Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools
 
scojos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wolverhampton, uk
Posts: 2,877

fibro and autism and GAC ??? s

hello, not been around for a while, so i apologise if these questions have been dealt with.
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since our last trip and have been issued with a blue badge... can anyone explain how the valet parking works? is it appropriate to park at the contemporay or poly leave car there all day so we can make it rapid departure if my asd kid needs it? (we are staying on site so this is NOT to avoid paying parking fees its just for convenience iyswim.)
we have had a gac for ds the last few visits, but i know wdw are cracking down on the abuse (rightly so) can anyone tell me what has changed and how these changes will affect us?

thanks alot for info....

Tracy
__________________
2004 - 1 week I Drive / 1 week Miami
2006 - 3 weeks 192 / 5 days HRH
2008 - 2 weeks PORS free DDP
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran
 
PatMcDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,936

Having a GAC in the parks has nothing to do with parking. You may have a handicapped parking placard, that will help at most of the parks. I drive to Epcot, Studios, AK.

MK is the problem. I have a special needs son, and using the busses is difficult for me with him, and the parking at MK is so far away from the entrance.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
hello, not been around for a while, so i apologise if these questions have been dealt with.
I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since our last trip and have been issued with a blue badge... can anyone explain how the valet parking works? is it appropriate to park at the contemporay or poly leave car there all day so we can make it rapid departure if my asd kid needs it? (we are staying on site so this is NOT to avoid paying parking fees its just for convenience iyswim.)
we have had a gac for ds the last few visits, but i know wdw are cracking down on the abuse (rightly so) can anyone tell me what has changed and how these changes will affect us?

thanks alot for info....

Tracy
If you have a gov issued handicap placard then it valet will be free and you can stay as long as you want. I would pick contempory because you can walk to and not have to relay on the monorail but that me.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools
 
scojos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wolverhampton, uk
Posts: 2,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
If you have a gov issued handicap placard then it valet will be free and you can stay as long as you want. I would pick contempory because you can walk to and not have to relay on the monorail but that me.
i have a UK blue badge which i have checked can be used inside wdw, but not outside.
what happens at dtd, are there blue badge spaces if so, where, we usually end up at eos or wpe for dinner can we palk nr there? bringing my scooter is too much hassle so going to rent inside parks, but obviously no good for dtd.....


thats excellent info ref valet parking so ty.... whats the normal tip for valet parking? its all new to me
__________________
2004 - 1 week I Drive / 1 week Miami
2006 - 3 weeks 192 / 5 days HRH
2008 - 2 weeks PORS free DDP
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post

i have a UK blue badge which i have checked can be used inside wdw, but not outside.
what happens at dtd, are there blue badge spaces if so, where, we usually end up at eos or wpe for dinner can we palk nr there? bringing my scooter is too much hassle so going to rent inside parks, but obviously no good for dtd.....

thats excellent info ref valet parking so ty.... whats the normal tip for valet parking? its all new to me
Sorry yes you okay with the blue badge in dtd just look for the handicap spots they will have a sign and might have blue paint and the wheelchair symbol. For valet tip 1 or 2 dollars I say is fine.


For lot one market place when you enter it no on your right then make a left and the first row is where the handicap spots are. Each lot has them just not sure where they are in each I say they would be along the first row.


Another option is if you like to see a dtd resort is use the valet their and take the boat over. Not sure where you are staying some have more then one lot so it might be better to park in the lot closest to the building then use valet but that be up to you.

Let us know if you have anymore questions and have fun on your vacation.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,823
DISboards Moderator

The information in post 6 of he disABILITIES FAQs thread about GACs is still correct. One of the reasons I do not have a lot of extremely specific information in it is so it will still be correct even if they make some changes in how things are handled.

GACs were not designed to give immediate access, so you should expect to show the GAC at each attraction where you plan to use it and the CM will direct you.
If the wait in the regular line is 20 minutes or less, expect that you may be told to enter the regular line and that no accommodations may be available.
Using a website like www.touringplans.com or www.easywdw.com will help you a lot with avoiding crowds and waits. Using Fastpass can help too.

Every attraction (with exception of the few that guests must be ambulatory) is wheelchair accessible to the boarding area. Not every line is ECV accessible - especially for the very large park rental ones. If this is an issue for you, you can ask to borrow an attraction wheelchair for use in the queue. Ask before parking the ECV. You don't need a GAC to do that.

You may want to consider renting n ECV from off site - less expensive and you are guaranteed to have one - plus you can use it at your resort. There is information about renting in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Most of the companies rent models that can be taken apart for transport in a van or car trunk.
You cn also use WDW transportation with ECVs.

You will still be asked when you come into the resort gate why you are going to be there, even if you intend to valet park.

Downtown Disney is more difficult as far as handicapped parking - there are not that many spots compared to the number of people who wish to use them. So, we often have to drive around for a while or my husband drops us off and then parks somewhere else in the lot and meets up with us later. When we are one, he goes to get the car and then picks us up.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,171

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
i have a UK blue badge which i have checked can be used inside wdw, but not outside.
what happens at dtd, are there blue badge spaces if so, where, we usually end up at eos or wpe for dinner can we palk nr there? bringing my scooter is too much hassle so going to rent inside parks, but obviously no good for dtd.....


thats excellent info ref valet parking so ty.... whats the normal tip for valet parking? its all new to me
Eh, the normal tip for valet parking is $2-$5. This isn't normal, I look at as a bonus of sorts - so when I valet park at WDW, I tend to tip in the $8-$10 range.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,823
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Eh, the normal tip for valet parking is $2-$5. This isn't normal, I look at as a bonus of sorts - so when I valet park at WDW, I tend to tip in the $8-$10 range.


I would agree. This isn't a 'normal' situation.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

I say give them 5 dollars their parking it in the same lot as every other car they valet only thing different is their not charging you. The op from the uk they luckily visit most of the time for two weeks or longer. So if they do it once every day for two weeks that 140 if you tip 10.

Tipping is what you feel comfortable with so the op has to decide what right for them what they will be fine with.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Gracie09
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,082

Just be aware that sometimes they run out of ECvs in the parks.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,823
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
I say give them 5 dollars their parking it in the same lot as every other car they valet only thing different is their not charging you. The op from the uk they luckily visit most of the time for two weeks or longer. So if they do it once every day for two weeks that 140 if you tip 10.

Tipping is what you feel comfortable with so the op has to decide what right for them what they will be fine with.
I agree that the OP needs to decide what they are comfortable with.

The regular price for valet parking would be $15 plus tip.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/parking.htm

They are talking about parking valet at Contemporary only for the days they go to MK, so not every day of a 10-14 day vacation. So, not $140 total, even if they tip $10 a day.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
I agree that the OP needs to decide what they are comfortable with.

The regular price for valet parking would be $15 plus tip.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/parking.htm

They are talking about parking valet at Contemporary only for the days they go to MK, so not every day of a 10-14 day vacation. So, not $140 total, even if they tip $10 a day.
Your right I was factoring if they valet at their resort but your right it might not be everyday. I still think 5 is more then good but that me. Yeah so if you tip ten that 5 less then it coast to pay to park that why I would just pay 5.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools
 
scojos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wolverhampton, uk
Posts: 2,877

thank you for the advice, esp about dtd, i do feel the "drop and run" tactic will be used

we are staying at okw so will not be using valet at the hotel, it will purely be for if we are dining at a hotel that has valet and for MK days. i do feel $10 is steep imho, that said us brits struggle with tips, and give too much or not enough... one day i ll get the hang of this!! (though i did pull the 1c trick when we had very very poor service (service?? what service??) and got chased by the waiter!! when i fronted him up and told him exactly why i didnt tip him the manager got involved and reimbursed all our meals... now i know the way not to get chased is leave a tip lmao!!!

i am more than aware of how the gac works, and have used it for a variety of adaptations to facilitate my sons and familys visit but am esp interested in hearing about how things have changed following the media stories on abuse... they may have been exaggerated by the press, but as its all about my sons quality of life id rather warn him of any changes now... Im sure no one with an asd kid would criticize me for that (and if anyone thinks a pm is more appropriate thats fine.

thanks for any help

x
__________________
2004 - 1 week I Drive / 1 week Miami
2006 - 3 weeks 192 / 5 days HRH
2008 - 2 weeks PORS free DDP
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
disney david
DIS Veteran
 
disney david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hartsdale, ny
Posts: 3,512

Quote:
Originally Posted by scojos View Post
thank you for the advice, esp about dtd, i do feel the "drop and run" tactic will be used

we are staying at okw so will not be using valet at the hotel, it will purely be for if we are dining at a hotel that has valet and for MK days. i do feel $10 is steep imho, that said us brits struggle with tips, and give too much or not enough... one day i ll get the hang of this!! (though i did pull the 1c trick when we had very very poor service (service?? what service??) and got chased by the waiter!! when i fronted him up and told him exactly why i didnt tip him the manager got involved and reimbursed all our meals... now i know the way not to get chased is leave a tip lmao!!!

i am more than aware of how the gac works, and have used it for a variety of adaptations to facilitate my sons and familys visit but am esp interested in hearing about how things have changed following the media stories on abuse... they may have been exaggerated by the press, but as its all about my sons quality of life id rather warn him of any changes now... Im sure no one with an asd kid would criticize me for that (and if anyone thinks a pm is more appropriate thats fine.

thanks for any help

x
Me to so tip what you feel comfortable with their no wrong answer okay that great then for dtd you can take the boat over to dtd and not have to worry about the parking at dtd. Was that at Disney that they chased you they should never ever chase any guest for not leaving a tip a tip is something you earn and if you didn't earn it then you don't get one. I am glad the manager took care of it now the worker most likely was fired or had to pay for the meal so mean less money for them all over a tip not sorry I gave you bad service please come back and we make it up to you no the server chases you sorry that happened.
__________________
www.mentalhealth.va.gov/suicide_prevention

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #15
scojos
I want to be Tinkerbell and fly on the wire to start wishes
Thinks Disney studies should be taught in all schools
 
scojos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wolverhampton, uk
Posts: 2,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Me to so tip what you feel comfortable with their no wrong answer okay that great then for dtd you can take the boat over to dtd and not have to worry about the parking at dtd. Was that at Disney that they chased you they should never ever chase any guest for not leaving a tip a tip is something you earn and if you didn't earn it then you don't get one. I am glad the manager took care of it now the worker most likely was fired or had to pay for the meal so mean less money for them all over a tip not sorry I gave you bad service please come back and we make it up to you no the server chases you sorry that happened.
yes, was at disney... not going to say which restaurant but was a TS at MK which is renound for poor service....
__________________
2004 - 1 week I Drive / 1 week Miami
2006 - 3 weeks 192 / 5 days HRH
2008 - 2 weeks PORS free DDP
2010 - 2 weeks SSR free DDP 1 week creekside villa
2013- 2 weeks okw free ddp[/SIZE]
me dh ds1 ds2dd
scojos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.