Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,773

The only other options might be cancel for any reason insurance. It might be too late for a lot of outside insurance companies but you can add DCL up to the final payment date. Now, there are a lot of caveats -- it wouldn't cover airfare if you booked that on your own, it's not the cheapest insurance, you only get a future cruise credit, not a refund, etc. so you have to do your own research. But it is an option.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School
 
BensDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
The only other options might be cancel for any reason insurance. It might be too late for a lot of outside insurance companies but you can add DCL up to the final payment date. Now, there are a lot of caveats -- it wouldn't cover airfare if you booked that on your own, it's not the cheapest insurance, you only get a future cruise credit, not a refund, etc. so you have to do your own research. But it is an option.
I booked the DCL insurance option, does that automatically include "cancel for any reason"?
__________________
BensDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,773

DCL's insurance is basically two parts - one is regular insurance (can't remember the insurance company they use) so if you have to cancel for a covered reason like illness, you would file an insurance claim as normal and get a refund. The second part of DCL's insurance is a type of cancel any reason. So if the insurance company denies your claim (because it is not one of their covered reasons), then DCL gives you a credit toward a future cruise in the amount covered.

So the short answer is, yes it is automatically cancel any reason insurance. You will get something regardless of why you cancel.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 58,870
DISboards Moderator

Just shortly, with the Disney insurance you have to put in a claim and have it denied. If the claim is denied, you won't get your money back, but you'll get cruise credit. Someone else may know how long it would take to get confirmation of the denial that you can present to DCL.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
anniemck
DIS Veteran
 
anniemck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
Hello all,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, I haven't been able to find it if it has.

My family and I are scheduled to sail Dream in early October. Our final payment is due in a few months. We did purchase the insurance along with our trip.

There is a possibility that I will change jobs over the summer and, if so, we will most likely need to delay our cruise. We don't have any interest in canceling outright - (the family would kill me!) - but it may need to be pushed into early 2014 instead.

Does anyone know what is the latest you can make a change of sailing date? What fees are associated with making such a change?

Thanks in advance!
When you interview let them know that you have a cruise that has been planned and paid in full. Most places are understanding. I know I have two trips planned later this year, as well as a trip to Texas for my SIL's basic training graduation. I interviewed for my job on Sunday, was asked if I had any questions and I mentioned these items... two of them I have dates for, the other I do not have a date for as of yet as we are not sure when he is leaving for basic yet. I was called Monday for second interview with the owner, at the end of the interview I again reiterated and she stated this is not a problem, they understand that people have lives, and plans. And that these plans were made before the job came up.
__________________

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School
 
BensDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Just shortly, with the Disney insurance you have to put in a claim and have it denied. If the claim is denied, you won't get your money back, but you'll get cruise credit. Someone else may know how long it would take to get confirmation of the denial that you can present to DCL.
Thank you tdc and clten! Do you know where I can find that in writing? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
__________________
BensDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #22
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,058

We have been on three DCL cruises, and each one I have booked a future cruise and ended up cancelling it due to indecisiveness. The cruises we have been on have been booked last minute. My life is too crazy too pay off something three months in advance and have it be non-refundable. We cruise during off season so the price is usually stable or sometime decreased at last minute. I have no advice, but I feel for you. It reaffirms my decision to always book last minute.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School
 
BensDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 615

I'm about a month out from our PIF date. Still no word from the company. Rumors are that I would go to class around July 17th which means I would finish school around September 1st. If that's the case I might still be ok to take the cruise.

Finally found the language I was looking for. It's not in the contact itself, it's on the vacation protection plan website: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...vel-insurance/

"If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Line will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Line vacation."

So it looks like we can hang on to our reservation until it looks like there is absolutely no chance that we could make the trip. Then cancel... and then what is the process?

Call Disney and cancel the cruise -- will they help us to submit a claim?

Then they deny the claim so we call DCL back and tell them, "hey, the claim was denied. Can we reschedule for a later date?"

