Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #121
Phil Dunphy
Go Carolina Rams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~See this is my point. We don't know if Star Wars land will be an automatic "success." Are the lines wrapped around the corner for Star Tours??? I think not. I've been going to Disney for a long time and I have never seen a line for Star Tours -- not ever. And, it's one of my favorite rides @ DHS. There are so many other variables to take into consideration, mainly the budget and the quality of the attractions. Just because it's "Star Wars" doesn't lead me to assume it will be an instant hit with the masses.
I thought I read that the star wars ride can take stupid numbers of people. Would that help keep lines short?
Phil Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #122
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Dunphy View Post
I thought I read that the star wars ride can take stupid numbers of people. Would that help keep lines short?
Yes, it can handle a fair number of people and I have stood in line for a LONG time. It is my favorite ride.

And Star Wars will be almost automatically successful. The fan base is huge and covers all age ranges, including my son and I.

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #123
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
I think people can easily tell the difference between the confirmation given by a few CM's and the confirmation given by an official Disney press conference. It is all symantics.
Not in a thread title.

Quote:
Yes...Star Tours can handle a lot of people, and they can vary the capacity by reducing the number of simulators in use.

Even during Star Wars Weekends, the lines were manageable even when it actually reached outside and around the Endor set, when they had all six simulators running.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #124
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I can see that being a one & done attraction, but then again I could see that with most of DHS

I do think some folks have made interesting points about Avatar. Though a really great visual film, it doesn't have a cult-like following the way Star Wars does. It too is a one & done for most people. So, will be interesting to see the response.
The *movie* Avatar might be a "one and done" for many people, but the *attractions* will likely be something else entirely. My kids have never seen Song of the South but you can bet we're gonna ride Splash over and over again.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #125
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

I'm starting to think we really need a sticky thread here to warn posters...anything coming from general cast members, bus drivers, etc. are treated as rumors until confirmed by statements or press releases from the executives, and posts should not state they are confirmed unless backed by those sources.
Do we really need that level of disclaimers on a board entitled "Disney Rumors and News?" I mean, let's get right down to brass tacks, nothing is "official" until someone cuts a ribbon and walks through the gate on opening day.

Looks like a respectable regular press source - not a blog (?) - is putting his byline on a story stating that SW/Cars lands are real and going to happen. Until we start seeing LMA and or Backlot bulldozed (and not a moment too soon), that's as close to "official" as we're going to get unless and until Iger himself has a press conference. And even that isn't lead-pipe-cinch until - guess what - someone cuts the ribbon and walk through the gate on opening day.

The semantics wars on a rumor board and what's a rumor is, as Spock might say, "Fascinating."
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #126
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
Do we really need that level of disclaimers on a board entitled "Disney Rumors and News?" I mean, let's get right down to brass tacks, nothing is "official" until someone cuts a ribbon and walks through the gate on opening day.

Looks like a respectable regular press source - not a blog (?) - is putting his byline on a story stating that SW/Cars lands are real and going to happen. Until we start seeing LMA and or Backlot bulldozed (and not a moment too soon), that's as close to "official" as we're going to get unless and until Iger himself has a press conference. And even that isn't lead-pipe-cinch until - guess what - someone cuts the ribbon and walk through the gate on opening day.

The semantics wars on a rumor board and what's a rumor is, as Spock might say, "Fascinating."
Apparently around here, we do. Because a lot of people are going to these "official" and "confirmed" threads and only finding rumors.

Or, we need to separate news and rumors into separate forums. But then we'd still have to teach which is which.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #127
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Apparently around here, we do. Because a lot of people are going to these "official" and "confirmed" threads and only finding rumors.

Or, we need to separate news and rumors into separate forums. But then we'd still have to teach which is which.
And isn't it the responsibility of the reader to lend proper credence to ANY information, regardless of post title, to a board specifically chartered to hold "rumors?" I mean, isn't the ultimate essence of the Internet to be a source for the perpetuation of rumors, hence the existence of a place like snopes.com?

I guess my point is that the Internet, in and of itself, isn't authoritative. More disclaimers to that effect won't help the folks who can't already make that distinction. Besides, if you create a truly "news only" board, it will have to be a moderated board with only reposts from "official" news sources.

The point is this is an Internet message forum posted to hold "Rumors." A message saying "Hey, stuff here may be rumors" is the essence of redundancy. No one should be taking anything from an Internet message board to the bank, excepting for a link to a legitimate news source, or at a minimum some reputable 'net bloggers who put their name/reputation behind what they post.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #128
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post
The point is this is an Internet message forum posted to hold "Rumors." A message saying "Hey, stuff here may be rumors" is the essence of redundancy. No one should be taking anything from an Internet message board to the bank, excepting for a link to a legitimate news source, or at a minimum some reputable 'net bloggers who put their name/reputation behind what they post.
But it is also purported to hold "News" as well.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #129
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
But it is also purported to hold "News" as well.
And that is where you read it and determine whether it is news or rumor by whatever criteria you choose.

Of course it could be news about rumors, or maybe rumors about news. I guess it could be rumors about rumors or news about news, too. Maybe even rumors about news about rumors, or...

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland for 1 day while in the US Navy
1981-1983 Several 1 day visits while living in Orlando
1984- 1996 Several one and two day visits while visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - ?
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #130
DPCummerbund
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
And that is where you read it and determine whether it is news or rumor by whatever criteria you choose.
It's not a matter of believing the post - it's a matter of believing the title, only to find out that the post doesn't say what the title says.
DPCummerbund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #131
Mickeywdw1254
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

That is NOT how Disney runs their ship. Key difference.
Is there a press release that confirms that that is not how Disney runs their ship? Who is to say how Disney runs their ship let alone they might run it one way but who is to say there aren't employees who blab anyway whether it be on purpose or by accident.
Mickeywdw1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #132
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeywdw1254 View Post

Is there a press release that confirms that that is not how Disney runs their ship? Who is to say how Disney runs their ship let alone they might run it one way but who is to say there aren't employees who blab anyway whether it be on purpose or by accident.
Observation has shown over the years that Disney remains secretive at the high levels about new expansions. Front line cast members, historically, don't find out until minutes before we the public do about any changes (unless its something being implemented right away that they need to be trained on).
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #133
Mickeywdw1254
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDan523

Observation has shown over the years that Disney remains secretive at the high levels about new expansions. Front line cast members, historically, don't find out until minutes before we the public do about any changes (unless its something being implemented right away that they need to be trained on).
So if Disney is so secretive (not saying they aren't) that only the executives and high level CM can know about things what is the point of a rumor forum especially since I'm sure the Disney executives don't come on here to post rumors? Where else would a semi legitimate or legitimate rumor about Disney come from?
Mickeywdw1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #134
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeywdw1254 View Post

So if Disney is so secretive (not saying they aren't) that only the executives and high level CM can know about things what is the point of a rumor forum especially since I'm sure the Disney executives don't come on here to post rumors? Where else would a semi legitimate or legitimate rumor about Disney come from?
Most come from speculation based on the few bits of information released to shareholders, on filings for permits, or on things we can see happening.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #135
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
~If you or anyone can find where you read this, pass it along because I find it interesting. We go in late August, and the parks are lighter in crowds than average but TSMM, TOT, RNRC, even the The Backstage Tour and Muppets 3D had longer waits, so I've always wondered why Star Tours seems so unpopular. The only other rides that I've seen that empty are Nemo and The People Mover and those are also huge people eaters, so you might be on to something.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: