Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Unhappy My Garden View Tea Room (Grand Floridian) Experience

Hi guys

I've just been writing up the last day of my TR where we had a booked an ADR for a little afternoon break at the Garden View Tea Room at the GF. It reminded me that I wanted to share my experiences here.

Just a little bit of a background: we were a group of four twenty-something year old girls spending a two week vacation at WDW. Three of us were from the UK whilst one was from Wisconsin - we had met in 2011 working in WDW on the College Program and this was a sort of little reunion for us.

We visited the GVTR on our last full day of our vacation - May 10th. We knew we were going to be spending the whole of our last day at MK but for a little break that afternoon we decided we'd do something different. When our ADR window opened up back in October last year, I phoned and got a reservation for 3:40pm.

We had all been looking forward to this, especially Tanya our American friend who said she had always wanted to do an 'afternoon tea' like the British However, and I hate to say this, it was a huge disappointment, and really not a nice experience

We arrived on time and didn't have to wait long to be seated. It was a lovely setting and surprisingly quite small - I could see why you needed to have an ADR for this place! Our server arrived with our menus and gave us some time to make our choices. The menus only contained the small number of 'set' afternoon teas that were on offer (starting from around $30 each) and a large number of the tea blends that were available to drink. I was impressed by the tea blends that were on offer - some of them sounded delicious. However, I was a little puzzled as to how there were no individual food items available on the menu.

I had read posts on the DIS previously about how people had been able to order scones, trifle, strawberries etc. all as separate items. The menu on WDWinfo also shows that this is still the case: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dinin...taurant.id=305

We had all been looking forward to ordering a pot of tea and some of these items. Seeing as we'd only had lunch a few hours previously, we had no interest at all in ordering a full set tea each and neither did we feel the cost was worth it. However, when the server returned, I ordered my tea (Shanghai Rose), and asked if I could get a scone as well.

He simply informed me: "no Miss, that is not possible" and just continued to look at me as if he expected me to order something else. I dared to ask why it was not possible and was informed that they don't sell individual items - if I wanted something like that, then I had to order the full tea Wow... super helpful...

I just wondered, has anybody else had this experience? Is it a recent thing? Because, like I said, I had read many other experiences where people had ordered individual things...

Anyhow, disappointed, I just settled for a pot of tea and said I wouldn't be ordering anything else. The server looked at me in a disgustedly, and really patronisingly said "you’re JUST ordering some tea and that’s it?"... I couldn't understand what the problem was. I swear he even rolled his eyes! Probably he was expecting that we'd order at least $100 worth of items here this afternoon but not now since we were now only going to order drinks/tea each due to not being able to purchase individual items There was really no need for him to speak to us like that, and he made us feel so tiny.

He returned with the pots of tea and drinks, and just plonked them on the table in silence. No chat, no talking, no information about the tea he just served or how to let it brew... just silence before he walked away. I just felt so out of place due to the way we were being treated and I couldn't wait to leave. If I wasn't so worried about making sure my friends were enjoying themselves, I would have got up and walked out right there and then.

We drank our drinks whilst feeling super awkward and uncomfortable. We were sitting towards the centre of the room, close to the pastries and food items. What surprised me as I looked around, was during the middle of the afternoon, these were all sat there entirely uncovered. I was kinda glad I wasn't allowed that scone now...

We didn't hear another peep out of the server until I had to try and catch his attention so that we could pay our bill. He brought over the check, still acting like everything was just too much effort for him and it was now that I'd had enough. I was upset and uncomfortable and angry and I informed him that we wouldn't be leaving a tip as we were not happy with the service that we'd received. He just looked at me. Thinking back now, I should have asked to speak to a manager but I just couldn't wait to get out of there. I regret that.

So I guess that's what I wanted to share really. More than anything, I'm interested in whether anyone else has experienced the same sort of treatment and whether anyone has been recently and has also been told that they can no longer order individual food items? I'm gutted that this experience didn't work out the way we'd planned as I know my friends were looking forward to it immensely. However, we learnt our lesson and we won't be returning. I think in the future we'd just spend those couple of hours staying in MK
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
BethEJo

Sorry mods, just realised that I posted this thread in the wrong section - it was meant to go on the restaurant review board
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

That stinks, the only suggestion I would have made would be to ask a manager if it was possible to order just side pastries. They may have changed that policy and he was correct (although he should have ditched the bad attitude).

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
PuppyPrincess
Too far from the Golden Dome and the Castle!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. When I was there in December you could order separate items. They must have changed it. I did have a lovely older woman as a server. In fact I visited on two separate occasions last year and was very pleased with both visits. I agree, I would have asked to speak with a manager about the way you were treated. If you have the opportunity, I hope you will give it another try. Just make sure you get another person to wait on you. WDW is a place to make your vacation memories great, they should not have left you not feeling the magic on your last day. Sending pixie dust across the ocean
PuppyPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
That stinks, the only suggestion I would have made would be to ask a manager if it was possible to order just side pastries. They may have changed that policy and he was correct (although he should have ditched the bad attitude).
Agreed....no excuse for the bad attitude.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
bwifan
Mouseketeer

I'm wincing as I read this. Sorry. You handled it well though.
bwifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Jool-e
Mouseketeer

When I went to the tea room a couple of years ago, I could of sworn they had an a la carte menu so you could just order single items. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Was there a change to the menu? Either way, I'm sorry the rude service ruined your experience.
Jool-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

Dang, I hope they haven't taken away the a la carte menu. If so, I'm going to be cancelling my ADR with them.

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
That's exactly what I am wondering: have they changed the policy by not allowing guests to order a la carte now? However, I can't find anything about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyPrincess View Post
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. When I was there in December you could order separate items. They must have changed it. I did have a lovely older woman as a server. In fact I visited on two separate occasions last year and was very pleased with both visits. I agree, I would have asked to speak with a manager about the way you were treated. If you have the opportunity, I hope you will give it another try. Just make sure you get another person to wait on you. WDW is a place to make your vacation memories great, they should not have left you not feeling the magic on your last day. Sending pixie dust across the ocean
If they have stopped a la carte ordering then I definitely will not return - will be interesting to know if this is the case or whether the server was just having a really bad day As soon as we returned to MK after tea we headed straight to meet Mickey; made everything better again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Agreed....no excuse for the bad attitude.
I thought it was part of an 'act' first of all, but nope, he just had an issue with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwifan View Post
I'm wincing as I read this. Sorry. You handled it well though.
Thanks. Still wish I had spoken to a manager though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jool-e View Post
When I went to the tea room a couple of years ago, I could of sworn they had an a la carte menu so you could just order single items. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. Was there a change to the menu? Either way, I'm sorry the rude service ruined your experience.
They definitely used to have an a la carte menu as until recently I had read lots of experiences where people had ordered that way Would really love to know if this is all a change to the menu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Dang, I hope they haven't taken away the a la carte menu. If so, I'm going to be cancelling my ADR with them.
I really hope they have kept it
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
erinscreen
Mouseketeer

I know, I was just there last month and they did have an a la carte menu, but I'm not sure "just a scone" was an option. I think it was more like you could order the course a la carte. I'm sorry for the bad experience as this is a "must-do" item when I go.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinscreen View Post
I know, I was just there last month and they did have an a la carte menu, but I'm not sure "just a scone" was an option. I think it was more like you could order the course a la carte. I'm sorry for the bad experience as this is a "must-do" item when I go.
This is all so strange

The menu I was referring to when I mentioned scones etc was this one which is taken from WDWInfo:

Quote:
British Cheese Plate - A selection of traditional British cheeses, served with an array of seasonal fruit.
English Blue Stilton Cheese - Served with walnuts and marinated berries. Served with Fonseca Port
English Trifle - English trifle.
Freshly Baked Scones - Freshly baked scones served with Devonshire cream and preserves.
Gentleman's Tea Platter - House-made duck and cherry terrine, chicken & pork roulade, country pate en croute, accompanied by marinated berries, cumberland sauce and English Blue Stilton, the "King" of English cheeses.
Plate of Assorted Tea Sandwiches - Plate of assorted tea sandwiches.
Sally Lunn Bread - Sally Lunn Bread
Strawberries & Cream - Strawberries and cream.
Two Jam Tarts - Two Jam Tarts
We couldn't order anything like this - it wasn't even in the menu. As I mentioned, our served informed us that we had to order one of the full set teas if we were interested in trying anything like this
Old 06-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The a la carte menu is at the bottom of everything and is easy to miss. My aunt didn't see it and she was looking at the same menu I was. Manager was needed absolutely. his attitude goes against everything I know about the servers there. Our servers have been wonderful.

When was your visit?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
The a la carte menu is at the bottom of everything and is easy to miss. My aunt didn't see it and she was looking at the same menu I was. Manager was needed absolutely. his attitude goes against everything I know about the servers there. Our servers have been wonderful.

When was your visit?
I scoured the whole menu numerous times for the a la carte section - I knew what I was looking for it so I'm sure I would have seen it but it wasn't there. If for some reason I did miss it I have no idea why the server told me that my only option was to order one of the set teas which he pointed out to me when he stated that. Again, I'm confused

Our ADR was for 3:40pm on May 10th
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
BethEJo

I have just taken a look at the DisneyFoodBlog and there is a guest review of the tea room for May 14th.

There's a sentence in the review that states:

Quote:
Diners can choose between many a la carte options and teas, or opt for a tea service and food accompaniment.
This is just too weird... I wonder if it was just a case that our server was being a jerk and decided not to inform us about this when I had clearly enquired about it I don't want to believe that...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

According to All Ears menu they have the full tea sets and the ala carte menu as well. I have never done the tea but we go to WDW often and they change menus all the time. That's no excuse for the way you were treated. I would send a letter to WDW Guest Relations and just let them know your experience. A good server would have tried to accommodate you in some way - even, perhaps allowing you to share one of the sets. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Edited to add - I just looked the Tea Room on the official WDW site and though I can't pull up the menu, it does state it is ala carte AND prix fixe.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: