Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #91
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
None. That is absurd.
I think that you are responding to the comment that those protesting the termination of the teacher should financially support the school.

I agree that the notion is absurd, who would do that? But.....the students at this private school are not locked into that school. They can go anywhere, and student census is what supports the school and the staff. If enough parents decided that the situation was out of their comfort zone, and removed their children that school would be financially challenged.

My niece is the director at a Christian all year preschool. When she came on she was shocked at the financial status of that school, the Church was supporting it almost completely, because student census was so low, in part becasue the core curriculum was appalling. She had been asked to turn it around or the school would close. I realize that this is an entirely different situation, but the money is not. Most Catholic schools are funded only in part by tuition, the diocese pays the difference. If the school loses too much money, it closes. In my State many fine schools have been forced to close and those that remain open are struggling. It is very easy for those of us who are not in the middle of this to say the situation is not fair, the teacher should remain, the school should just manage. This school may be just managing as it is. If they lost even a small percentage of their student population, that may be what drives the decision to close.

What the poster was trying to say is that if as a society, we should be willing to pay for the decisions we want to make.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #92
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I haven't read anything that gave the impression that they're still involved romantically or personally. They have kids together, and often that's a perfect excuse for abusers to continue their intimidation/manipulations... one that is, sadly, frequently enabled by courts that care more about a father's rights than an abuse victim's well being.
She doesn't need to be involved in any way, shape or form, even if they have children. This can be handled by a third party.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #93
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
My DH and I have had this very discussion, and it extends to gun control. Makes for an interesting conversation

I don't know what the answer is, and I honestly cannot say what I would do. It is funny because DH and I have turned out to be the very bane of my DD's existence. We are those GP's whose rules changed the second we were gifted with our DGD. We were never overprotective when our own were growing up. So, I see this through different eyes, I think. DH and I would wrap Kady in a bubble

I do think that school systems are between a rock and a hard place because if there is a threat...and this guy did present a visible problem post Sandy Hook....what do they do? What is the balance between reactive and proactive? Suppose they kept the teacher on, tried to make appropriate measures to keep everyone safe and the unthinkable happened. What would this conversation be? So this system erred on the side of caution. Unfortunately, considering this was a private school that needs to ensure paying student to remain viable, (and I bet you a buck there were may promises to remove students if this teacher remained) this school might have had no choice financially.

In a public school system the choice may not have been the same, but the meeting would have been interesting to say the least.
I know. I don't think that gun control is the only, or right, answer, necessarily. There are so many facets to it.

Around here there were threats at some of the schools. They went around to see which schools they could actually "get into" as non-school personnel. Some were far better locked down than others. (Some actually are still keeping back doors open and such in warm weather!) So there's room for improvement with that, alone. At minimum, schools need to be locked tight, ideally with electronic surveillance and direct lines to police depts, etc. Perhaps guards as well. (Yeah, I know these all take money. I saw on the news a school in Boston which still has a fire system in place - with bells - from 1910 or something ridiculous like that! And maybe some disagree with that type of school environment, I don't know.)

If you google "school safety", there is a lot of activity and legislation moving forward to help keep schools safe. It's, unfortunately, something we have to learn to live with today; something we all need to be concerned about. (And who would've thought it would be an issue in theaters, too??)

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #94
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
I think that you are responding to the comment that those protesting the termination of the teacher should financially support the school.

I agree that the notion is absurd, who would do that? But.....the students at this private school are not locked into that school. They can go anywhere, and student census is what supports the school and the staff. If enough parents decided that the situation was out of their comfort zone, and removed their children that school would be financially challenged.

My niece is the director at a Christian all year preschool. When she came on she was shocked at the financial status of that school, the Church was supporting it almost completely, because student census was so low, in part becasue the core curriculum was appalling. She had been asked to turn it around or the school would close. I realize that this is an entirely different situation, but the money is not. Most Catholic schools are funded only in part by tuition, the diocese pays the difference. If the school loses too much money, it closes. In my State many fine schools have been forced to close and those that remain open are struggling. It is very easy for those of us who are not in the middle of this to say the situation is not fair, the teacher should remain, the school should just manage. This school may be just managing as it is. If they lost even a small percentage of their student population, that may be what drives the decision to close.

What the poster was trying to say is that if as a society, we should be willing to pay for the decisions we want to make.
Exactly. I wasn't trying to say people have to write checks because they have an opinion. My point was that it's easy to sit there and make these grand statements about the right thing to do. Meanwhile the school, if they made that decision, might end up closing because of it.

It's easy to say they should do this or they should do that when it doesn't affect OUR bottom line.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #95
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
She doesn't need to be involved in any way, shape or form, even if they have children. This can be handled by a third party.
I guess I don't know how these things work, but why would someone with a 20 year history of domestic violence (as was posted earlier in the thread) and who got a protective order issued against him, still be allowed to have anything to do with his young children?
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #96
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutotek View Post
I suspect that those who are criticizing the school for it's actions are the same type that would be the first to sue if their child was enrolled at that school and the husband's violence had escalated to include the staff and student body.
No. I would just deal with the husband instead.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #97
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
Exactly. I wasn't trying to say people have to write checks because they have an opinion. My point was that it's easy to sit there and make these grand statements about the right thing to do. Meanwhile the school, if they made that decision, might end up closing because of it.

It's easy to say they should do this or they should do that when it doesn't affect OUR bottom line.
Or when our children don't actually attend this school.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #98
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison443 View Post
I guess I don't know how these things work, but why would someone with a 20 year history of domestic violence (as was posted earlier in the thread) and who got a protective order issued against him, still be allowed to have anything to do with his young children?
I have no idea, what's in the court documents, so I can't even speculate.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #99
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post

And this is exactly what makes their actions so completely hypocritical.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #100
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I would be surprised if there are many schools out there that haven't had some sort of threat - or will.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #101
TLSnell1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
And this is exactly what makes their actions so completely hypocritical.
How?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #102
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

No school can guarantee safety. I am a police dispatcher and I work in a building with security doors, video cameras, and blast proof glass... with armed officers all over..... but no one can guarantee my safety even here. Although our schools SHOULD be safe, no one can guarantee they are. And just because one person's ex caused a lockdown, there is no way to guarantee that getting rid of that person is going to eliminate all threats. There may be other employees with potentially violent spouses too. You just never know.

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #103
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
How?
Trying not to get points. Teachings and expectations for others, yet they are not holding themselves to the same standards.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #104
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It can be, but that is often easier said than done. Someone needs to pick up the costs if it is an uninvolved third party, and courts in my area seem loathe to do that if both parents are financially stressed. And if an involved third party is used no-shows, other obligations, and the biases of that person tend to muck things up.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #105
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten6mom View Post
No school can guarantee safety. I am a police dispatcher and I work in a building with security doors, video cameras, and blast proof glass... with armed officers all over..... but no one can guarantee my safety even here. Although our schools SHOULD be safe, no one can guarantee they are. And just because one person's ex caused a lockdown, there is no way to guarantee that getting rid of that person is going to eliminate all threats. There may be other employees with potentially violent spouses too. You just never know.
Of course it doesn't eliminate all threats but it got rid of one definite one!

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: