Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

What Clothes to Bring for LA-Disney-San Diego?

We arrive in LA next Thursday (yea!) and will spend a total of 11 days in SoCal. We have 1 night in Santa Monica; 1 night in Huntington Beach; 4 nights at Disneyland Hotel; and 4 nights in San Diego. My question is what to wear?

I was planning to bring skorts, capris, and shorts, with short sleeve shirts and a light jacket. Does this sound sufficient?

Thanks!
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Epek
Mouseketeer

Sounds perfect! Since you'll be where the ocean breezes hit most of the time, it probably won't get super hot. As other threads have mentioned, we're in our "June Gloom" season where it can be cloudy and a little chilly in the am, sunny in warm as the clouds burn off, and cool after sunset. The warmest time of the day is usually 2 or 3-6. That threw me when I first moved here, so I feel it's worth noting. Also, don't let the cloud cover make you lazy when it comes to wearing sunscreen. You will still get burned!
Epek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much! Now I have one more question since you live in the area. Are there any "rules" about how to dress? For example, when I went to NYC, I read on TripAdvisor forums that locals do not wear shorts & tennis shoes out unless they are exercising. When preparing for San Francisco, I was told that if you wear capri pants, you'll stick out as a tourist.

Now, I know I'm a tourist. And I know that most people will know that I'm a tourist. Heck, as soon as I open my mouth and people hear my Southern drawl, they'll know I'm not from around those parts. However, I do want to respect the ways of locals and dress in a manner that draws less attention to myself. So please advise me if there is anything I should know to keep me from looking like a country bumpkin come to town.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Epek
Mouseketeer

I totally understand how you feel! When I first moved out here, I was afraid to go out places for fear that I wasn't "trendy" enough! I quickly realized, Cali is very laid back, unless you're hitting up the super hip Hollywood places, which is rare for even most locals. You'll see all kinds of dress any time. A dark jean is perfectly acceptable as dress slacks most of the time! Now, if you are planning on doing a very nice dinner, I may call the restaurant and ask their policy, just in case. To me, the only time someone's clothes scream tourist, is when it's in the high 60's to mid 70's and someone is wearing shorts! I know where a lot of people live that's common, but your blood thins so fast when you move here, that to us, it's cold! Heck, I'm sure I never wore a jacket once it hit 70 where I used to live, but I do now sometimes! Really, no one's going to look bad at you for doing so, it's just the one example I have to answer your question. Have so much fun and don't stress! LA is also a huge melting pot of all kinds. You won't stick out, believe me, even with the accent!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

I'd throw in at least one pair of jeans... it get's pretty chilly in the evenings, so if you're going to be doing Disneyland, Sea World etc. at night, you might want them to change into.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epek View Post
I totally understand how you feel! When I first moved out here, I was afraid to go out places for fear that I wasn't "trendy" enough! I quickly realized, Cali is very laid back, unless you're hitting up the super hip Hollywood places, which is rare for even most locals. You'll see all kinds of dress any time. A dark jean is perfectly acceptable as dress slacks most of the time! Now, if you are planning on doing a very nice dinner, I may call the restaurant and ask their policy, just in case. To me, the only time someone's clothes scream tourist, is when it's in the high 60's to mid 70's and someone is wearing shorts! I know where a lot of people live that's common, but your blood thins so fast when you move here, that to us, it's cold! Heck, I'm sure I never wore a jacket once it hit 70 where I used to live, but I do now sometimes! Really, no one's going to look bad at you for doing so, it's just the one example I have to answer your question. Have so much fun and don't stress! LA is also a huge melting pot of all kinds. You won't stick out, believe me, even with the accent!
This! And that's why I love it here!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess View Post
I'd throw in at least one pair of jeans... it get's pretty chilly in the evenings, so if you're going to be doing Disneyland, Sea World etc. at night, you might want them to change into.
Thanks! I was thinking maybe I should. I was mostly thinking about the fact that we're going to a Padres game next Wednesday evening. I thought that just sitting there (rather than walking around) may be chilly. Now to begin packing!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
CluelessDisFan
DIS Veteran

Sorry to highjack. But what should I bring to SoCal in late September? We're going to San Diego and DLR.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
Epek
Mouseketeer

Same stuff! But, it may be on the warmer side. We don't get a fall cool off until Oct.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
yiersan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
To me, the only time someone's clothes scream tourist, is when it's in the high 60's to mid 70's and someone is wearing shorts! I know where a lot of people live that's common, but your blood thins so fast when you move here, that to us, it's cold! Heck, I'm sure I never wore a jacket once it hit 70 where I used to live, but I do now sometimes!
LOL... so true! We take fleece jackets & long pants w/ us to DLR during the hottest part of summer b/c when the sun sets it can get chilly quickly!

[QUOTE=LA is also a huge melting pot of all kinds. You won't stick out, believe me, even with the accent![/QUOTE]
One of the many reasons I love living here.

Quote:
Same stuff! But, it may be on the warmer side. We don't get a fall cool off until Oct.
Ditto!! And honestly the first part of November can be pretty warm too, especially in the valleys. CluelessDisFan, definitely check the extended forecast as you begin to pack for your fall trip.
yiersan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: