Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Fenten
Earning My Ears

Best dining rotation with young kids?

Just looking for some thoughts on which is the best restaurant on Fanstasy (Western) to keep young children entertained. Ny kids will be 4 and 7 when we cruise and dinner time at home can be trying at best. Wondering if I should request RAERAAE so we could eat at Anaimator's 3 times and perhps the kids would enjoy that place the best. Just looking to get through a meal with the least amount of squirming and complaining that it is taking too long.

Thoughts?
Serenade of the Seas - January 2006
Navigator of the Seas - May 2003
Fenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
ladyj0212
"Dream"ing of Disney Cruise

If you are looking to dine with least amount of fuss, then I would recommend the second seating. They will bring the kids meals out quickly and then the kids club counselors come to the restaurants and pick up all of the children to take them back to the oceanears club/lab so the children can play. You get the best of both worlds. The kids can enjoy the restaurants, then they can go play so they are not bored with a multi-hour dinner.

Also. I completely agree. A dining rotation with about 3 times in Animators would be the best way to go as well. that is the best restaurant in keeping children entertained. Colorful, and a show.

DCL Trips:
September 11th, 2011
"Dream" * March 4th, 2010"Wonder" * February 11th, 2006 "Magic" * February 17th, 2005 "Wonder"
Disney World Trips:
Too many to count
ladyj0212 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
2prettygirl
Mouseketeer

I personally have not been on the ship YET but looking at the restaurants, they all look to be great for kid entertainment!!
Old 06-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They will bring the kids meals out quickly and then the kids club counselors come to the restaurants and pick up all of the children to take them back to the oceanears club/lab so the children can play.
A note about this I didn't know.

You have to tell your servers that you want this. And you have to take your kids outside the restaurant; the counselors don't come in.

I had no idea about this, and ended up being really disappointed because as far as I could tell, this wasn't happening (yes we had second seating), and only found out after we got home that it was MY responsibility to let the servers know and to take him to meet the counselors.

That said, I didn't even remember that such a thing existed the first night, because we were having a nice time at dinner. I think it was at one point during the second evening that I thought "hey wait a minute", but again, we were having a nice time.

At AP (on the Dream) we were seated away from the screens, so we weren't interacted with, but it was still nice to see the things around us. DS likes eating, so that generally makes him happy at dinnertime, and there are so many people around to watch, and things to talk about, we never really felt he had to be entertained (though he was 8 for the cruise, so older than your kids).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I think the Rotation you picked which puts you in the AP 3 times is the best as it has the Animation which would keep them happy. Remember its not definate that you will get the Rotation as we can only put in the request.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenten View Post
Just looking for some thoughts on which is the best restaurant on Fanstasy (Western) to keep young children entertained. Ny kids will be 4 and 7 when we cruise and dinner time at home can be trying at best. Wondering if I should request RAERAAE so we could eat at Anaimator's 3 times and perhps the kids would enjoy that place the best. Just looking to get through a meal with the least amount of squirming and complaining that it is taking too long.

Thoughts?
DCL reservations are inundated with special requests for dining rotations, table size and location, preferred servers etc. You can make the request, and you may get all, some or none. There are 2 shows in AP. I can't remember for the life of me if they did the Crush show both nights or if they just had the screens in "aquarium" mode on the animation magic night until that show started. The youth counselors will come and collect the kids during 2nd seating and take them to the Club/Lab for you. My son turned down dessert on the Magic (nightly) just so he could get to the Club/Lab sooner.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

The AP dinner show would only be done once even though you would be seated there three times. The other nights would be the themes (i.e. pirate night) and no Crush show.

What works for us is telling our dining team to have DD's meal rushed out so she eats while we order/ eat apps and then one of us brings her to the nursery/ club around 6:00- 6:15ish. Then the other one of us brings her back for dessert. For us main dinner works best since she has a full tummy and then we can enjoy the show.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
VAB2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa S View Post
The AP dinner show would only be done once even though you would be seated there three times. The other nights would be the themes (i.e. pirate night) and no Crush show.

What works for us is telling our dining team to have DD's meal rushed out so she eats while we order/ eat apps and then one of us brings her to the nursery/ club around 6:00- 6:15ish. Then the other one of us brings her back for dessert. For us main dinner works best since she has a full tummy and then we can enjoy the show.
We asked for our son's meal to be brought out quickly on night 2 of our recent Dream cruise and were told by our server it wasn't possible. Not sure if the server didn't want to accommodate us or what but it didn't work out for us the one night we asked.
VAB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
amyh13
Mouseketeer

Maybe I am a bad parent but I am planning to let the kids eat in each of the restaurants once but after that, I am planning to take advantage of the dinner served in the club for the kids (unless they really enjoy it and behave). We already have the late seating (not by choice) which is going to be rough with a 4 and 8 yo. We recently sailed on another cruise line and the kids loved eating dinner with the other kids and were miserable in the dining room. My husband and I got to go on a date 5 times in one week!
amyh13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyh13 View Post
Maybe I am a bad parent but I am planning to let the kids eat in each of the restaurants once but after that, I am planning to take advantage of the dinner served in the club for the kids (unless they really enjoy it and behave). We already have the late seating (not by choice) which is going to be rough with a 4 and 8 yo. We recently sailed on another cruise line and the kids loved eating dinner with the other kids and were miserable in the dining room. My husband and I got to go on a date 5 times in one week!
Have you wait listed for main dining? Do that if you haven't already, then also go and ask once onboard.
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
VAB2013
Earning My Ears

Hi Amy, we're in Marietta. I see you are in Decatur. We were wait listed for main dining on our recent cruise but still got it. If you want main dining, it can't hurt to get wait listed.
VAB2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
amyh13
Mouseketeer

We are wait listed and I hope it will work out. I know this is not a popular sentiment on this board but my husband and I both work full time and honestly Disney is not my favorite place. My sister has lived in Orlando for 25 years and I have been to disney twice. However, we like to cruise, it is in driving distance, and I know my kids will LOVE it so we are going and I know it will be a wonderful experience.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
amyh13
Mouseketeer

Sorry to continue but in the spirit of vacation, I feel that if I have breakfast, lunch, shore excursions and shows/movies with the family, then I do not feel guilty having a few hour alone as adults is a bad thing.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Wshop
Mouseketeer

I have done the second seating with ...you read it 6 boys aged 4-7 in our group. Let me tell you, the rotation does not matter, pick the one you like. Just have the servers feed them right away and then you or your husband run the kids up to the kids' club. We did Dine and play and it was great with the second seating but even then one of us would volunteer on some nights to take the natives (aka as dear boys) up to the Kids' club at about the 30 minute mark on several nights. It takes less than 5 minutes and we did it in between the app and dinner. You will be surprised that the kids will behave better than you think and the servers keep them occupied but our servers (bless them) just got their food out fast!
Wshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAB2013 View Post
We asked for our son's meal to be brought out quickly on night 2 of our recent Dream cruise and were told by our server it wasn't possible. Not sure if the server didn't want to accommodate us or what but it didn't work out for us the one night we asked.
We had the same issue. On our first cruise I asked for the food to be brought out quickly for the boys, and it happened. On our last cruise, we had the same server but we couldn't get the food fast enough.

I started to even order the evening before so they knew exactly what we wanted for the kids, but to no avail. At best it came out after 30 minutes, and most times we were seated for an hour before our 3 & 4 year olds ate. Not ideal. We tried coming later to dinner, but it didn't help much.

I wish you better luck!

beaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: