Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
mom2twokids
Mouseketeer

Day 3 Tracy Arm

Today was probably my least favorite day of the cruise. Having said that, my least favorite day on a Disney cruise is way better than spending the day at home!! I just found there to be a lack of activities scheduled for the day throughout the ship and even the kids clubs were lacking activities. Thankfully that doesn't bother my kids, they love every minute there activity or no activity.
For me, I wasn't interested in sitting on the deck for 4 hours. I don't have thick enough skin for that and no number of blankets is going to make that warm enough for me!

We had breakfast in Triton's today which always takes longer but it is so nice to know you will have a table and you don't have to battle the crowds at the buffet. I think if we didn't have the kids we would have eaten here every day.

We wandered the ship a bit but the kids wanted to go to the kids club, so off they went.

I forgot to mention that my parents had spotted whales twice on our first sea day. Once they were just in their stateroom looking outside and they saw a couple of whales. The second time they were sitting by guest services looking out the window and there they were. Apparently the second sighting was quite the show. The whales were in and out of the water quite a few times and splashing their tales. It made the cruise for my parents as they have never seen anything like this.

I hunted down my parents who had found a cozy spot on deck 10 right behind the partition of glass so they could watch the approach into Tracy Arm. They had been sitting there well before 11:00 am so that they would get good seats. Believe it or not, my parents spotted their third whale spotting! We still hadn't seen any, but they had seen 5 of them in total. This time it passed right along the front of the ship. They were pretty excited about this.

Unfortunately around 11:30 people started piling in in front of the glass to watch the view, blocking my parents view. I don't blame the people for standing where they were. It's just unfortunate that my dad had no other option that was sheltered to view the scenery as he can't see over the railings if he is right up along side them.

On deck 10 they serve hot chocolate and cookies and pass out blankets to anyone who is interested. It's a great set up, but it sure got packed in there by 12:30 and there was no space at all. If my dad was able to we probably would have gone to the secret deck on 7 as I don't think that got too busy at all.

My husband took the 3 oldest kids for swim while I joined my parents for lunch with our baby. The kids had a lot of fun swimming. It's nice to have empty pools and many people joked that it was only the Canadians that actually went swimming in the pools, but we are just fine with that!
As a side note - My husband did attempt to take our 2 year old swimming the day before but he said the water was not warm at all and it was drizzling a bit so they got right back out and decided they would try some other time.

We went down to beach blanket for the special Alaska BBQ they around 11:45 as this is when our server told us to arrive, even though it didn't start until 12:00. Apparently this is what every server told all their tables, as it was PACKED and there was no way we were ever going to find a table. After getting a little bit of food we decided to just go back to the room and eat it there. The decks were packed, the buffet was packed and it was too cold to eat at the tables on deck 9 that weren't sheltered. I later attempted the buffet again and it was almost empty around 1:30.

After lunch my husband took the two younger kids for a much needed nap and I took the two oldest to wander the ship. If you are interested in seeing the characters in their Alaskan outfits, be sure to wander deck 4 and have your camera ready. There was no mention of these characters being out and we just kept running into them. It's unfortunate that we had no idea as I would have been really sad if we had missed them all. Luckily we ran into Mickey, Minnie and Donald on deck 4 and Pluto on deck 9.

You will find the characters in the lobby later that evening, but it's not the same as actually having them with the Alaska background.

We were not able to make it right up to the glacier as there were so many icebergs in the way and the icebergs had quite a few seals on them. It's hard to hear the announcements when they come on the loudspeaker but what I caught from it was that if we went any further we risked spooking the mama seals and they are known to abandon the baby seals when they sense danger. We definitely couldn't let that happen. So we unfortunately did not get right up to the glacier. I wish we could have, but it did not ruin the cruise for me in the slightest. We could still see it from a distance even if the view was obstructed. It was still a beautiful sight.

Those little black spots are seals.

We didn't listen too much to the narration as it was difficult to hear and understand. I was very interested in hearing this information but it just wasn't happening. I did end up sitting up on deck 9 with my parents for a while and enjoying the scenery. We saw our share of birds, but not much more than that.

Tonight was dinner in Parrot Cay, which we were late for, again. We wanted to meet the characters that we hadn't seen in their Alaskan get up and they were there at 5:15 or 9:30 and I knew we wouldn't make it until 9:30, so being late for dinner was our best option. I'm pretty sure this was the only night we had the opportunity to meet them in their outfits and we weren't going to miss that opportunity. This also meant that we missed the evening show, which was a hypnotist. Koda and Minnie were out at 7:45 and we were not done with them before the show at 8:30. No one seemed to mind though.
The kids went off to the kids club for a couple of hours while the rest of us wandered the ship.

It was another day and we definitely enjoyed it. I only wish that they had more stuff going on around the ship for those of us who weren't interested in being on the deck for 4 hours. I also wish that we had gotten tea party tickets for this day instead of the last sea day.
mom2twokids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: