Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Shelli_5
Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!

Quick Service versus Table Service Dining: Please Help Me Decide

During past trips, I've always eaten at one table service restaurant per day, usually for dinner. I'm thinking about sticking to quick service during my upcoming solo trip in October to save money & avoid wasting food. (I had weight loss surgery last year & still can't eat very much.) I also think that having the flexibility to eat when I'm hungry instead of when I have an ADR will be a good thing. I just worry about the quality & variety of food choices at quick service locations. And it's weird to think about doing things differently this time & wondering if I'll be happy. I would love some feedback from people who have done both types of eating during their trips.

Thanks,
Shelli
Dec 2004 - Shades of Green
Sept 2005 - Pop Century
Feb 2011 - Shades of Green
Oct 2013 - Coronado Springs
Shelli_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

I eat mostly quick service on my trips, with about three or four table service meals on an eight-day trip. I almost every breakfast in my room (cereal, fruit, etc.), which saves both money and time. I find there are lots of CS restaurants to choose from at most of the parks and at DTD. Food is not a huge focus on my trips,a d I think CS meals are just fine for the most part!

And t's nice not to be tied to a bunch of table-serice reservations!

Last edited by ZoZo; 06-16-2013 at 09:36 PM.
ZoZo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

Maybe just make a couple of reservations for your trip. Not everyday.
BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
darnheather
DIS Veteran

You could go off the meal plan all together and make a couple of ADR's or try walking up to table service and just eat an appetizer and dessert or something like that if you want more variety.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
CdnKayDee
Kim & Danelle

No worries. I spend just as much time looking at QS menus as I do table service because we love both. We have must do QS places we love but no must do table service. The quality of the food is pretty consistent but I wouldn't go to a value resort for breakfast. There is lots of variety.Stick with your plan and spend more time in the parks.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

There is a ton of variety at the CS restaurants, it's all I can do to fit in one burger all week long.

You can always plan of CS locations and then add in a sit down or two when you are there. There is always Tutto Gusto in Epcot (no adrs), and some TS locations have bars when you can sit. There are also lounges in the deluxe resorts that serve food.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

As many of the PPs have stated, there is plenty of variety in the QS restaurants at WDW. Spend some time looking at the menus to familiarize yourself with the offerings that most appeal to you. We usually do at least one QS meal per day and never have the same meal twice (unless we want to).

I would also suggest that you do the disney math and see if you wouldn't be better off just paying OOP. Especially after bariatric surgery, when you will be eating very limited portions of food. Even QS portions can be huge.

Make a few TS reservations if you want, but probably stay away from the buffets and all you can eat places. At the a la carte restaurants you can just order an appetizer or a small entree and not worry about the money you'd be wasting if on a dining plan.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

We do quick service 99.9% of the time.

There are a lot of choices out there. I was going to list some of them but I could probably make a shorter list of the places that only have burgers and fries.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Something to keep in mind is that the bars at the deluxe resorts allow you to order food and they're walk-up seating. You can order an appetizer instead of a meal but still have the "feel" of a TS meal and flexibility of no ADRs. It's easy to pop over to one of the Monorail resorts on a MK day or a Crescent Lake resort on a DHS or Epcot day.

On an Epcot day I'd probably actually check out some of the food around the World Showcase. You can grab things like egg rolls, sushi, bratwurst, tacos and other non-meal foods that are savory. In MK you can also get egg rolls, roasted nuts, baked sweet potatoes and chili at some of the snack stands. In AK at Yak & Yeti you can get things like a container of fried rice or other small asian dishes at their to go counter. At DHS I'd probably book an ADR at a restaurant that has appetizers that look interesting like maybe the crab cakes at DHS. Don't forget about fruit.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli_5 View Post
During past trips, I've always eaten at one table service restaurant per day, usually for dinner. I'm thinking about sticking to quick service during my upcoming solo trip in October to save money & avoid wasting food. (I had weight loss surgery last year & still can't eat very much.) I also think that having the flexibility to eat when I'm hungry instead of when I have an ADR will be a good thing. I just worry about the quality & variety of food choices at quick service locations. And it's weird to think about doing things differently this time & wondering if I'll be happy. I would love some feedback from people who have done both types of eating during their trips.

Thanks,
Shelli
For a 10 day trip we normally do 3-4 ADRs (lunch or dinner depending). On days we have an ADR we don't eat much else. If we have a big lunch we might snack in the evening if we are hungry. If we have a big dinner we eat a light lunch in anticipation of the big dinner. On other days we do a combo of quick service and snacks (or order room service pizza). We certainly eat good and don't go hungry. We don't really like to be tied down to ADRs and like to go with the flow. This plan has worked great for us

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas

P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Shelli_5
Wants a Haunted Mansion Dooney & Bourke purse!

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! I never thought about ordering an appetizer at a deluxe resort's bar. That would give me both flexibility & something good to eat. Your posts have encouraged me to "think outside the box" on this trip. I really appreciate it.

Shelli
Dec 2004 - Shades of Green
Sept 2005 - Pop Century
Feb 2011 - Shades of Green
Oct 2013 - Coronado Springs
Shelli_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

On our first two family trips (7 days long) we did the quick service dining plan with no ADR's. WE LOVED IT! We had lots of flexibility to park hop and eat and do whatever we wanted without worrying about reservations.

On our third trip (12 days long) we did the TS dining plan with an ADR everyday. WE LOVED IT! We toured differently and slower and did not get park hoppers.

So there you have it! We love both!
Try just the quick service plan. It's terrific and I found we really stuffed ourselves too much with the TS ADR's.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I don't make ADRs for every day during my trips anymore. For a 10 day trip I'll have about 4 or 5. There are lots of quick dining places where you can get good food. Columbia Harbor House is a favorite, Pecos Bills too. Epcot has plenty of choices and Animal Kingdom has several good options.

You'll be fine..have a good trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: