Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
I don't know if I would say that it is an inferior setup, it's just different. This is probably why many adults choose connecting balcony rooms over concierge.

As an adult I would easily share a bed with my sister. They really can't pretend to know everyone's preferences. That being said, the murphy bed in the non-concierge room pulls down and works for sleeping, but not really for getting around the room either. You can't access the balcony with it out. Every room has some sort of compromise.

Also, add another vote for the pull down bunk being pretty comfortable. Every adult and child I've ever spoken to has had nothing bad to say about it. Unless you have physical issues getting up and down the ladder I would think positive.

We specifically chose this setup (Cat V) when traveling with my 78 year old mother in law so that she would have the double pull out and more room to be comfortable.

To each their own!
My sister is too big to go on the pull-down. Therefore sharing a double would be ridiculously cramped.

IMHO, a Murphy bed us FAR superior to something that comes down from the ceiling.

I just wish they had been more forthcoming rather than saying "It can sleep 5 adults so you'll be fine." What would happen if 5 adults did book it and all of them were over the weight limit? Based on DCL's statement, it would have been booked on their word for the number of guests. I know my parents specifically booked it because they were told the number it slept. They were NOT told the bed comes down out of the ceiling.

But like I said, sleep is overrated I think. Oh well.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Grammy4Lizzy
Mouseketeer
 
Grammy4Lizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 285

I slept very comfortably on the top bunk for a week. You just take your time going down the ladder.
__________________
Magic 11/23/98 Wonder 8/31/06 Wonder 11/26/08 Magic 9/19/09 Magic 10/10 Wonder 4/29/12 Magic 11/2/2014
DVC SSR Since 2005
WDW trips
1977 Off site 1989 offsite 1995 CBR 1998 Dixie Landings 2001 All Star Music 2002 offsite 2006 Offsite2008 SSR 2010 AKL SSR 2/2013 AKV 7/2014
DLR Too many to count since 1955
<a href="http://distickers.com/ticker/"><img src="http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers/dclvaeke2lunlnr5.png" alt="DIStickers.com Ticker" border="0"/></a>
Grammy4Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran
 
MedicGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Niagara Falls, Canada
Posts: 939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
That kinda sucks that concierge rooms have inferior set-ups to non-concierge. Clearly things were NOT explained correctly to my dad when he talked to someone from DCL as I know they knew we are 4 adults.

Oh well. No sleep for three nights won't kill me. I don't think.

Just wondering, how they have it explained it wrong to your family? Just because you are 4 adults in a room, there are sleeping arrangements for all of you.

Many adults have used the upper pull down. It has worked for many.

And I am sure, that when designing these rooms, they didn't take into consideration that there may need to be a mattress on the floor. As most people typically sleep in the beds provided.

You are already assuming that the sleeping arrangements are going to be horrible, and that you wont sleep. You don't even know that you will have a hard time. Why not go in with the attitude that it will be fine??

As well, you're a grown adult. Why not get your own room? Than you won't have an issue with the sleeping arrangements?
__________________
MedicGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
I don't know if I would say that it is an inferior setup, it's just different. This is probably why many adults choose connecting balcony rooms over concierge.

As an adult I would easily share a bed with my sister. They really can't pretend to know everyone's preferences. That being said, the murphy bed in the non-concierge room pulls down and works for sleeping, but not really for getting around the room either. You can't access the balcony with it out. Every room has some sort of compromise.

To each their own!
Exactly
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #20
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Greater Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
My sister is too big to go on the pull-down. Therefore sharing a double would be ridiculously cramped.

IMHO, a Murphy bed us FAR superior to something that comes down from the ceiling.

I just wish they had been more forthcoming rather than saying "It can sleep 5 adults so you'll be fine." What would happen if 5 adults did book it and all of them were over the weight limit? Based on DCL's statement, it would have been booked on their word for the number of guests.

But like I said, sleep is overrated I think. Oh well.
If everyone was over the weight limit to sleep in the top bunk they'd probably have to pick two rooms over one if for nothing else than the bathroom space. Until you get to the 1br suites the bathrooms are all pretty cramped. Split is nice and all but I'm always smacking around on everything (and I'm the most average of average height/weight).
__________________
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

106 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post

If everyone was over the weight limit to sleep in the top bunk they'd probably have to pick two rooms over one if for nothing else than the bathroom space. Until you get to the 1br suites the bathrooms are all pretty cramped. Split is nice and all but I'm always smacking around on everything (and I'm the most average of average height/weight).
That's assuming they were told the bed pulls down from the ceiling and has a weight limit. My parents were told neither. Because the DCL person didn't say "pull down bunk" it seemed it would be a Murphy bed. That's what I think when I hear the phrase "pull down BED". Big difference between a BED and a BUNK.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
That kinda sucks that concierge rooms have inferior set-ups to non-concierge. Clearly things were NOT explained correctly to my dad when he talked to someone from DCL as I know they knew we are 4 adults.

Oh well. No sleep for three nights won't kill me. I don't think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
My sister is too big to go on the pull-down. Therefore sharing a double would be ridiculously cramped.

IMHO, a Murphy bed us FAR superior to something that comes down from the ceiling.

I just wish they had been more forthcoming rather than saying "It can sleep 5 adults so you'll be fine." What would happen if 5 adults did book it and all of them were over the weight limit? Based on DCL's statement, it would have been booked on their word for the number of guests. I know my parents specifically booked it because they were told the number it slept. They were NOT told the bed comes down out of the ceiling.

But like I said, sleep is overrated I think. Oh well.
Look here http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...with-verandah/ and in the slide show there is a picture facing the door that shows part of the sofa, a chair and the bed. Maybe you actually could put the mattress next to the bed but the chair would most likely need moved. I have stayed in one of these cabins my last 6 cruises but I'm not certain the space by the chair/ bed is as large as the photo makes it seem.
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #23
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
My sister is too big to go on the pull-down. Therefore sharing a double would be ridiculously cramped.

IMHO, a Murphy bed us FAR superior to something that comes down from the ceiling.

I just wish they had been more forthcoming rather than saying "It can sleep 5 adults so you'll be fine." What would happen if 5 adults did book it and all of them were over the weight limit? Based on DCL's statement, it would have been booked on their word for the number of guests. I know my parents specifically booked it because they were told the number it slept. They were NOT told the bed comes down out of the ceiling.

But like I said, sleep is overrated I think. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
That's assuming they were told the bed pulls down from the ceiling and has a weight limit. My parents were told neither. Because the DCL person didn't say "pull down bunk" it seemed it would be a Murphy bed. That's what I think when I hear the phrase "pull down BED". Big difference between a BED and a BUNK.
Not defending whoever your parents talked to but it is clearly stated in DCL's website the room configuration for a Cat. V = Queen-size bed, double convertible sofa, upper berth pull-down bed.
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #24
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,257

It's clearly a moot point now. My parents are taking us on the trip for a joint their 45th anniversary and my sister and my birthday celebration (hence the why don't I get my own room answer), so I will have to deal. We will be letting them know they should probably change their verbal description from "bed" to "bunk" though.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
It's clearly a moot point now. My parents are taking us on the trip for a joint their 45th anniversary and my sister and my birthday celebration (hence the why don't I get my own room answer), so I will have to deal. We will be letting them know they should probably change their verbal description from "bed" to "bunk" though.
However it works out for you, I hope you have a great cruise!
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomagic View Post

However it works out for you, I hope you have a great cruise!
Thanks.

As to the website v. someone talking, believe it or not, not everyone does things via the Internet.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
As to the website v. someone talking, believe it or not, not everyone does things via the Internet.
Umm, I am quite aware of that thank you! It was meant more in the line that if it was out there for the public to see, there is really no reason for someone working the reservations at DCL not to be aware of the same info too.
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!
 
Dug720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,257

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomagic View Post
Umm, I am quite aware of that thank you! It was meant more in the line that if it was out there for the public to see, there is really no reason for someone working the reservations at DCL not to be aware of the same info too.
Ah, gotcha. And I agree wholeheartedly.
__________________
Dug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
gomagic
Go Bucks!
 
gomagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Buckeye State- Home of TBDBITL
Posts: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
Ah, gotcha. And I agree wholeheartedly.
No problem!
__________________
gomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCastaway View Post
Just ask your stateroom host to make up the bed on the floor. He/she will take care of it all, and then store the mattress back above during the day so it is out of the way. This works best if you also ask the stateroom host to remove the small table from the room for the duration of the cruise. We always used to do this on the Magic when our kids were little and we were worried about them on the top bunk.

Also, if you are on the Magic or Wonder, the double bed can be split into two twin beds (ask your stateroom host and he/she will convert when they get the beds ready on the first night). I don't think they have this option on the Fantasy or Dream. Enjoy your cruise!
Currently, the Magic & Wonder have the queen bed that can be separated into twins. After the Magic's dry dock, only the Wonder will have this option.

The Dream & Fantasy's queen bed does not split into twins.
__________________


13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.