Pick a later date and everything we have paid (less the insurance) is applied to the new booking?
__________________

Last edited by BensDaddy; 06-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
BensDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Ofinn
DIS Veteran
 
Ofinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,058

I would move the cruise to January and if you don't get hired move it back to Oct. I don't think the price will go up that much since it's off season. The chances of them offering VGT rates in October are pretty good. You may end up paying less if you just wait. Why stress yourself out over cancellation fees. Good luck on the job.
__________________

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #25
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School
 
BensDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
I would move the cruise to January and if you don't get hired move it back to Oct. I don't think the price will go up that much since it's off season. The chances of them offering VGT rates in October are pretty good. You may end up paying less if you just wait. Why stress yourself out over cancellation fees. Good luck on the job.
I would do that, but we have the exact cabin we wanted - same cabin we had on our 10th wedding anniversary.

Think we will take the chance.
__________________
BensDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #26
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
I'm about a month out from our PIF date. Still no word from the company. Rumors are that I would go to class around July 17th which means I would finish school around September 1st. If that's the case I might still be ok to take the cruise.

Finally found the language I was looking for. It's not in the contact itself, it's on the vacation protection plan website: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...vel-insurance/

"If you purchase the Vacation Protection Plan and cancel your vacation for any reason not covered by the insurance plan, Disney Cruise Line will credit 100% of the non-refundable cancellation fee toward a future Disney Cruise Line vacation."

So it looks like we can hang on to our reservation until it looks like there is absolutely no chance that we could make the trip. Then cancel... and then what is the process?

Call Disney and cancel the cruise -- will they help us to submit a claim?

Then they deny the claim so we call DCL back and tell them, "hey, the claim was denied. Can we reschedule for a later date?"

Pick a later date and everything we have paid (less the insurance) is applied to the new booking?
They'll tell you how to submit the claim - you should be able to do it through the Internet. The claim will be denied. You then call DCL and explain what happened, send them the documentation, and they'll credit it to you. You can then apply the credit to a future cruise.

It takes a while for the entire process to happen, but it works and it's the reason that I always get DCL insurance.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #27
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!
 
insureman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!
Posts: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemck View Post
When you interview let them know that you have a cruise that has been planned and paid in full. Most places are understanding. I know I have two trips planned later this year, as well as a trip to Texas for my SIL's basic training graduation. I interviewed for my job on Sunday, was asked if I had any questions and I mentioned these items... two of them I have dates for, the other I do not have a date for as of yet as we are not sure when he is leaving for basic yet. I was called Monday for second interview with the owner, at the end of the interview I again reiterated and she stated this is not a problem, they understand that people have lives, and plans. And that these plans were made before the job came up.
I would be careful doing this in a competitive job market. I would not hire someone if they are telling me they are taking a vacation before they are hired. There are ten more people behind them not telling me they are taking a couple of trips.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
BensDaddy
Graduate of Goofy's Flight School
 
BensDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bella Vista, AR
Posts: 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
I would be careful doing this in a competitive job market. I would not hire someone if they are telling me they are taking a vacation before they are hired. There are ten more people behind them not telling me they are taking a couple of trips.
yeah, I agree. I'm not going to take any chances with that. If I decide to take the job (not even sure if i'll take it yet if it is offered) we'll just reschedule the trip.
__________________
BensDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #29
scribega
Where's Perry??
 
scribega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensDaddy View Post
yeah, I agree. I'm not going to take any chances with that. If I decide to take the job (not even sure if i'll take it yet if it is offered) we'll just reschedule the trip.
I was hired last year a month before our WDW vacation. I trained for two weeks and then took the vacation. My company was understanding.
__________________
Offsite - Sept. 2002
Offsite - Jan. 2006
POFQ - Sept. 2007 - free dining
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
scribega
Where's Perry??
 
scribega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 323

We are going through a similar situation right now. We have just past our PIF date and now something has popped up that may or may not happen. So we might have to delay our cruise. Can I add insurance now? I am in the 45-75 day window.
__________________
Offsite - Sept. 2002
Offsite - Jan. 2006
POFQ - Sept. 2007 - free dining
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.