Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #676
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Our little family is SO excited for Monsters University, I can't stand it. We are going on Sunday since that is hubby's day off, and I seriously wish I could fast-forward through the week to get there. (Especially since my darling children have decided to reject napping and the days are SOOOOOOOO long without that break.)

Here are the outfits I have been working on this week for my boys for the movie:

They are both the same (to prevent fights.) so the one on the left is the front, the right is the back. I do have enough of the Monsters fabric to make them bowling shirts later on if I find time.
I sorta love this guy "taped" to the back of the shirt:

AND...

(One of my sons took this for me, not too bad.)

I made myself another Dana top. I saw this fabric a few weeks ago and it screamed Monsters Inc to me, so I decided I needed a Monsters Inc shirt too. My friend whom I made the bowling shirt for our Disney trip is coming with us to the movie, so I am sure we will be quite the sight!

(to refresh, this is the shirt I made her)

Thinking my husband NEEDS a Monster shirt, maybe I will do the Mike W face on a Lime Green shirt this week sometime so he doesn't feel left out!
Oh my goodness these are fantastic! I especially like your blouse!
Did you make the embroideries?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #677
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Oh my goodness these are fantastic! I especially like your blouse!
Did you make the embroideries?
The Monster's University Crest and the Mike W taped to the back are both froufroubyheathersue, the Monsters on my top are from Applique Ave, which shut down a couple months ago and offered all the designs for $10 I think. The ones on the bowling shirt I truly can't remember, I made that last summer. I did the ones on the back by re-hooping over and over and doing oval appliqués and footballs w/o the laces if I recall. Basically 12 different appliqués (albeit simple ones) on the back and 4 for the front. Definitely a labor of love and not something I am eager to do again!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #678
sewdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Our little family is SO excited for Monsters University, I can't stand it. We are going on Sunday since that is hubby's day off, and I seriously wish I could fast-forward through the week to get there. (Especially since my darling children have decided to reject napping and the days are SOOOOOOOO long without that break.)

Here are the outfits I have been working on this week for my boys for the movie:

They are both the same (to prevent fights.) so the one on the left is the front, the right is the back. I do have enough of the Monsters fabric to make them bowling shirts later on if I find time.

AND...

I made myself another Dana top. I saw this fabric a few weeks ago and it screamed Monsters Inc to me, so I decided I needed a Monsters Inc shirt too. My friend whom I made the bowling shirt for our Disney trip is coming with us to the movie, so I am sure we will be quite the sight!

Thinking my husband NEEDS a Monster shirt, maybe I will do the Mike W face on a Lime Green shirt this week sometime so he doesn't feel left out!
The little shirt and shorts are SO CUTE!

Nice bowling shirt too! You did a great job on everything!
sewdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #679
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The Monster's University Crest and the Mike W taped to the back are both froufroubyheathersue, the Monsters on my top are from Applique Ave, which shut down a couple months ago and offered all the designs for $10 I think. The ones on the bowling shirt I truly can't remember, I made that last summer. I did the ones on the back by re-hooping over and over and doing oval appliqués and footballs w/o the laces if I recall. Basically 12 different appliqués (albeit simple ones) on the back and 4 for the front. Definitely a labor of love and not something I am eager to do again!
Thank you!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #680
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

AND...

I love all of them.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #681
Luv2DressEmUp
Mouseketeer

In a bind

I am making a few shirts for another family going down to Disney in a few weeks. I was SURE I'd be able to find red tank tops esp with the 4th coming up, but I am out of luck.

Anyone know where I can quickly order nice red tanks?
Luv2DressEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #682
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2DressEmUp View Post
I am making a few shirts for another family going down to Disney in a few weeks. I was SURE I'd be able to find red tank tops esp with the 4th coming up, but I am out of luck.

I haven't bought tank tops but I often get shirts from jiffy shirts. They ship fast and have a wide selection.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #683
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Red has been hard to find for a couple years for me.good luck.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #684
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

I have been looking for a true Red everywhere this year, and I have not had any luck at all. Of course, it doesn't help that my girls and I are picky and will only wear certain shirts... So far - no luck.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #685
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

I am sooo far behind, but I did go back several pages in an attempt to catchup.

Quote:

AND...

I LOVE all of the MI stuff!!! Seriously - that is dd's theme for our next trip - so I've been all over searching for great MI ideas... However - I have yet to get to JoAnn's to get the new fabric... Maybe I should just order online - that may go better for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
My older son is a Disney lover. He's joined me on a couple of my "solo" trips. It's the younger one who gave Disneyland a 3 out of 10! Kids!

My older son and I just did a quickie trip to Las Vegas to see "Love," the Beatles inspired Cirque show. Our tickets were so expensive (I bought them on Monday for a Wednesday trip) that I now have enough points for a trip to Los Angeles.

I know, I know.

When junior son graduated from power school in South Carolina he wanted to go to Busch Gardens in Tampa. We flew to SC, rented a car and drove to FL. We drove by lots of Disney signs, I could see the top of the Tower of Terror, but he didn't want to go to Disney, just Busch Gardens.

Placemats on my next post. I really do like them.

According to the rules on page one I see it is mandatory to share all sewing whether or not Disney related.

2.You MUST share pictures of everything (and unfortunately, we do mean EVERYTHING)!

I offer this post in order to comply with all regulations:

Has any one made the uklass dollhouse? I gave it a go yesterday. I went back and forth between making it as directed and modifying it. I went as far as I needed to go to get the general idea of how to make one and quickly discovered it would be too small for my broccoli family, so am done for now.

Just wondering if anyone else has made one. I can see how they’d be fun to make and personalize if you had someone (other than broccoli) to make one for.

The house . . .

Too small for Mr. Broccoli, let alone the rest of the bunch . . .

Open house . . .

You get the idea . . .

I’ll eventually make another one.

When I do the preview the pictures are HUGE, but I think I've found out in the past that they shrink. If not, sorry!!!
Hi Cheryl!!! It's great to see you! Love the house and your broccoli family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuteDISkids View Post
Hello everyone! I am new-ish to the Dis and new to here. I lurked the Dis for months before joining (you don't have much to contribute when you are there to learn!). Once I felt schooled I joined in. I have been lurking your thread for awhile (which sounds so stalker-ish ;-)) and I am amazed and inspired by all the wonderful creations you ladies have made. While I don't know most of you I hope you'll let me hang around and learn the craft. My mil taught me to sew a few years ago and got me a sewing machine. While I'm not great, I have made a few things with her help, which I will post eventually. I'm gearing up for my 2014 wdw trip and I am starting to plan for my kids outfits, 2 dd 4&7 and 1 ds who's 1. It's our first family trip and I tend to go over the top. Eeek!

The reason to finally post is that I was excited today and you were the only ones who I thought would care. I've decided to make pillowcase dresses for our dis trip, but I thought I'd do a trial run with some July 4th ones. While shopping at Jo Ann's, I came across a clearance rack.....and I scored a gorgeous Tiana fabric for $2.50 yard! It made my day! I think I'm going to use some of it make a mixed piece tutu (well 2 of them of course, my oldest loves to match her sister). Since none of my friends really sew and dh could care less, I was busting at the seams to tell someone!! Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to getting to 'know' all of you
Welcome! Awesome find!

Quote:
Finally I get to show you some of my sewing.

First up are the quilts I made Izzy's kindergarten teachers.

And a round neck dress for Izzy.

Must do her 4th of July outfit soon.
Awesome! Izzy is adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelleatheart View Post
As usual, I get back to a computer and the creativity of you all is astounding.
Thought I would share a kind of nice story if you don't mind. We moved our son and fiance' to Orlando last week. We took a few days to visit my parents (ages 83 & 85) at their active adult community. The ladies had decided on a project and they needed a little assistance from me.
The project was to purchase 10-15 sewing machines and teach young mothers how to sew, either for themselves or as a possible job skill. My job was to refurbish all the machines they had collected. It was fun yet tedious to teach these ladies how to thread the newer machines. They all can sew on a machine (except my Mom). Of course, they had so many brands of machines I hit Walmart several times to get bobbins, oil, needles! Then took them shopping on Craigslist to see what else they wanted to buy.
One lady donated a machine that belonged to her Mom. I googled it. It was worth way more than she thought. Pristine Singer Featherweight 221 with all the attachments, case and original manuals. They decided not to put that in the project and resell it for the cash.
It was the BEST working vacation I ever took! While I worked on sewing machines, DH made his way around the complex fixing toilets. sinks, putting up shelves, changing oil in cars. We drove back north after 9 days when it was supposed to be a 3 day trip feeling it was time well spent.
This is not solicitation, just thought you all would enjoy hearing about what these ladies are doing for their community. Now they have 10 machines ready to go, a room to put them in and everything is up and running for their launch date of Sept. 2013.
LOVED this story! And how nice of you and DH to give of your talents as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Doll clothes are so small, which always gives me trouble.

Here are a few things I made for our Universal trip:

These were for our Universal day - Sponge Bob and Patrick theme. The yellow shirt is for Curtis and I wore the pink one.

Casey wore the pink tank and her dad wore the yellow shirt

The kids wore these our first day at Islands of Adventure when we went to Harry Potter "land". When I was packing I could not find my son's shirt anywhere. Everyone looked but we could not find it. I ended up making another one the night before we left. Of course, I found it yesterday on the front porch where I took it to take some pictures.

I made these for my daughter as "extras". My son wore his Scooby Doo shirt and Casey wore her Mystery Machine shirt after they got soaked in Curious George's playland. We never found Scooby and Shaggy this day I think because we were in TS Andrea and they were not out.

These are my first "felt" designs and I am planning on taking off the appliques and reusing the shirts since we don't have much of a use for them after our trip.

I made a few Dr. Suess themed items but I have to get some pictures of them.

Curtis wore this shirt to his end of year movie day since he was planning to watch Monsters Inc. I had just purchased this design so I quickly made this shirt for him. One item done for our Oct trip.

I made these outfits for my nieces and nephews. There are two sets of cousins one boy and one girl, live near each other so I wanted to send something for everyone. I just appliqued some beach dresses from Walmart and both of the girls really love them.

These shirts were for the boys. My sister loved the shrimp boat since she calls her son Bubba. She calls it his Bubba Gump shirt but I just thought the design was cute.

I also made this for my daughter but I don't think she is a fan. She doesn't like that you can't tell what the letters are on the pocket. Of course there is no explaining the monogram concept to her.
As usual, loved everything Liz!

Quote:

Despite all of your issues with it - I think it turned out awesome - it's very flattering on you. I didn't grab the quote with the Donald photo - but I just loved that you outlined that applique in khaki felt - it looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

You are always so clever Flora! That dress is so adorable - I wish I could wear dresses, I always want to, but I just never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdumbo View Post
I am trying to make a habit of coming over here more often, so I am sharing my most recently completed project.
Super - duper cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #686
darnheather
DIS Veteran

Another round neck for Izzy (she's wearing it over the bathing suit which is why it looks funny)

Matching doll dress.

And the first piece for Disney! Blouse for D!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #687
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Another round neck for Izzy (she's wearing it over the bathing suit which is why it looks funny)

Matching doll dress.

And the first piece for Disney! Blouse for D!
The dresses and blouse look great.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #688
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My embroidery machine woes continue to depress me, but I took my kids to the splash park this morning for a few hours and they went down for a LONG nap afterward (I could have easily slept too!) so I finished my Dana Scientific Seamstress sew-along top today. It's pretty much outside my comfort zone fabric/color/style wise, but I am pretty happy with it. I am a t-shirts and not much else sort of person. Sadly I had a LOT of trouble with this, not any of which was the pattern, it was actually quite easy. I did the ruffle over like 6 times, first two times I sewed it to the wrong side... Then I tried to do the ruffle on the serger has I have done with most ruffling recently and it didn't work (though a sample fabric would work so I think it was the tiny ruffle or something.) so I had to cut off the ruffle so many times. The rest was OK, but ran out of bobbin thread about 1.5 inches from the end, the last 25 stitches of the whole thing. But I got through it. And it is done.

I love your Dana shirt. I made the Maddie shirt for my DD and found the ruffle part a little confusing. I feel like the directions were missing a step and/or picture. And that was after I read your post and paid extra attention to that step. Of course I didn't finish it until Sunday so I didn't post it on the SS Lab page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
According to the rules on page one I see it is mandatory to share all sewing whether or not Disney related.

2.You MUST share pictures of everything (and unfortunately, we do mean EVERYTHING)!

I offer this post in order to comply with all regulations:

Has any one made the uklass dollhouse? I gave it a go yesterday. I went back and forth between making it as directed and modifying it. I went as far as I needed to go to get the general idea of how to make one and quickly discovered it would be too small for my broccoli family, so am done for now.

Just wondering if anyone else has made one. I can see how they’d be fun to make and personalize if you had someone (other than broccoli) to make one for.

The house . . .

Too small for Mr. Broccoli, let alone the rest of the bunch . . .

Open house . . .

You get the idea . . .

I’ll eventually make another one.

When I do the preview the pictures are HUGE, but I think I've found out in the past that they shrink. If not, sorry!!!
Cheryl - that came out very nice. It looks more complicated then something I would ever want to tackle. Mr. Broccoli looks yummy, even if he doesn't fit in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cuteDISkids View Post
Hello everyone! I am new-ish to the Dis and new to here. I lurked the Dis for months before joining (you don't have much to contribute when you are there to learn!). Once I felt schooled I joined in. I have been lurking your thread for awhile (which sounds so stalker-ish ;-)) and I am amazed and inspired by all the wonderful creations you ladies have made. While I don't know most of you I hope you'll let me hang around and learn the craft. My mil taught me to sew a few years ago and got me a sewing machine. While I'm not great, I have made a few things with her help, which I will post eventually. I'm gearing up for my 2014 wdw trip and I am starting to plan for my kids outfits, 2 dd 4&7 and 1 ds who's 1. It's our first family trip and I tend to go over the top. Eeek!

The reason to finally post is that I was excited today and you were the only ones who I thought would care. I've decided to make pillowcase dresses for our dis trip, but I thought I'd do a trial run with some July 4th ones. While shopping at Jo Ann's, I came across a clearance rack.....and I scored a gorgeous Tiana fabric for $2.50 yard! It made my day! I think I'm going to use some of it make a mixed piece tutu (well 2 of them of course, my oldest loves to match her sister). Since none of my friends really sew and dh could care less, I was busting at the seams to tell someone!! Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to getting to 'know' all of you :-)
WELCOME. Great score on the fabric. Can't wait to see what you make with it.

Quote:
Finally I get to show you some of my sewing.

First up are the quilts I made Izzy's kindergarten teachers.

And a round neck dress for Izzy.

Must do her 4th of July outfit soon.
Wow, those quilts are amazing. What a wonderful gift. I really like the round neck dress. That would be a cute pattern to use for a nautical themed dress (and I love the whale one you just posted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
Photobucket and I seem to be getting along now so here are the projects I've worked on this week.

The first is a Hello Kitty sundress, hat and there are pink shorts under the dress.

My grandson's favorite toys are balls so the fabric for this shirt was perfect.

A friend asked me to make a bear for her from a suit that belonged to her father-in-law who died last year.
The HK dress is adorable and the ball shirt looks great. You did a really nice job on the Teddy Bear, and the fact that he is made from your friend's FIL's suit makes it even better. What a great way to keep someone in your thoughts.

Quote:
My turn for machine woes. My embroidery machine was not tracking properly yesterday and I needed to get Izzy's 4th outfit done. I took the machine in today and of course it worked for the service man. Anyway we scolded me for using spray glue and canned air. I didn't know those were no-no's. He's going to service it and check the tracking with the computer. Sigh. Didn't need more money out of my pocket this month.
Bummer. I think I have heard others say that canned air can force fuzz into the smaller "holes" instead of blowing it out. I don't use spray adhesive very often but I imagine it can cause your machine to get "gummed up". I did use it today but I always spray it on my ironing board, not near my machine. Hope you get it back soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkNH View Post
I am SO not going to be able to keep up. Way too busy with this guy:

This is Loki. He was rescued from a shelter in TX along with his 9 brothers and sisters and mom when they were 1 day old, same day they were scheduled to be put down. A wonderful rescue found a brave foster family who raised 10 puppies until they were old enough to travel up north and be adopted (mom now lives happily with the foster family) and I was lucky enough to get this guy for myself. Hes a lab mix..no idea what the mix is of, but he is super smart, and super sweet and I am head over heels for him!

On the sewing front...my mother surprised me with a Brother Pe770..so I have been making tee shirts left and right And I made this dress:

Off to take Loki out to pee and collapse into bed...hopefully will find time to read up on what everyone has been doing!
Your new puppy is so cute. I am sure he is keeping you busy. Congrats on the new machine. That dress and applique are really cute.

Quote:

AND...

Love the outfits for the boys. The taped up Mike on the back looks cool. Your shirt came out perfect and I love seeing that shirt you did for your friend again. Your DH definitely needs a Monsters Inc shirt

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #689
scrap_heaven
Planning our second family trip to the MOUSE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubie View Post
Teresa, this is for you.
And Jan 2013
OMG - this is amazingly beautiful! I love the rainbow of polka dots
Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #690
erieckers
Earning My Ears

Quick question... How many of you make these things for a living? I would love to quit my full time job and work from home but I'm not sure if that is just a dream or something I can make a reality.
erieckers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: