time, a quarter mile at a time, etc, etc, etc... Hmm...maybe I should try taking my own advice once in a while!

Two weeks back at work and I'm STILL trying to catch up! No wonder I can't seem to get my act together food-wise!

So the "Break in the Tiki Bar" party takes place this Saturday. What the heck ever made us plan it less than a month after getting back from vacay?! We seem to have everything under control though, a chef friend is making a pulled pork shoulder (yuck!), my MIL is making sausage and meatballs, another friend of a friend is taking care of the bartending, and I think I've planned a pretty healthy menu otherwise...shrimp, fruit, and cheese platters, and the requisite junk food for the kids. I definitely plan on staying away from the nice, fatty, potato and pasta salads and sticking with my tossed salad. This will definitely be one heck a test of willpower. We're expecting about 60 people, YIKES!! I'm sure it will be a great time though, even if we do get rained on.

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #234
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If it is an exercise change, I would say that the most important thing to consider is a training goal, short term and long term, and a daily training plan to get there. Vague goals and no training plan = almost certain failure.

If it is a diet change, I would recommend a detailed daily food intake log. There are some great ones on the web that do most of the work for you, and they keep you honest and force you to consider the food you are about to eat, knowing it is going to have to be recorded in the log.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #235
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, June 18

Jill
I agree with most posters. Planning is they key. Plan your meals, plan your workouts. Plan for setbacks & plan for success!!

Quote:

I think my advice would be to be honest with yourself and take the time to just journal for a few days what you normally eat and then look up the calories for every single thing. I think most people will be extremely surprised by how they collect calories so easily during the day without noticing it.

----

I totally agree. When people get lax & stop counting points or calories, we lose track of just how much we are consuming.

Sorry you had a rough night. But, congrats on a healthy dinner & not overindulging because of hunger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Love this! I needed this reminder. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

Yes, I leave in one week! Maybe I am being unrealistic but all our excursions have a lot of walking and I have to keep up with my Dumbo training onboard. Luckily there are several of us doing Dumbo so it will be fun to train with people for a change. I'm going to try and be very smart about my choices while still having a good time. I may be nave but hopefully it will work.

It will take twice as long and be twice as hard as you think it will but if you are persistent and never give up it will be better than you ever dreamed it would be!
One week? Whoohoo! I hope you have an awesome time! Where are you headed?

Weight loss is definitely harder than it seems. Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post

Don't try to do everything at once. Just take it a meal at a time, an exercise at a time, a quarter mile at a time, etc, etc, etc... Hmm...maybe I should try taking my own advice once in a while!

Two weeks back at work and I'm STILL trying to catch up! No wonder I can't seem to get my act together food-wise!

So the "Break in the Tiki Bar" party takes place this Saturday. What the heck ever made us plan it less than a month after getting back from vacay?! We seem to have everything under control though, a chef friend is making a pulled pork shoulder (yuck!), my MIL is making sausage and meatballs, another friend of a friend is taking care of the bartending, and I think I've planned a pretty healthy menu otherwise...shrimp, fruit, and cheese platters, and the requisite junk food for the kids. I definitely plan on staying away from the nice, fatty, potato and pasta salads and sticking with my tossed salad. This will definitely be one heck a test of willpower. We're expecting about 60 people, YIKES!! I'm sure it will be a great time though, even if we do get rained on.
I love this question because sometimes we forget our own advice or need a reminder. Thanks!

I hope work gets back on track for you. It's tough when things get behind. Stay focused

Your party sounds like an awesome time. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post

If it is an exercise change, I would say that the most important thing to consider is a training goal, short term and long term, and a daily training plan to get there. Vague goals and no training plan = almost certain failure.

If it is a diet change, I would recommend a detailed daily food intake log. There are some great ones on the web that do most of the work for you, and they keep you honest and force you to consider the food you are about to eat, knowing it is going to have to be recorded in the log.
You have some very sound advice. Specific goals are always better than "exercise & eat healthy." That's why I love this thread & the monthly exercise one. It helps us set clear goals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so glad I asked this question. I think I needed to read all the answers & reevaluate my exercise & eating habits. Thank you to everyone for all the advice. I think it inspires others whether they are active in the conversation or just "lurkers" who read but do not post. In fact, if there are any lurkers out there, jump in! We don't bite...I swear!!

Need to vent for a minute...last month a cat had kittens under our mudroom (in our fenced in back yard where our 55 lb Australian Cattle Dog has a doggie door & comes & goes as she pleases). So, we brought them into our screened in back porch on our second floor so they would be safe. We've had them for about 5-6 weeks now. I found homes for 2 kittens so I have the mom & 1 kitten left. No one will take these cats Every shelter & rescue we called said they are not accepting cats. Our option is to pay to spay them & they can roam our neighborhood or drop them off at a rescue that will just euthanize them I understand there is an over population of cats, but we tried to do a good thing & support these cats. Ugh. I can't keep either because our dog isn't doing well with them. We've tried to introduce them, and I'm worried about the kitten still being too little & the mom scratching my dog. I'm just frustrated that no one can help us. And DSs want them to go to good homes. Ok...rant over.

Sorry I rambled there I'm off to upload some pics to Walgreens & watch a movie with DSs. I'll be back later to check in.

Jill
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #236
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Happy Hump Day!! Whoop! QOTD Wednesday, June 19:

It's Whoohoo Wednesday! Share something that you are celebrating today, this week, or even this month

Jill
Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #237
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:

It's Whoohoo Wednesday! Share something that you are celebrating today, this week, or even this month

Jill
My MIAMI HEAT winning game 6 of the NBA Finals in overtime!!!!!! (Can you tell I'm excited??)

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #238
Flossbolna

Seems like we have gone into some sort of hibernation on this thread...

QOTD:

I will be celebrating on Friday morning when I hand the responsibility of being on call over to another colleague and won't have to think about it anymore for about a year of so!

Jill, so sorry about the kitties. What a shame!! I hope you will still be able to find a solution!!

And congratulations to your team Kim!!

It is extremely hot here (93 F) and I am just melting, there nearly is no air conditioning anywhere here and most definitely not in my office. Am considering to head to Starbucks after work as they have air conditioning!! At least all this heat does not make me hungry at all! And I am making sure that I am drinking a lot. Yesterday I had at least three litres of water. Just because it was so nice to have something refreshing.

On Friday the weather is supposed to cool down - and of course instead of normal nice summer weather which would be around 80 it goes down to the 60s again...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #239
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, June 18

Jill
It's a marathon--not a sprint. There are going to be up days and down days. Days when you want to quit and throw in the towel. You don't have to be perfect, just keep trying.

Quote:

Jill
hmmm.....still here and haven't thrown in the towel. Best I could do today.

Have a great Wednesday!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #240
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
It said the video no longer exists. Any other ideas??
I was able to get it to work just now, maybe try again.

If not, I will send you my email address later today. And I'll put it on my photobucket.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: