Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #136
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Wow, I had no idea. We sailed on the Fantasy last summer and I never paid any attention to the H2O products, probably because dh uses dandruff shampoo and my two dd's have very long thick hair and those little bottles are never enough so we take big bottles with us.

But, now, oh boy, I'm going to pay attention, especially that body butter/lotion thing!
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #137
fairfax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz

I hope you called housekeeping at that point - they are supposed to keep your room looking like the day you entered it - stocked. Families with several heads of long hair will go through several bottles of conditioner per day.

I've found this thread kind of interesting. Mostly because its yet another thread of one group of people trying to lord over others actions and decisions. Aren't vacations to get away from the stress?
No, I am a non-confrontational person (some would say "wimp") so I just let it go. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner, my kids and husband were the ones using it. They just used mine the rest of the cruise.

These threads seem to be for the purpose of making some people feel superior. I am a live and let live sort (again, some would say "wimp" lol)
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #138
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicketts View Post
One last comment before I abandon this thread. The title of this thread is the thing that got me the most. Hogging? Are people going without? Three exclamation points at the end? Are you really in that much of a rage?
Would it surprise you that DCL actually knows that people take some extra home and they LIKE that? It keeps their brand before you and even makes you long to take another cruise.
Actually, the title was meant to be a fun play on words, but again, sarcasm is lost somewhere out there in the internets.

Although, I think you're taking a logical leap in your assumption that they "like" it.

And yes, the way I've heard some people describing their toiletry hoarding, I would describe it as hogging.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #139
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyltd View Post
No need to feel guilty about taking the stuff at all. They know that people take stuff home and factor it in.
Sadly, they do know that some people will hide full or partially used bottles so they can get more and take them all home. Unfortunately, they do have to factor that in their prices.

So simple. The products are provided for your use in the cabin. Hiding a full one in your drawers/luggage so you can have extras to take home is wrong. That's why you're hiding it.

Inexpensive for Disney, of course. Do they expect that some people will do that, yes. Lots of people do it, yes. Not as dishonest as stealing other things, such as silverware, I guess there are degrees of dishonesty. A small thing in the big scheme, yes. Plenty of reasonable sounding rationalizations for getting extras to take home.

Would we take home a partially used tube instead of throwing it away? I think so, though not yet. Would we figure out some way to get extras to take home? Of course not. Disney bends over backward to treat us right, and we try our best to return the favor and mutual respect.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #140
ranidayz
DIS Veteran is a....... Caribbean Amphibian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax View Post

No, I am a non-confrontational person (some would say "wimp") so I just let it go. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner, my kids and husband were the ones using it. They just used mine the rest of the cruise.

These threads seem to be for the purpose of making some people feel superior. I am a live and let live sort (again, some would say "wimp" lol)
I understand not wanting to 'rock the boat.'
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #141
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
Sadly, they do know that some people will hide full or partially used bottles so they can get more and take them all home. Unfortunately, they do have to factor that in their prices.

So simple. The products are provided for your use in the cabin. Hiding a full one in your drawers/luggage so you can have extras to take home is wrong. That's why you're hiding it.

Inexpensive for Disney, of course. Do they expect that some people will do that, yes. Lots of people do it, yes. Not as dishonest as stealing other things, such as silverware, I guess there are degrees of dishonesty. A small thing in the big scheme, yes. Plenty of reasonable sounding rationalizations for getting extras to take home.

Would we take home a partially used tube instead of throwing it away? I think so, though not yet. Would we figure out some way to get extras to take home? Of course not. Disney bends over backward to treat us right, and we try our best to return the favor and mutual respect.
Awesome post!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #142
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Dang, Iím still trying to decide to take a DCL cruise and when. If we do take a DCL cruise one day, Iíll have to check this stuff out. My daughter and I have long thick hair and if it is the same size as at the resorts, we would use a whole tube on one wash, but need to shampoo after each visit to the pool. My son uses a special shampoo for dry scalp. My children have really dry skin as well so we usually bring our own of everything in larger quantities. This stuff must be awesome though.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #143
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Long thick hair has its own characteristics that require specialized product -- I would still haul my own stuff, and if the H2O products work, fine, but if not, you'll have your own tried and true reliable shampoo and conditioner. H20 is good quality, but that doesn't mean I'll abandon my own shampoo (dry scalp.)

In addition to being in chlorinated pool water and salt water, when you cruise you also have to deal with humidity, so any hair product that you know will tame the long locks, bring it!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #144
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
Dang, Iím still trying to decide to take a DCL cruise and when. If we do take a DCL cruise one day, Iíll have to check this stuff out. My daughter and I have long thick hair and if it is the same size as at the resorts, we would use a whole tube on one wash, but need to shampoo after each visit to the pool. My son uses a special shampoo for dry scalp. My children have really dry skin as well so we usually bring our own of everything in larger quantities. This stuff must be awesome though.
You might be surprised. I thought the shampoo was not great. It made my hair feel dry and the conditioner actually seemed to make my daughter's hair more tangled and frizzy. We're going to bring our own shampoo next time.

I will however continue to take the lotion because I am classless and immature and without people like me the non-lotion-takers will have no one to feel superior to.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

Old 06-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #145
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Ummmmm...

IMHO.... If they did not want you to take the little bottles, they would simply install a wall dispenser...

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Old 06-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #146
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjje View Post
I will however continue to take the lotion because I am classless and immature and without people like me the non-lotion-takers will have no one to feel superior to.

Heading away for the weekend, can't wait to see what sort of products the hotel has so I can hog them, if they're any good I'll be sure to add them to my collection at bring home

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #147
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

I am guilty, there I said it. However, when at least on 4 or 5 occasions out of 13 cruises on DCL when the stateroom host or hostess offers to give us extra is that stealing? They pay peanuts for the stuff. There's a little inside joke in our family that's it's time for another cruise when we're almost out of shampoo.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #148
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

LOL. Just so everyone knows, now H2O ads are showing up at the top of my DIS page. So, I think this debate is actually helping them sell product. Everybody wins!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #149
becpee
I see sock puppets

I've used this thread to introduce my DH to The Dis.

He's found this thoroughly educational and extremely entertaining

As you were

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #150
Dizpinfriend
Sarcasm, just another free service I offer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax View Post
I never get extras either One time I asked because we ran out, stateroom host said "it is available for purchase in the shops."
WHAT!?!?!?!? That would have warranted a trip to Guest Services for me!!!

On my 1st cruise, I fell in love with the H2O products... On the last night, I asked my room steward if I could maybe have 1 more of each to bring home... he handed me 5 of each tube... I said it was too much, and he shrugged and said that it wasn't a big deal, he gives ppl extras all the time, and that I should take them and enjoy them...

I think there are far worse things in this world to get worked up into a lather about... <--- see what I did there...

Why do you have to "put your two cents in".. but it's only a
"penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going?
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: